Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

  • bross_nyc
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
      Oops - I seem to have inserted my cursor below the "...<kiphoge8>
      wrote:" line. In case anyone was confused, Kiphoge did not write
      that!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "bross_nyc" <bross.00@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable
      housing
      > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
      > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away
      from
      > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the
      bike
      > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
      > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see
      if
      > it's a cleaner install.
      >
      > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
      > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
      > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
      > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.
      >
      > I'll post some pictures once all is done.
      >
      > Thanks again for all of your help!
      >
      > A now estatic SUB owner,
      >
      > -Brian
      >

      > > Hi Brian,
      > >
      > > First, I have to apologize for the problems you encountered. I
      had
      > not given
      > > my full attention to the additional installation considerations
      of
      > the
      > > Breezer Uptown, and only installed my first one to completion
      last
      > week.
      > > Like you, I discovered that some extra parts and instructions
      would
      > be
      > > needed.
      > >
      > > Dropouts
      > > I've never found the cassette orientation of the Nexus in
      vertical
      > dropouts
      > > to be problematic, shifting-wise. Though I have had to slightly
      > bend the
      > > housing stop bracket to keep the housing out of the chain's way.
      > Please let
      > > me know about your success with new washers. That would obviously
      > be the
      > > cleaner fix and I'd like to supply those. I didn't know they
      > existed. Yeah
      > > for roots radicals!
      > >
      > > Chain
      > > I didn't have to use a half link on the Uptown. Just by securing
      > the wheel
      > > in the FreeRadical and then moving the FreeRadical back and forth
      > in the
      > > Breezer's dropouts, you should be able to get tension.
      > >
      > > Taillight
      > > I mounted it to the Rear Bridge, right between the two rear
      > uprights. I used
      > > two 25.4mm reflector brackets to do so, the kind with one screw
      for
      > > tightening the bracket to the bike and another hole for mounting
      the
      > > reflector.
      > >
      > > My goal is to get all these fixes in with the Breezers asap.
      Please
      > let us
      > > know the extra costs you incurred related to these items and
      we'll
      > give you
      > > a refund or store credit. Thanks for the patient attitude, too,
      and
      > thank
      > > you Andrew for your reply.
      > >

      > > yours,
      > >
      > > kipchoge
      > >

      > > Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
      > > Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical -
      the
      > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts
      on
      > the
      > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
      > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've
      learned I
      > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find
      anywhere.

      > > Chain length.
      > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
      > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
      > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will
      > surely
      > > result in too tight a chain.
      > >
      > > Taillight.
      > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this
      one
      > out
      > > - and thanks for the extra wire)
      > >
      > > --
      > > Kipchoge Spencer
      > >
      > > 29085 Highway 49
      > > North San Juan CA 95960
      > > 530/292-1401
      > > www.pleasantrevolution.net

    • John Speare
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006

        > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
        > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
        > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
        > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
        > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
        > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
        > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
        > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
        > it's a cleaner install.

        The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can do
        to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
        thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with them
        again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It will
        shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will slip
        in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
        load.

        > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
        > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
        > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
        > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

        check out this cheap mount:
        http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg

        it;'s about half way down this page:
        http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

        it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
        underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i get
        my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.

        Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a damn
        fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
        it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
        lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
        board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.

        --
        John Speare
        Spokane, WA USA
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
          Hey John,

          When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
          discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
          yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
          road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
          shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
          geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
          smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
          great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

          Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
          to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
          solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
          minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

          -Brian

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
            On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:

            > Hey John,
            >
            > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
            > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
            > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
            > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
            > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
            > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
            > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
            > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

            They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
            mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and
            a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
            I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.
            I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
            http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg

            I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling a
            lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
            running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low gear
            of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
            probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG hub
            would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all the
            groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.

            > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
            > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
            > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
            > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

            Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that could
            change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
            before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re saying.
            That's the kind of thing i would do.

            Good luck and have fun.

            John
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
              Hey John,

              The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
              calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
              to 88.6.

              I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
              Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

              wrote:

              > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hey John,
              > >
              > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
              > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
              the
              > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
              campy
              > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
              above bar
              > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
              > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
              > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
              > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
              >

              > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
              > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
              and
              > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
              > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
              dropouts.
              > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
              > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
              >
              > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
              > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
              > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
              gear
              > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
              > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
              hub
              > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
              the
              > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
              >

              > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
              decide
              > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
              > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
              absent
              > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
              wiring.

              > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
              could
              > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
              > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
              saying.
              > That's the kind of thing i would do.
              >
              > Good luck and have fun.
              >
              > John
              > --
              > John Speare
              > Spokane, WA USA
              > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

            • Susan
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
                I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
                railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
                recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

                http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

                  I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

                  My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical...

                  The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Brian,
                  >
                  > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                  > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                  > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                  >
                  > CL
                  >
                  > bross_nyc wrote:
                  >
                  > > Taillight.
                  > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                  > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                    I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

                    CL

                    bross_nyc wrote:

                    > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
                    > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
                    > environment, etc...
                    >
                    > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
                    > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
                    >

                    > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
                    > <http://www.lickbike.com>
                    >

                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Brian,
                    > >
                    > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                    > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                    > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                    > >
                    > > CL
                    > >
                    > > bross_nyc wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Taillight.
                    > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                    > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                    Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                    P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                    Longjing Sinjhuang
                    Taichung 434
                    Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/