RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

  • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
      Message
      Sounds like a super setup!  Congrats.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bross_nyc
      Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:43 AM
      To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

      --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Kipchoge Spencer"
      <kipchoge@.. .> wrote:

      I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Armed with all of your
      advise I went home last night and made the following adjustments:

      1. On my 21in. frame the chain was loose when all of the extra links
      were added and the Freeradical and wheel were set all the way in the
      dropouts. I hadn't thought to move the free radical w/i the bikes
      dropouts to adjust chain tension. But, Kipchoge's suggestion
      inspired me. I removed two links and adjusted the tension by moving
      the FreeRadical w/ the wheel fully set in it's dropouts. What a
      perfectly adjusted chain I now have.

      2. Tuning the internal-hub- gear. Once my chain was properly
      tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
      While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
      I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
      length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
      the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
      to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
      required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
      it's a cleaner install.

      Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
      Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
      custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
      store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

      I'll post some pictures once all is done.

      Thanks again for all of your help!

      A now estatic SUB owner,

      -Brian

      > Hi Brian,
      >
      > First, I have to apologize for the problems you encountered. I had
      not given
      > my full attention to the additional installation considerations of
      the
      > Breezer Uptown, and only installed my first one to completion last
      week.
      > Like you, I discovered that some extra parts and instructions would
      be
      > needed.
      >
      > Dropouts
      > I've never found the cassette orientation of the Nexus in vertical
      dropouts
      > to be problematic, shifting-wise. Though I have had to slightly
      bend the
      > housing stop bracket to keep the housing out of the chain's way.
      Please let
      > me know about your success with new washers. That would obviously
      be the
      > cleaner fix and I'd like to supply those. I didn't know they
      existed. Yeah
      > for roots radicals!
      >
      > Chain
      > I didn't have to use a half link on the Uptown. Just by securing
      the wheel
      > in the FreeRadical and then moving the FreeRadical back and forth
      in the
      > Breezer's dropouts, you should be able to get tension.
      >
      > Taillight
      > I mounted it to the Rear Bridge, right between the two rear
      uprights. I used
      > two 25.4mm reflector brackets to do so, the kind with one screw for
      > tightening the bracket to the bike and another hole for mounting the
      > reflector.
      >
      > My goal is to get all these fixes in with the Breezers asap. Please
      let us
      > know the extra costs you incurred related to these items and we'll
      give you
      > a refund or store credit. Thanks for the patient attitude, too, and
      thank
      > you Andrew for your reply.
      >

      > yours,
      >
      > kipchoge
      >

      > Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
      > Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical - the
      > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts on
      the
      > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
      > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've learned I
      > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find anywhere.
      >
      > Chain length.
      > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
      > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
      > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will
      surely
      > result in too tight a chain.
      >
      > Taillight.
      > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one
      out
      > - and thanks for the extra wire)
      >
      > --
      > Kipchoge Spencer
      >
      > 29085 Highway 49
      > North San Juan CA 95960
      > 530/292-1401
      > www.pleasantrevolut ion.net

    • bross_nyc
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
        Oops - I seem to have inserted my cursor below the "...<kiphoge8>
        wrote:" line. In case anyone was confused, Kiphoge did not write
        that!

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "bross_nyc" <bross.00@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        the
        > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts
        on
        > the
        > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
        > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've
        learned I
        > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find
        anywhere.

        > > Chain length.
        > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
        > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
        > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will
        > surely
        > > result in too tight a chain.
        > >
        > > Taillight.
        > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this

      • John Speare
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006

          > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
          > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
          > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
          > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
          > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
          > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
          > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
          > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
          > it's a cleaner install.

          The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can do
          to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
          thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with them
          again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It will
          shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will slip
          in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
          load.

          > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
          > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
          > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
          > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

          check out this cheap mount:
          http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg

          it;'s about half way down this page:
          http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

          it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
          underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i get
          my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.

          Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a damn
          fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
          it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
          lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
          board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.

          --
          John Speare
          Spokane, WA USA
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
            Hey John,

            When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
            discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
            yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
            road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
            shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
            geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
            smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
            great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

            Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
            to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
            solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
            minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

            -Brian

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
              On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:

              > Hey John,
              >
              > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
              > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
              > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
              > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
              > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
              > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
              > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
              > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

              They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
              mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and
              a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
              I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.
              I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
              http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg

              I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling a
              lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
              running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low gear
              of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
              probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG hub
              would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all the
              groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.

              > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
              > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
              > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
              > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

              Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that could
              change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
              before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re saying.
              That's the kind of thing i would do.

              Good luck and have fun.

              John
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                Hey John,

                The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
                calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
                to 88.6.

                I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
                Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

                wrote:

                > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Hey John,
                > >
                > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
                the
                > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
                campy
                > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
                above bar
                > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
                >

                > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
                > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
                and
                > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
                > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
                dropouts.
                > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
                > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
                >
                > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
                > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
                > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
                gear
                > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
                > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
                hub
                > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
                the
                > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
                >

                > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
                decide
                > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
                absent
                > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
                wiring.

                > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
                could
                > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
                > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
                saying.
                > That's the kind of thing i would do.
                >
                > Good luck and have fun.
                >
                > John
                > --
                > John Speare
                > Spokane, WA USA
                > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

              • Susan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
                  I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
                  railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
                  recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

                  http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

                    I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

                    My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical...

                    The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Brian,
                    >
                    > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                    > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                    > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                    >
                    > CL
                    >
                    > bross_nyc wrote:
                    >
                    > > Taillight.
                    > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                    > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                      I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

                      CL

                      bross_nyc wrote:

                      > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
                      > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
                      > environment, etc...
                      >
                      > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
                      > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
                      >

                      > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
                      > <http://www.lickbike.com>
                      >

                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Brian,
                      > >
                      > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                      > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                      > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                      > >
                      > > CL
                      > >
                      > > bross_nyc wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Taillight.
                      > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                      > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                      Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                      P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                      Longjing Sinjhuang
                      Taichung 434
                      Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/