Xtracycle Rocks Vegas

  • Paul H. Freedman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2001
      Dear Roots,

      Several newsworthy developments have come up recently at Xtracycle, and I
      hope they find you all well.

      First of all, the Xtracycle presence in Las Vegas, at the 2001 Interbike
      (the largest bike-related trade show) belied our actual numbers. In short,
      we were huge. The core crew (Kipchoge, Ross, Vange, Chad, and Ben) drove
      Millie down to Vegas with Isaac (resident Djembe accompanist and Millie Tour
      veteran), skillfully avoiding Nevada Highway 50 and thus preventing painful
      memories of Millie's spectacular 2am August breakdown, in which the fan flew
      off its bolts and mowed down the radiator. Whoops, sorry. Anyway, the crew
      drove to Vegas, picking up a Native American hitchhiker along the way named
      Silent Bob, who didn't say a word but smiled when the bus stopped to allow
      them to ride down the mountain passes into Death Valley. In Vegas Jimi Moe
      and girlfriend/lunch preparation goddess Linda, and Steve Howard and
      girlfriend/trade show dynamics expert Susan joined the team. Jimi
      facilitates Xtracycle's manufacturing in Taiwan, and Steve is the new
      Southern California rep for Xtracyle.

      Now, with this team of 10, and a keg of organic ale (donated of course by
      our good friends at Wolavers), Xtracycle managed to: throw the best party of
      Interbike 2001 (according to several impartial partygoers), make the daily
      trade show newspaper twice, sell 75 FreeRadicals and engage hundreds more
      potential buyers, and take over three trade show booths for the price of
      one. In order to achieve this monstrous presence they pulled an all-nighter
      before the show to build up 10+ Sport Utility Bicycles ready for test rides
      and guerrilla marketing!

      A special paragraph is needed for the salsa cycle, that custom stereophonic
      sonic bike that bumps out everything from Michael Franti to James Brown on
      retroactive retrofitted car stereo equipment. For the show, Ben decorated
      the entire bike with tiger fur and even a special set of tiger stripe tires.
      Then the crew brought the salsa cycle to every single Xtracyle event and
      group ride, motivating devotees to surf the Las Vegas strip in nothing but
      cowboy hats. Yeehaw!!!

      Second major event is that Xtracycle's business leaders, after much
      consultation with bean-counting spreadsheet springers, have decided to give
      the general public a permanent price break on Xtracycle FreeRadicals! Say
      goodbye to $390. The new very magic number is $299. So tell all of your
      friends who have been on the fence. $299 buys them the world's most useful
      bicycle. This price cutting strategy comes as Xtracyle is increasing its
      footprint in our target markets. But we still rely heavily on grassroots
      advertising. So tell everyone you know about the new deal on SUB's.

      Thirdly, news from XAccess, the non-profit sister of Xtracycle LLC. Adam
      French will be leaving soon to spearhead a major project in Kenya,
      manufacturing and distributing a low-cost, locally produced version of the
      FreeRadical to Kenyans. This project will combine the experience of our
      work in El Salvador and South Africa, but will benefit from a solid
      partnership with ApproTEC, a group of socially motivated engineers and
      product design and marketing experts in Nairobi. With Adam in Kenya
      starting November, I'll be leading the home front for XAccess. For those who
      are interested in getting involved, we are actively seeking donations and
      volunteers. Contact me or Adam (adam@...) for more details.

      Thanks for reading. Keep doing what you're doing, and keep your souls
      together.

      Yours,

      Paul Freedman

      Paul Freedman