Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

  • Kipchoge Spencer
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
      Hi Brian,

      First, I have to apologize for the problems you encountered. I had not given my full attention to the additional installation considerations of the Breezer Uptown, and only installed my first one to completion last week. Like you, I discovered that some extra parts and instructions would be needed.

      Dropouts
      I've never found the cassette orientation of the Nexus in vertical dropouts to be problematic, shifting-wise. Though I have had to slightly bend the housing stop bracket to keep the housing out of the chain's way. Please let me know about your success with new washers. That would obviously be the cleaner fix and I'd like to supply those. I didn't know they existed. Yeah for roots radicals!

      Chain
      I didn't have to use a half link on the Uptown. Just by securing the wheel in the FreeRadical and then moving the FreeRadical back and forth in the Breezer's dropouts, you should be able to get tension.

      Taillight
      I mounted it to the Rear Bridge, right between the two rear uprights. I used two 25.4mm reflector brackets to do so, the kind with one screw for tightening the bracket to the bike and another hole for mounting the reflector.

      My goal is to get all these fixes in with the Breezers asap. Please let us know the extra costs you incurred related to these items and we'll give you a refund or store credit. Thanks for the patient attitude, too, and thank you Andrew for your reply.

      yours,

      kipchoge

      Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
      Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical - the
      Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts on the
      freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
      impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've learned I
      need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find anywhere.

      Chain length.
      This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
      dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
      provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will surely
      result in too tight a chain.

      Taillight.
      Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
      - and thanks for the extra wire)

      --
      Kipchoge Spencer

      29085 Highway 49
      North San Juan CA 95960
      530/292-1401
      www.pleasantrevolution.net
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
        Hi Brian,

        I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
        of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
        on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.

        CL

        bross_nyc wrote:

        > Taillight.
        > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
        > - and thanks for the extra wire)
      • bross_nyc
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
          Kipchoge,

          Thanks for response and helpful tips. No worries about the extra
          effort needed. I'm enjoying the challenge!

          I'll let you (and everyone here) know how it comes together.

          Despite the minor tuning and assembly issues I enjoyed a test run on
          the bike last night - I know my car will be collecting lots of dust
          while I xtracycle around town.

          Once again thanks Andrew, Jesse and Kipchoge. Three cheers for Roots
          Radicals.

          -Brian

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Kipchoge Spencer"

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Kipchoge Spencer"
            <kipchoge@...> wrote:

            I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Armed with all of your
            advise I went home last night and made the following adjustments:

            1. On my 21in. frame the chain was loose when all of the extra links
            were added and the Freeradical and wheel were set all the way in the
            dropouts. I hadn't thought to move the free radical w/i the bikes
            dropouts to adjust chain tension. But, Kipchoge's suggestion
            inspired me. I removed two links and adjusted the tension by moving
            the FreeRadical w/ the wheel fully set in it's dropouts. What a
            perfectly adjusted chain I now have.

            2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
            tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
            While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
            I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
            length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
            the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
            to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
            required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
            it's a cleaner install.

            Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
            Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
            custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
            store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

            I'll post some pictures once all is done.

            Thanks again for all of your help!

            A now estatic SUB owner,

            -Brian

          • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
              Message
              Sounds like a super setup!  Congrats.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                Oops - I seem to have inserted my cursor below the "...<kiphoge8>
                wrote:" line. In case anyone was confused, Kiphoge did not write
                that!

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "bross_nyc" <bross.00@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                the
                > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts
                on
                > the
                > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
                > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've
                learned I
                > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find
                anywhere.

                > > Chain length.
                > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
                > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
                > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will
                > surely
                > > result in too tight a chain.
                > >
                > > Taillight.
                > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this

              • John Speare
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006

                  > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
                  > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
                  > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
                  > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
                  > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
                  > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
                  > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
                  > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
                  > it's a cleaner install.

                  The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can do
                  to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
                  thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with them
                  again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It will
                  shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will slip
                  in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
                  load.

                  > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
                  > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
                  > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
                  > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

                  check out this cheap mount:
                  http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg

                  it;'s about half way down this page:
                  http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

                  it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
                  underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i get
                  my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.

                  Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a damn
                  fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
                  it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
                  lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
                  board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.

                  --
                  John Speare
                  Spokane, WA USA
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                    Hey John,

                    When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                    discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
                    yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
                    road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
                    shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                    geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                    smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                    great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

                    Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
                    to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                    solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
                    minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

                    -Brian

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                      On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:

                      > Hey John,
                      >
                      > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                      > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
                      > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
                      > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
                      > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                      > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                      > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                      > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

                      They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
                      mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and
                      a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
                      I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.
                      I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
                      http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg

                      I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling a
                      lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
                      running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low gear
                      of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
                      probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG hub
                      would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all the
                      groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.

                      > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
                      > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                      > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
                      > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

                      Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that could
                      change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
                      before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re saying.
                      That's the kind of thing i would do.

                      Good luck and have fun.

                      John
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                        Hey John,

                        The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
                        calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
                        to 88.6.

                        I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
                        Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

                        wrote:

                        > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Hey John,
                        > >
                        > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                        > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
                        the
                        > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
                        campy
                        > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
                        above bar
                        > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                        > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                        > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                        > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
                        >

                        > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
                        > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
                        and
                        > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
                        > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
                        dropouts.
                        > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
                        > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
                        >
                        > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
                        > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
                        > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
                        gear
                        > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
                        > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
                        hub
                        > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
                        the
                        > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
                        >

                        > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
                        decide
                        > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                        > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
                        absent
                        > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
                        wiring.

                        > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
                        could
                        > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
                        > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
                        saying.
                        > That's the kind of thing i would do.
                        >
                        > Good luck and have fun.
                        >
                        > John
                        > --
                        > John Speare
                        > Spokane, WA USA
                        > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

                      • Susan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
                          I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
                          railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
                          recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

                          http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

                            I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

                            My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical...

                            The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                              I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

                              CL

                              bross_nyc wrote:

                              > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
                              > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
                              > environment, etc...
                              >
                              > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
                              > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
                              >

                              > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
                              > <http://www.lickbike.com>
                              >

                              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Brian,
                              > >
                              > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                              > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                              > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                              > >
                              > > CL
                              > >
                              > > bross_nyc wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Taillight.
                              > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                              > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                              Cara Lin Bridgman
                              Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                              P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                              Longjing Sinjhuang
                              Taichung 434
                              Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/