Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

  • bross_nyc
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
      Andrew - thanks so much for the rapid response and great suggestions.
      I'll let you know how your suggestions work out.

      -Brian

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Janjigian
      <ajanjigian@...> wrote:

      > Brian -
      >
      > I had my XC on a Bianchi Milano for awhile, and got it to work fine,
      > with a little fuss in the beginning. It used the same Nexus hub you
      > have.
      >
      > > Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
      > > Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical - the
      > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts on the
      > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
      > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've learned I
      > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find anywhere.
      > My LBS had a supply of these, and we had to try all colors to see
      > which ones worked best. Harris Cyclery stocks them. Maybe you could
      > buy a set and return the unneeded ones. Alternatively, you could just
      > use a lockwasher and tighten it really really well.
      > >
      > > Chain length.
      > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
      > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
      > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will surely
      > > result in too tight a chain.
      > I didn't have this problem, but one solution would be to use a half
      > link (http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1274). You might
      > just try removing one link at a time. The chain on a freewheeling
      > single speed does not have to be very taut to work well.
      > >
      > > Taillight.
      > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
      > > - and thanks for the extra wire)
      >
      > I don't know what kind of tail light you have, but Peter White sells
      > a variety of nice light brackets: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/
      > light-mounts.asp
      >
      > Hope this is helpful,
      > Andrew

    • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
        Message
        About chainlength:  You could also get a chain tensioner (surly makes one called the singulator) to take up the slack.  I have one on my sub and it works pretty great.

        <ajanjigian@ ...> wrote:

        > Brian -
        >
        > I had my XC on a Bianchi Milano for awhile, and got it to work fine,
        > with a little fuss in the beginning. It used the same Nexus hub you
        > have.
        >
        > > Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
        > > Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical - the
        > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts on the
        > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
        > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've learned I
        > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find anywhere.
        > My LBS had a supply of these, and we had to try all colors to see
        > which ones worked best. Harris Cyclery stocks them. Maybe you could
        > buy a set and return the unneeded ones. Alternatively, you could just
        > use a lockwasher and tighten it really really well.
        > >
        > > Chain length.
        > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
        > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
        > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will surely
        > > result in too tight a chain.
        > I didn't have this problem, but one solution would be to use a half
        > link (http://harriscycler y.net/itemdetail s.cfm?ID= 1274). You might
        > just try removing one link at a time. The chain on a freewheeling
        > single speed does not have to be very taut to work well.
        > >
        > > Taillight.
        > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
        > > - and thanks for the extra wire)
        >
        > I don't know what kind of tail light you have, but Peter White sells
        > a variety of nice light brackets: http://www.peterwhi tecycles. com/
        > light-mounts. asp
        >
        > Hope this is helpful,
        > Andrew

      • Kipchoge Spencer
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
          Hi Brian,

          First, I have to apologize for the problems you encountered. I had not given my full attention to the additional installation considerations of the Breezer Uptown, and only installed my first one to completion last week. Like you, I discovered that some extra parts and instructions would be needed.

          Dropouts
          I've never found the cassette orientation of the Nexus in vertical dropouts to be problematic, shifting-wise. Though I have had to slightly bend the housing stop bracket to keep the housing out of the chain's way. Please let me know about your success with new washers. That would obviously be the cleaner fix and I'd like to supply those. I didn't know they existed. Yeah for roots radicals!

          Chain
          I didn't have to use a half link on the Uptown. Just by securing the wheel in the FreeRadical and then moving the FreeRadical back and forth in the Breezer's dropouts, you should be able to get tension.

          Taillight
          I mounted it to the Rear Bridge, right between the two rear uprights. I used two 25.4mm reflector brackets to do so, the kind with one screw for tightening the bracket to the bike and another hole for mounting the reflector.

          My goal is to get all these fixes in with the Breezers asap. Please let us know the extra costs you incurred related to these items and we'll give you a refund or store credit. Thanks for the patient attitude, too, and thank you Andrew for your reply.

          yours,

          kipchoge

          --
          Kipchoge Spencer

          29085 Highway 49
          North San Juan CA 95960
          530/292-1401
          www.pleasantrevolution.net
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
            Hi Brian,

            I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
            of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
            on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.

            CL

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
              Kipchoge,

              Thanks for response and helpful tips. No worries about the extra
              effort needed. I'm enjoying the challenge!

              I'll let you (and everyone here) know how it comes together.

              Despite the minor tuning and assembly issues I enjoyed a test run on
              the bike last night - I know my car will be collecting lots of dust
              while I xtracycle around town.

              Once again thanks Andrew, Jesse and Kipchoge. Three cheers for Roots
              Radicals.

              -Brian

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Kipchoge Spencer"

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Kipchoge Spencer"
                <kipchoge@...> wrote:

                I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Armed with all of your
                advise I went home last night and made the following adjustments:

                1. On my 21in. frame the chain was loose when all of the extra links
                were added and the Freeradical and wheel were set all the way in the
                dropouts. I hadn't thought to move the free radical w/i the bikes
                dropouts to adjust chain tension. But, Kipchoge's suggestion
                inspired me. I removed two links and adjusted the tension by moving
                the FreeRadical w/ the wheel fully set in it's dropouts. What a
                perfectly adjusted chain I now have.

                2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
                tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
                While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
                I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
                length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
                the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
                to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
                required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
                it's a cleaner install.

                Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
                Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
                custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
                store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

                I'll post some pictures once all is done.

                Thanks again for all of your help!

                A now estatic SUB owner,

                -Brian

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                  Message
                  Sounds like a super setup!  Congrats.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                    Oops - I seem to have inserted my cursor below the "...<kiphoge8>
                    wrote:" line. In case anyone was confused, Kiphoge did not write
                    that!

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "bross_nyc" <bross.00@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    the
                    > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts
                    on
                    > the
                    > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
                    > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've
                    learned I
                    > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find
                    anywhere.

                    > > Chain length.
                    > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
                    > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
                    > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will
                    > surely
                    > > result in too tight a chain.
                    > >
                    > > Taillight.
                    > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this

                  • John Speare
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006

                      > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
                      > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
                      > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
                      > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
                      > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
                      > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
                      > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
                      > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
                      > it's a cleaner install.

                      The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can do
                      to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
                      thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with them
                      again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It will
                      shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will slip
                      in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
                      load.

                      > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
                      > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
                      > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
                      > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

                      check out this cheap mount:
                      http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg

                      it;'s about half way down this page:
                      http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

                      it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
                      underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i get
                      my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.

                      Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a damn
                      fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
                      it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
                      lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
                      board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.

                      --
                      John Speare
                      Spokane, WA USA
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                        Hey John,

                        When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                        discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
                        yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
                        road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
                        shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                        geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                        smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                        great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

                        Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
                        to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                        solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
                        minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

                        -Brian

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                          On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:

                          > Hey John,
                          >
                          > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                          > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
                          > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
                          > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
                          > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                          > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                          > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                          > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

                          They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
                          mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and
                          a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
                          I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.
                          I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
                          http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg

                          I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling a
                          lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
                          running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low gear
                          of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
                          probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG hub
                          would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all the
                          groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.

                          > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
                          > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                          > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
                          > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

                          Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that could
                          change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
                          before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re saying.
                          That's the kind of thing i would do.

                          Good luck and have fun.

                          John
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                            Hey John,

                            The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
                            calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
                            to 88.6.

                            I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
                            Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

                            wrote:

                            > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Hey John,
                            > >
                            > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                            > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
                            the
                            > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
                            campy
                            > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
                            above bar
                            > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                            > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                            > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                            > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
                            >

                            > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
                            > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
                            and
                            > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
                            > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
                            dropouts.
                            > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
                            > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
                            >
                            > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
                            > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
                            > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
                            gear
                            > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
                            > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
                            hub
                            > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
                            the
                            > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
                            >

                            > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
                            decide
                            > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                            > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
                            absent
                            > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
                            wiring.

                            > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
                            could
                            > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
                            > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
                            saying.
                            > That's the kind of thing i would do.
                            >
                            > Good luck and have fun.
                            >
                            > John
                            > --
                            > John Speare
                            > Spokane, WA USA
                            > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

                          • Susan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
                              I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
                              railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
                              recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

                              http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

                                I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

                                My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical...

                                The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                                  I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

                                  CL

                                  bross_nyc wrote:

                                  > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
                                  > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
                                  > environment, etc...
                                  >
                                  > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
                                  > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
                                  >

                                  > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
                                  > <http://www.lickbike.com>
                                  >

                                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Brian,
                                  > >
                                  > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                                  > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                                  > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                                  > >
                                  > > CL
                                  > >
                                  > > bross_nyc wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > Taillight.
                                  > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                                  > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                                  Cara Lin Bridgman
                                  Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                                  P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                                  Longjing Sinjhuang
                                  Taichung 434
                                  Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/