Re: [rootsradicals] Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

  • Andrew Janjigian
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
      Brian -

      I had my XC on a Bianchi Milano for awhile, and got it to work fine,
      with a little fuss in the beginning. It used the same Nexus hub you
      have.

      > Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
      > Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical - the
      > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts on the
      > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
      > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've learned I
      > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find anywhere.
      My LBS had a supply of these, and we had to try all colors to see
      which ones worked best. Harris Cyclery stocks them. Maybe you could
      buy a set and return the unneeded ones. Alternatively, you could just
      use a lockwasher and tighten it really really well.

      > Chain length.
      > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
      > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
      > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will surely
      > result in too tight a chain.
      I didn't have this problem, but one solution would be to use a half
      link (http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1274). You might
      just try removing one link at a time. The chain on a freewheeling
      single speed does not have to be very taut to work well.

      > Taillight.
      > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
      > - and thanks for the extra wire)

      I don't know what kind of tail light you have, but Peter White sells
      a variety of nice light brackets: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/
      light-mounts.asp

      Hope this is helpful,
      Andrew
    • bross_nyc
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
        Andrew - thanks so much for the rapid response and great suggestions.
        I'll let you know how your suggestions work out.

        -Brian

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Janjigian
        <ajanjigian@...> wrote:

        > Brian -
        >
        > I had my XC on a Bianchi Milano for awhile, and got it to work fine,
        > with a little fuss in the beginning. It used the same Nexus hub you
        > have.
        >
        > > Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
        > > Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical - the
        > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts on the
        > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
        > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've learned I
        > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find anywhere.
        > My LBS had a supply of these, and we had to try all colors to see
        > which ones worked best. Harris Cyclery stocks them. Maybe you could
        > buy a set and return the unneeded ones. Alternatively, you could just
        > use a lockwasher and tighten it really really well.
        > >
        > > Chain length.
        > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
        > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
        > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will surely
        > > result in too tight a chain.
        > I didn't have this problem, but one solution would be to use a half
        > link (http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1274). You might
        > just try removing one link at a time. The chain on a freewheeling
        > single speed does not have to be very taut to work well.
        > >
        > > Taillight.
        > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
        > > - and thanks for the extra wire)
        >
        > I don't know what kind of tail light you have, but Peter White sells
        > a variety of nice light brackets: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/
        > light-mounts.asp
        >
        > Hope this is helpful,
        > Andrew

      • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
          Message
          About chainlength:  You could also get a chain tensioner (surly makes one called the singulator) to take up the slack.  I have one on my sub and it works pretty great.

          <ajanjigian@ ...> wrote:

          > Brian -
          >
          > I had my XC on a Bianchi Milano for awhile, and got it to work fine,
          > with a little fuss in the beginning. It used the same Nexus hub you
          > have.
          >
          > > Near vertical vs. horizontal dropouts.
          > > Another issue with (the wonderful) Nexus 8 and the Freeradical - the
          > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts on the
          > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
          > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've learned I
          > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find anywhere.
          > My LBS had a supply of these, and we had to try all colors to see
          > which ones worked best. Harris Cyclery stocks them. Maybe you could
          > buy a set and return the unneeded ones. Alternatively, you could just
          > use a lockwasher and tighten it really really well.
          > >
          > > Chain length.
          > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
          > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
          > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will surely
          > > result in too tight a chain.
          > I didn't have this problem, but one solution would be to use a half
          > link (http://harriscycler y.net/itemdetail s.cfm?ID= 1274). You might
          > just try removing one link at a time. The chain on a freewheeling
          > single speed does not have to be very taut to work well.
          > >
          > > Taillight.
          > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
          > > - and thanks for the extra wire)
          >
          > I don't know what kind of tail light you have, but Peter White sells
          > a variety of nice light brackets: http://www.peterwhi tecycles. com/
          > light-mounts. asp
          >
          > Hope this is helpful,
          > Andrew

        • Kipchoge Spencer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
            Hi Brian,

            First, I have to apologize for the problems you encountered. I had not given my full attention to the additional installation considerations of the Breezer Uptown, and only installed my first one to completion last week. Like you, I discovered that some extra parts and instructions would be needed.

            Dropouts
            I've never found the cassette orientation of the Nexus in vertical dropouts to be problematic, shifting-wise. Though I have had to slightly bend the housing stop bracket to keep the housing out of the chain's way. Please let me know about your success with new washers. That would obviously be the cleaner fix and I'd like to supply those. I didn't know they existed. Yeah for roots radicals!

            Chain
            I didn't have to use a half link on the Uptown. Just by securing the wheel in the FreeRadical and then moving the FreeRadical back and forth in the Breezer's dropouts, you should be able to get tension.

            Taillight
            I mounted it to the Rear Bridge, right between the two rear uprights. I used two 25.4mm reflector brackets to do so, the kind with one screw for tightening the bracket to the bike and another hole for mounting the reflector.

            My goal is to get all these fixes in with the Breezers asap. Please let us know the extra costs you incurred related to these items and we'll give you a refund or store credit. Thanks for the patient attitude, too, and thank you Andrew for your reply.

            yours,

            kipchoge

            --
            Kipchoge Spencer

            29085 Highway 49
            North San Juan CA 95960
            530/292-1401
            www.pleasantrevolution.net
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
              Hi Brian,

              I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
              of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
              on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.

              CL

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
                Kipchoge,

                Thanks for response and helpful tips. No worries about the extra
                effort needed. I'm enjoying the challenge!

                I'll let you (and everyone here) know how it comes together.

                Despite the minor tuning and assembly issues I enjoyed a test run on
                the bike last night - I know my car will be collecting lots of dust
                while I xtracycle around town.

                Once again thanks Andrew, Jesse and Kipchoge. Three cheers for Roots
                Radicals.

                -Brian

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Kipchoge Spencer"

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Kipchoge Spencer"
                  <kipchoge@...> wrote:

                  I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Armed with all of your
                  advise I went home last night and made the following adjustments:

                  1. On my 21in. frame the chain was loose when all of the extra links
                  were added and the Freeradical and wheel were set all the way in the
                  dropouts. I hadn't thought to move the free radical w/i the bikes
                  dropouts to adjust chain tension. But, Kipchoge's suggestion
                  inspired me. I removed two links and adjusted the tension by moving
                  the FreeRadical w/ the wheel fully set in it's dropouts. What a
                  perfectly adjusted chain I now have.

                  2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
                  tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
                  While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
                  I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
                  length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
                  the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
                  to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
                  required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
                  it's a cleaner install.

                  Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
                  Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
                  custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
                  store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

                  I'll post some pictures once all is done.

                  Thanks again for all of your help!

                  A now estatic SUB owner,

                  -Brian

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                    Message
                    Sounds like a super setup!  Congrats.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                      Oops - I seem to have inserted my cursor below the "...<kiphoge8>
                      wrote:" line. In case anyone was confused, Kiphoge did not write
                      that!

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "bross_nyc" <bross.00@...>
                      wrote:

> [...]
                      the
                      > > Nexus 8 prefers horizontal dropouts. The near vertical dropouts
                      on
                      > the
                      > > freeradical cause the cassette joint to point downward, adversely
                      > > impacting shifting reliability. A little research and I've
                      learned I
                      > > need a different non-turn washer that I can't seem to find
                      anywhere.

                      > > Chain length.
                      > > This is also a spill-over from the near-vertical vs. horizontal
                      > > dropouts. I'm unable to properly tension the chain. By adding the
                      > > provided links I get too much sag. However removing links will
                      > surely
                      > > result in too tight a chain.
                      > >
                      > > Taillight.
                      > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this

                    • John Speare
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006

                        > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
                        > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
                        > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
                        > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
                        > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
                        > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
                        > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
                        > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
                        > it's a cleaner install.

                        The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can do
                        to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
                        thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with them
                        again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It will
                        shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will slip
                        in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
                        load.

                        > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
                        > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
                        > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
                        > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.

                        check out this cheap mount:
                        http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg

                        it;'s about half way down this page:
                        http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

                        it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
                        underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i get
                        my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.

                        Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a damn
                        fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
                        it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
                        lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
                        board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.

                        --
                        John Speare
                        Spokane, WA USA
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                          Hey John,

                          When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                          discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
                          yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
                          road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
                          shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                          geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                          smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                          great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

                          Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
                          to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                          solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
                          minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

                          -Brian

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                            On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:

                            > Hey John,
                            >
                            > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                            > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
                            > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
                            > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
                            > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                            > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                            > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                            > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

                            They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
                            mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and
                            a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
                            I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.
                            I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
                            http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg

                            I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling a
                            lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
                            running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low gear
                            of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
                            probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG hub
                            would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all the
                            groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.

                            > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
                            > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                            > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
                            > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

                            Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that could
                            change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
                            before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re saying.
                            That's the kind of thing i would do.

                            Good luck and have fun.

                            John
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
                              Hey John,

                              The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
                              calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
                              to 88.6.

                              I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
                              Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

                              wrote:

                              > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > Hey John,
                              > >
                              > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
                              > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
                              the
                              > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
                              campy
                              > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
                              above bar
                              > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
                              > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
                              > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
                              > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
                              >

                              > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
                              > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
                              and
                              > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
                              > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
                              dropouts.
                              > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
                              > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
                              >
                              > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
                              > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
                              > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
                              gear
                              > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
                              > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
                              hub
                              > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
                              the
                              > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
                              >

                              > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
                              decide
                              > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
                              > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
                              absent
                              > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
                              wiring.

                              > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
                              could
                              > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
                              > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
                              saying.
                              > That's the kind of thing i would do.
                              >
                              > Good luck and have fun.
                              >
                              > John
                              > --
                              > John Speare
                              > Spokane, WA USA
                              > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

                            • Susan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
                                I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
                                railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
                                recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

                                http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

                                  I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

                                  My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical...

                                  The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                                    I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

                                    CL

                                    bross_nyc wrote:

                                    > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
                                    > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
                                    > environment, etc...
                                    >
                                    > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
                                    > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
                                    >

                                    > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
                                    > <http://www.lickbike.com>
                                    >

                                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Brian,
                                    > >
                                    > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                                    > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                                    > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                                    > >
                                    > > CL
                                    > >
                                    > > bross_nyc wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Taillight.
                                    > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                                    > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                                    Cara Lin Bridgman
                                    Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                                    P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                                    Longjing Sinjhuang
                                    Taichung 434
                                    Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/