Re: [rootsradicals] The Big Day

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2 5:51 AM
      On 2008-03-01, at 11:17 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
      > Each wheel gets a disk. I've not heard anything about replacement
      > rates
      > on disks. I was told that I should replace the brake pads every 1-2
      > years depending on my mileage.

      Except, if you are riding in the winter, and they sand and salt the
      roads, then everything wears faster. Depends on your mileage, of
      course -- mine is 50/week -- but I need to take a picture of my rear
      derailleur jockey wheels and chain, if you want to see filthy and sad
      (rinsing your bike, post-ride, presumes that you can get water out of
      the hose).

      HOWEVER -- disk pads actually come with wear indicators, just like
      your car disk pads. If you look at the backside of a pad, you'll see
      two little dimples. Those are bumps on the other side, and when
      about .25 to .5 mm of material remains, they contact the disk, and
      make a noise when you brake (I recall that it is not the sort of
      noise that you ignore, either).

      So, buy your disk brakes, and buy one spare pair of pads, and seal
      them tightly and pack them away. My brakes, at least, you can
      replace the pads with a pair of needle nose pliers, and an Allen
      wrench to readjust.
    • Morgan Giddings
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2 7:28 AM
        Anne,

        Congratulations... you're an inspiration!  It is people like you that inspire me to do even more biking!

        Morgan

        Everyone is free to celebrate with me today. The car is sold!!! I'd said
        that I was going to garage the Subaru for a year to see if riding the X
        in all weathers was for me but I really knew it was perfect the first
        month into it. So when I was approached by someone hearing that I might
        be willing to sell my car I jumped on it. Why not? Hadn't missed driving
        it anyway.

        She was a little skeptical at first that a woman would be selling a
        perfectly good car and until she took it too her mechanic she was
        convinced that there was something seriously wrong with it that I wasn't
        telling her about. But it checked out perfectly and they told her she
        was the crazy one if she didn't buy it.

        The exchange of money and title happens this morning at the bank - had
        to find the branch with a notary on duty.

        Now I can get the disc brakes for X!

        I must admit I laughed my way to work yesterday. The weather report
        called for rain off and on. No problem - it was already misting when I
        left so I had on the waxed cotton jacket and light nylon rain pants. It
        wasn't that cold yesterday for once. Well half way to work thunder
        started booming and then the heavens opened up - with pea sized hail! I
        standing at a stop light getting pulverized by the deluge and all I
        could do was laugh. Of course it was stinging my legs that were only
        lightly covered. The car behind me pulled alongside and asked if I was
        OK but when he saw me laughing he just grinned and went on.

        It did make dings in the snapdeck though...

        Anne
      • Sean Moore
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2 9:20 AM

          Great info about the brakes.

          And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)

          Congratulations Anne!

          --
          Sean Moore
          moore.sean@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2 10:00 AM
            Thanks Sean! It feels really good.

            Anne Littlebird
            Issumatuq Herbals
            P.O. Box 5161
            Louisville, KY 40255
            502-418-1023

            Sean Moore wrote:

            > Great info about the brakes.
            >
            > And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)
            >
            > Congratulations Anne!
            >
            > --
            > Sean Moore
            > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2 10:27 PM
              Hi David,

              Thanks for the recommendation to get back-up brake pads and to keep them
              in my bike's tool kit. I've the Avid BB7.

              No snow anywhere below 1000 m in Taiwan, but lots of sand and grit and
              lots of salt in the air. Everything rusts (or mildews) in a heart-beat.

              CL

              --

              Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
              Cara Lin Bridgman

              P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
              Longjing Sinjhuang
              Taichung County 434
              Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
            • Mark Garvey
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4 3:02 PM
                I ran a Trike for several years with Disc Brakes on the front wheels and there are two things about disc brakes.  FIRST, they work LOTS better than anything else, and second, changing the pads is really not a big deal!  I would keep a set around just in case....BUT, I would not be really worried about them.  FAR easier to change than a rim brake of any kind.  Also wear on them will depend on a lot of factors.  Just like brakes on anything.  If you are always riding the brakes, or like to do the stopsign to stopsign sprints, you will wear the brakes down faster than us old slow folk.

                mark

                --

                Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                Cara Lin Bridgman

                P.O. Box 013          Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                Longjing Sinjhuang
                Taichung County 434
                Taiwan                http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/

                ride to believe.