Re: [rootsradicals] The Big Day

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
      Congratulations on the car-free! That's got to be a big load off of
      you--literally and figuratively.

      When I left the USA for Taiwan, my parents donated my car to the Woodrow
      Wilson Foundation who 'ferbished it up and gave it to someone who had to
      have a car to get to work. With peak oil, I can see how the definition
      of beneficiaries will change.

      Unfortunately, after 6 years of car-free married life, we got given a
      clunker SUV for field use. My husband and I agree that we'll keep it as
      long as I've the field research projects to cover its costs. The
      problem now is that even with loaning it back to the lab that gave it to
      us, we're not driving it often enough. So, my husband has started
      driving it to work sometimes. How's that for going backwards!

      CL
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
        On 2008-03-01, at 11:17 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
        > Each wheel gets a disk. I've not heard anything about replacement
        > rates
        > on disks. I was told that I should replace the brake pads every 1-2
        > years depending on my mileage.

        Except, if you are riding in the winter, and they sand and salt the
        roads, then everything wears faster. Depends on your mileage, of
        course -- mine is 50/week -- but I need to take a picture of my rear
        derailleur jockey wheels and chain, if you want to see filthy and sad
        (rinsing your bike, post-ride, presumes that you can get water out of
        the hose).

        HOWEVER -- disk pads actually come with wear indicators, just like
        your car disk pads. If you look at the backside of a pad, you'll see
        two little dimples. Those are bumps on the other side, and when
        about .25 to .5 mm of material remains, they contact the disk, and
        make a noise when you brake (I recall that it is not the sort of
        noise that you ignore, either).

        So, buy your disk brakes, and buy one spare pair of pads, and seal
        them tightly and pack them away. My brakes, at least, you can
        replace the pads with a pair of needle nose pliers, and an Allen
        wrench to readjust.
      • Morgan Giddings
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
          Anne,

          Congratulations... you're an inspiration!  It is people like you that inspire me to do even more biking!

          Morgan

          Everyone is free to celebrate with me today. The car is sold!!! I'd said
          that I was going to garage the Subaru for a year to see if riding the X
          in all weathers was for me but I really knew it was perfect the first
          month into it. So when I was approached by someone hearing that I might
          be willing to sell my car I jumped on it. Why not? Hadn't missed driving
          it anyway.

          She was a little skeptical at first that a woman would be selling a
          perfectly good car and until she took it too her mechanic she was
          convinced that there was something seriously wrong with it that I wasn't
          telling her about. But it checked out perfectly and they told her she
          was the crazy one if she didn't buy it.

          The exchange of money and title happens this morning at the bank - had
          to find the branch with a notary on duty.

          Now I can get the disc brakes for X!

          I must admit I laughed my way to work yesterday. The weather report
          called for rain off and on. No problem - it was already misting when I
          left so I had on the waxed cotton jacket and light nylon rain pants. It
          wasn't that cold yesterday for once. Well half way to work thunder
          started booming and then the heavens opened up - with pea sized hail! I
          standing at a stop light getting pulverized by the deluge and all I
          could do was laugh. Of course it was stinging my legs that were only
          lightly covered. The car behind me pulled alongside and asked if I was
          OK but when he saw me laughing he just grinned and went on.

          It did make dings in the snapdeck though...

          Anne
        • Sean Moore
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008

            Great info about the brakes.

            And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)

            Congratulations Anne!

            --
            Sean Moore
            moore.sean@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
              Thanks Sean! It feels really good.

              Anne Littlebird
              Issumatuq Herbals
              P.O. Box 5161
              Louisville, KY 40255
              502-418-1023

              Sean Moore wrote:

              > Great info about the brakes.
              >
              > And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)
              >
              > Congratulations Anne!
              >
              > --
              > Sean Moore
              > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                Hi David,

                Thanks for the recommendation to get back-up brake pads and to keep them
                in my bike's tool kit. I've the Avid BB7.

                No snow anywhere below 1000 m in Taiwan, but lots of sand and grit and
                lots of salt in the air. Everything rusts (or mildews) in a heart-beat.

                CL

                --

                Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                Cara Lin Bridgman

                P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                Longjing Sinjhuang
                Taichung County 434
                Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                  I ran a Trike for several years with Disc Brakes on the front wheels and there are two things about disc brakes.  FIRST, they work LOTS better than anything else, and second, changing the pads is really not a big deal!  I would keep a set around just in case....BUT, I would not be really worried about them.  FAR easier to change than a rim brake of any kind.  Also wear on them will depend on a lot of factors.  Just like brakes on anything.  If you are always riding the brakes, or like to do the stopsign to stopsign sprints, you will wear the brakes down faster than us old slow folk.

                  mark

                  --

                  Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                  Cara Lin Bridgman

                  P.O. Box 013          Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                  Longjing Sinjhuang
                  Taichung County 434
                  Taiwan                http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/

                  ride to believe.