Re: [rootsradicals] The Big Day

  • Sean Moore
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
      One small tech question:

      With disc brakes does each wheel need a disc on it?  I assume the caliper rides along with the chassis but the discs are semi-permanent on the wheel, correct?  I should go to the bike shop and ask them about 'em.
      .

      --
      Sean Moore
      moore.sean@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
        Yep,

        Each wheel gets a disk. I've not heard anything about replacement rates
        on disks. I was told that I should replace the brake pads every 1-2
        years depending on my mileage.

        So, if Anne follows Mark's advice about spare wheels for ice, she'll
        have to get 4 disks, but only 2 sets of brakes.

        Hmm... we've got word problems for post-oil math books.

        CL

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
          Congratulations on the car-free! That's got to be a big load off of
          you--literally and figuratively.

          When I left the USA for Taiwan, my parents donated my car to the Woodrow
          Wilson Foundation who 'ferbished it up and gave it to someone who had to
          have a car to get to work. With peak oil, I can see how the definition
          of beneficiaries will change.

          Unfortunately, after 6 years of car-free married life, we got given a
          clunker SUV for field use. My husband and I agree that we'll keep it as
          long as I've the field research projects to cover its costs. The
          problem now is that even with loaning it back to the lab that gave it to
          us, we're not driving it often enough. So, my husband has started
          driving it to work sometimes. How's that for going backwards!

          CL
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
            On 2008-03-01, at 11:17 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
            > Each wheel gets a disk. I've not heard anything about replacement
            > rates
            > on disks. I was told that I should replace the brake pads every 1-2
            > years depending on my mileage.

            Except, if you are riding in the winter, and they sand and salt the
            roads, then everything wears faster. Depends on your mileage, of
            course -- mine is 50/week -- but I need to take a picture of my rear
            derailleur jockey wheels and chain, if you want to see filthy and sad
            (rinsing your bike, post-ride, presumes that you can get water out of
            the hose).

            HOWEVER -- disk pads actually come with wear indicators, just like
            your car disk pads. If you look at the backside of a pad, you'll see
            two little dimples. Those are bumps on the other side, and when
            about .25 to .5 mm of material remains, they contact the disk, and
            make a noise when you brake (I recall that it is not the sort of
            noise that you ignore, either).

            So, buy your disk brakes, and buy one spare pair of pads, and seal
            them tightly and pack them away. My brakes, at least, you can
            replace the pads with a pair of needle nose pliers, and an Allen
            wrench to readjust.
          • Morgan Giddings
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
              Anne,

              Congratulations... you're an inspiration!  It is people like you that inspire me to do even more biking!

              Morgan

              Everyone is free to celebrate with me today. The car is sold!!! I'd said
              that I was going to garage the Subaru for a year to see if riding the X
              in all weathers was for me but I really knew it was perfect the first
              month into it. So when I was approached by someone hearing that I might
              be willing to sell my car I jumped on it. Why not? Hadn't missed driving
              it anyway.

              She was a little skeptical at first that a woman would be selling a
              perfectly good car and until she took it too her mechanic she was
              convinced that there was something seriously wrong with it that I wasn't
              telling her about. But it checked out perfectly and they told her she
              was the crazy one if she didn't buy it.

              The exchange of money and title happens this morning at the bank - had
              to find the branch with a notary on duty.

              Now I can get the disc brakes for X!

              I must admit I laughed my way to work yesterday. The weather report
              called for rain off and on. No problem - it was already misting when I
              left so I had on the waxed cotton jacket and light nylon rain pants. It
              wasn't that cold yesterday for once. Well half way to work thunder
              started booming and then the heavens opened up - with pea sized hail! I
              standing at a stop light getting pulverized by the deluge and all I
              could do was laugh. Of course it was stinging my legs that were only
              lightly covered. The car behind me pulled alongside and asked if I was
              OK but when he saw me laughing he just grinned and went on.

              It did make dings in the snapdeck though...

              Anne
            • Sean Moore
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008

                Great info about the brakes.

                And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)

                Congratulations Anne!

                --
                Sean Moore
                moore.sean@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Thanks Sean! It feels really good.

                  Anne Littlebird
                  Issumatuq Herbals
                  P.O. Box 5161
                  Louisville, KY 40255
                  502-418-1023

                  Sean Moore wrote:

                  > Great info about the brakes.
                  >
                  > And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)
                  >
                  > Congratulations Anne!
                  >
                  > --
                  > Sean Moore
                  > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                    Hi David,

                    Thanks for the recommendation to get back-up brake pads and to keep them
                    in my bike's tool kit. I've the Avid BB7.

                    No snow anywhere below 1000 m in Taiwan, but lots of sand and grit and
                    lots of salt in the air. Everything rusts (or mildews) in a heart-beat.

                    CL

                    --

                    Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                    Cara Lin Bridgman

                    P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                    Longjing Sinjhuang
                    Taichung County 434
                    Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
                  • Mark Garvey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                      I ran a Trike for several years with Disc Brakes on the front wheels and there are two things about disc brakes.  FIRST, they work LOTS better than anything else, and second, changing the pads is really not a big deal!  I would keep a set around just in case....BUT, I would not be really worried about them.  FAR easier to change than a rim brake of any kind.  Also wear on them will depend on a lot of factors.  Just like brakes on anything.  If you are always riding the brakes, or like to do the stopsign to stopsign sprints, you will wear the brakes down faster than us old slow folk.

                      mark

                      --

                      Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                      Cara Lin Bridgman

                      P.O. Box 013          Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                      Longjing Sinjhuang
                      Taichung County 434
                      Taiwan                http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/

                      ride to believe.