Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Gas prices and Xtracycling

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2008
      Certainly the price of gas started me thinking about alternatives.
      Particularly since I'm about $12.70/hour at this point. But I live 3
      miles from work, can walk to the grocery, post office and the coffee
      shop. Office Depot and Borders are just 2 miles away and Target, Home
      Depot about 4.

      One of the reasons for staying in this apartment even though it costs me
      one whole paycheck. But I'm also lucky in my landlord. He lets me have
      my pets and has even offered me wireless internet access so I can save
      the $45/month that I spend on that. He's been very supportive of the
      bike and selling the car while also knowing he has a good tenant. That's
      another reason for being here although I'd rather find something smaller
      and cheaper.

      If I hadn't gone back to cycling - with/without the X - my salary would
      be toast with the increase just in food costs from the gas prices.

      The lady buying my car just came by to finish the deal. She is excited
      to have a good car and I'm just as excited not to have it anymore. I'm
      over the moon! Must now go celebrate! Guess it's time to replace my ipod
      that died several months ago...

      Anne

      Sean Moore wrote:

> [...]
      > accounting for the much higher accident rates that people such as
      > her have, the statistics
      > show biking as relatively safe per mile travelled. Just imagine
      > what the numbers would be
      > if people like her actually learned how to bike safely?
      >
      > Morgan
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>, David Chase
      > <dr2chase@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 2008-02-24, at 3:30 PM, Morgan wrote:
      > > > Anyway, there's always the "safety" thing people bring up too.
      > > > Recently, I've taken to
      > > > throwing out the results of the "Pedalling Health" report, that
      > > > clearly show that bicycling
      > > > increases lifespan/reduces death rates, by lowering the
      > prevalence
      > > > of the biggest killer:
      > > > heart attacks. This works to get some people thinking about
      > biking,
      > > > anyway.
      > > >

      > > Do you have a pointer to that report? I'd like to have a better
      > > reference than "I heard that" or "Mayer Hillman said that". The way
      > > I phrase it is, "that big steel cage doesn't protect you from heart
      > > attacks, and guess what's more likely to kill you."
      > >
      > > The safety issue is a biggie. Here near Boston, I was talking to a
      > > guy (a framebuilder, even) at a nearby bike store, who himself
      > > commutes to work by bike, and has all his life. After thinking
      > about
      > > the traffic here (and this is a place where the traffic sucks so
      > > badly that we want out oldest son to learn to drive a car in
      > Florida,
      > > not here), he said he decided not to hassle his kids about not
      > riding
      > > their bikes so much. There seems to be some sort of bias against
      > > enforcing the traffic laws here -- speeding, ok, passing on the
      > right
      > > in a (wide) two-lane road in a business area, ok, crossing the
      > double-
      > > yellow, ok, rolling through stop, ok, running the no-longer-yellow,
      > > ok. Basically, people in cars, drive about as badly as people do on
      > > bikes -- 1 ton, 200 horsepower, bikes.
      > >
      > > How bad is it? When my previous car got very old, and we had a
      > > replacement (purchased from my in-laws) lined up, I decided to get
      > > serious about pedestrians and crosswalks. Toe in the crosswalk, I
      > > stop. I got rear-ended twice. There's a crosswalk between here and
      > > the elementary school, the police won't give us a crossing guard,
      > > because it's "too dangerous" for the policeman. I've poured coffee
      > > on non-stopping cars, another dad has egged them.
      > >
      > > Bizarrely, my bicycle commute is relatively sane. I am not sure
      > > why. The only problem I usually get is people cutting me off when
      > > they do a right turn at a shopping mall (which happens enough
      > that is
      > > just part of the hazard list, like the misaligned storm grates, or
      > > the rumpled pavement, or the 2-into-1 uphill lane merge).

    • Sean Moore
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2008
        Oh yeah, I forgot to congratulate you on cutting the oil tether in your other thread.

        'grats!  I have a dream of becoming a one car household, my wife isn't a strong athlete by any stretch of the imagination and I wouldn't want her out there with the cage drivers.  Me though, I've got the chutzpa to pull it off... I think.

        I'm starting to wonder if I can find a manufacturing job that's fairly close, *or* maybe we could move into the city and out of these damn 'burbs.

        My wife, bless her heart, suggested that I could be a courier in downtown Denver.  I thanked her but then admitted that I'm not nearly strong or young enough to consider that.

        Sean Moore wrote:

> [...]

        > > bikes -- 1 ton, 200 horsepower, bikes.
        > >
        > > How bad is it? When my previous car got very old, and we had a
        > > replacement (purchased from my in-laws) lined up, I decided to get
        > > serious about pedestrians and crosswalks. Toe in the crosswalk, I
        > > stop. I got rear-ended twice. There's a crosswalk between here and
        > > the elementary school, the police won't give us a crossing guard,
        > > because it's "too dangerous" for the policeman. I've poured coffee
        > > on non-stopping cars, another dad has egged them.
        > >
        > > Bizarrely, my bicycle commute is relatively sane. I am not sure
        > > why. The only problem I usually get is people cutting me off when
        > > they do a right turn at a shopping mall (which happens enough
        > that is
        > > just part of the hazard list, like the misaligned storm grates, or
        > > the rumpled pavement, or the 2-into-1 uphill lane merge).

      • Juergen Weichert
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2008
          To determine your "actual" hourly rate, calculate ALL automobile costs
          (ownership, insurance, maintenance, gas) and remove that from your
          annual income (after tax, not before tax because you pay for car
          expenses with after-tax dollars). Then figure out your annual hours
          worked, and ADD your annual hours commuting. With those two figures
          re-calculate your "equivalent" hourly rate.

          When comparing with a closer job, do the same calculation but substitute
          bicycle for car. Count your time as "recreation and exercise" instead of
          "commuting" and you will find the actual hourly equivalent is similar,
          while affording you a better quality of life (plenty of exercise and
          fresh air, longer life span).

          Juergen

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2008
            Good points.  My car is an older model and the costs have remained relatively fixed for the past 5 years, except the fuel.  I'm a gearhead so an engine rebuild may cost me $500 and my time instead of the $2000+ it would take for a non mechanic who doesn't have the tools.

            Sean Moore wrote:

            > Gas prices are what interested me in the xtracycle. Small brag, I've
            > even made a few trips to the grocery store with my step son's mtn bike
            > now. It's really easy and I haven't been on a bike in about 20
            > years. I'm leery about not having a helmet and will purchase one this
            > weekend. I'm wondering at what point gas prices would make economic
            > sense for me to quit my trade job ($22/hr) and go to work for $15/hr
            > locally. Peak oil would do it, I'm sure.

            --
            Sean Moore
            moore.sean@...
          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2008
              On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Sean Moore <moore.sean@...> wrote:
              Gas prices are what interested me in the xtracycle.  Small brag, I've even made a few trips to the grocery store with my step son's mtn bike now.  It's really easy and I haven't been on a bike in about 20 years.  I'm leery about not having a helmet and will purchase one this weekend.  I'm wondering at what point gas prices would make economic sense for me to quit my trade job ($22/hr) and go to work for $15/hr locally.  Peak oil would do it, I'm sure.

              Therre is a point that you might want to consider.  OWNING a car, costs about $8000 per year. on average.  this is based on AAA figures from about a year ago.   And if you drive over 10,000 miles a year the additional cost is somewhere around 50 or 60 cents a mile.  $ 8000 per year is ABOUT $4 per hour.  So you can take a job at $18.00 an hour without losing ANYTHING if you ditch the car.  2000 working hours per year average (much depends on costs and such!  My last car cost me $1!  yes ONE dollar.  But insurance is about $500 per year!  gas is about $5 a week  so my cost for THAT car is about $2000 per year, or $1 per hour

              The thing to consider besides the raw cost is the health benefits and such.  I am the only guy at work who has not lost any sick time due to flu or other things.  I HAVE lost time due to a heart problem and kidney stones, but the bicycle made very little difference in either of those!  No bearing.

              If you can swing it, a bike is a better vehicle all around.  But it can be difficult at times!

              mark
            • Anne Littlebird
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
                You know Sean, if your wife thinks you could be a bike courier then
                maybe it's worth thinking about. You are only as old as you make
                yourself - I still think I'm 25. :) And if she believes then you've
                already got a head start on the cheering section. What have you got to lose?

                Strength can come with work. I've had to work at it. My sister on the
                other hand was the athlete - olympic quality. But now I can whip her
                butt. It makes her really mad - hopefully it will make her mad enough to
                get back in shape. She's 12 years younger and shouldn't be in the shape
                she's in. With the family risk of diabetes and heart disease I worry
                about her. But then she's a physician - what can I say.

                Anne

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
                  On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:

                  What have you got to lose?

                  20 pounds and some coronary blockage, I suppose ;)  Maybe I'll look into it.  Of course it wouldn't be too much fun today... 3in of snow outside after yesterday was 74F in my back yard.  I've never minded being wet though.

                  --
                  Sean Moore
                  moore.sean@...
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008

                    Sean,

                                After working as a professional messenger for several years in NY, I suggest not getting into the industry now. These days the internet has allowed much of the “packages” pointless. Much of what was and might still be carried by messenger can now or will soon be sent on-line…. All those artist/model portfolios, floor-plans, legal documents, film/video reels, etc… basically anything media/text content can be sent over the internet. Cycling might be faster than any other vehicle in a major city and clients might like the idea of using a “green” method of transport… but the immediacy and cost effectiveness of the internet blows that all away.

                                That was one of the big reasons why I bought an Xtracycle. I could see the industry changing and strategically I figured with gas prices on the rise a cargo bike would make the most logistical sense. I could execute higher paying “car” jobs, but not have all the overhead of fuel, insurance, parking, and tickets. Still, with all of those positive reasons for being a cargo bike courier it was hard. I may have been one of the top paid messengers in my company (and possibly in NYC), but it was still pretty harsh and I was not getting any younger. In almost all courier scenarios the rider on the street has no insurance/medical coverage. Your health may be good from riding all day, but if you get in an accident you might get seriously screwed. On top of the lack of insurance/medical coverage almost all messengers work on a commission basis, so if you are out of work for any span of time you miss out on that money. Even if you return to work you might not recover to the same level of work you were doing before, which will result in less income.

                                I do not know of any couriers in this country, who have any decent retirement plan. Most messengers I knew practically lived from one pay check to the next, so saving money was almost unheard of. Forget about retirement, and if you have any kids, you might as well get a second job.

                                I apologize if I am knocking the courier industry. I obviously loved messengering since I did do it for the better part of ten years and almost all my friends still are or have been couriers, but it definitely is not a job for everyone. As it is, I moved from NYC to Pennsylvania and got into a completely different industry. I still bike to work every day, but that just seems logically the correct thing to do despite some of my coworkers joking with me about it. I guess I am just trying to put things in a possibly different perspective for you if you were really considering the messenger line of work. I hope it helps.

                    _TONE_

                  • Sean Moore