Re: [rootsradicals] Tongue placement

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      thats what i did with my Cdale conversion...
      after some time of riding the bike the way the instruction advise...
      i put the tongue under the chainstay bridge...
      and VIOLA!
      now the geometry became more relaxed, and ultimately i could let go of the bars.

      when you do this...all it does is lowers the BB a very small amount, and now all the angles are relaxed.

      mechanically i never had a problem, but i was paranoid...and i checked it regularly for about a month, and forgot about it.

      peace...d

      On Mar 1, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

      Keeping my tongue firmly in cheek...

      But seriously, I've wondered about the benefits and/or drawbacks of
      placing the mounting "tongue" under the chainstay of my Trek 4300
      (2005 model year). I've cranked the suspension down so it's fairly
      stiff and I still can't ride w/o hands. I did a search of the message
      archive and don't really find anything definitive about pros and cons
      of tongue placement.

      Your constructive comments are appreciated! :-)

    • Sunny Keach
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
        I've been flirting with putting the tongue under the chain stay, to get
        slacker angles.. I do know why the directions say not to. If the bolt
        that holds it in place or the chunk of aluminum it's connected to fail,
        it wont be cataclysmic, meaning that the x rests on the chainstay. If
        the bolt should fail with the x under the chainstay, then there is
        little to stop it from going straight to the ground, possibly at speed.
        that could be a bit ugly. So I am just planning to beef up that
        connection or put some sort of back up strap or cord around it just in case.
        sunny
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
          Yes, I visualized that sort of accident, too--gouging out tarmac at the
          very least.

          Thinking about it some more, though, I'm wondering just how strong the
          forces are on that bolt. The real point of attachment is with the
          bike's drop-outs.

          On my Surly Instigator frame, the chain-stay bridge has a smaller
          diameter than the chain stays. Since the aluminum plate is supposed to
          bridge the chain stays, whether I put the tongue over or under the
          chain-stay bridge, I had a gap in the aluminum plate and the chain-stay
          bridge. This means, I found it really easy to bend the aluminum plate!
          In other words, that's what happens when you keep cranking the nut on
          that bolt... So, I bought a few back-up aluminum plates, but am still
          using the bent one (it has a slight but noticeable curve). To keep from
          bending it more or from bending future plates, I bought some steel
          washers with about the same diameter as the gap between chain-stays and
          stacked them to fill the space between chain-stay bridge and aluminum
          plate. It's all tight and I've not noticed any shifting of tongue,
          plate, or washers.

          CL