Two-wheeled Trailers?

  • katethelizard
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2006
      Hi folks,

      I saw a guy at the farmer's market yesterday with a two-wheel trailer
      that formerly was some brand of kid trailer, possibly Burley, that his
      kids had refused to ride in after age two, which he now uses for
      hauling. He took the canopy off and what was left was a wide flat
      molded plastic tub that looked awesome for the bags of potting soil
      and whatnot he had in there.

      I just sold my BOB to make room for the Xtra, and after the squirrely
      feel of that thing with 60 lbs of groceries, I can appreciate a
      two-wheel trailer. I haven't used one, but am curious if any of you
      have comments on 2-wheel versus one-wheel trailers.

      Of course I'm fully prepared to just be in love with my Xtracycle for
      a good while but all these ways to live the bicycle lifestyle are
      fascinating and inspiring.

      Kate in CA
    • Michael Lemberger
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
        On May 31, Kate wrote:

        > I saw a guy at the farmer's market yesterday with a two-wheel
        > trailer that formerly was some brand of kid trailer, possibly
        > Burley, that his kids had refused to ride in after age two, which
        > he now uses for hauling. He took the canopy off and what was left
        > was a wide flat molded plastic tub that looked awesome for the bags
        > of potting soil and whatnot he had in there.
        >
        > I just sold my BOB to make room for the Xtra, and after the
        > squirrely feel of that thing with 60 lbs of groceries, I can
        > appreciate a two-wheel trailer. I haven't used one, but am curious
        > if any of you have comments on 2-wheel versus one-wheel trailers.

        I've used a BOB Yak, two different Burleys and a Bikes at Work Model
        64 cargo trailer.

        The BOB was the squirreliest of the lot. It's really good for hauling
        small or medium-sized loads on singletrack, but there are many things
        better for pavement.

        I own a Burley Nomad (the smaller cargo trailer) and a trashpicked
        Burley D'Lite (2-seat kid trailer). Both are far more stable than the
        BOB for anything over about 30 or 40 pounds and are ideal for hauling
        large loads on pavement.

        The Bikes at Work 64 is a whole different animal. It's a 64-inch
        truss-frame cargo trailer, which means it's heavy and pretty clumsy.
        But you can use it to haul a full-sized refrigerator:

        <http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/truss-bike-trailer/>

        > Of course I'm fully prepared to just be in love with my Xtracycle
        > for a good while but all these ways to live the bicycle lifestyle
        > are fascinating and inspiring.

        The Xtra is still the best thing I've used for utility cycling. 60
        lbs of groceries is a pretty easy load. Unlike a trailer, it still
        rides pretty much like a normal bike, and you don't have to hook it
        up every time you want to use it. There isn't much you can haul with
        a trailer (except the Bikes at Work) that you can't haul with a Free
        Radical, and nothing says you can't use both...

        Cheers,

        Michael Lemberger
        Madison, WI