The Big Day

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
      Everyone is free to celebrate with me today. The car is sold!!! I'd said
      that I was going to garage the Subaru for a year to see if riding the X
      in all weathers was for me but I really knew it was perfect the first
      month into it. So when I was approached by someone hearing that I might
      be willing to sell my car I jumped on it. Why not? Hadn't missed driving
      it anyway.

      She was a little skeptical at first that a woman would be selling a
      perfectly good car and until she took it too her mechanic she was
      convinced that there was something seriously wrong with it that I wasn't
      telling her about. But it checked out perfectly and they told her she
      was the crazy one if she didn't buy it.

      The exchange of money and title happens this morning at the bank - had
      to find the branch with a notary on duty.

      Now I can get the disc brakes for X!

      I must admit I laughed my way to work yesterday. The weather report
      called for rain off and on. No problem - it was already misting when I
      left so I had on the waxed cotton jacket and light nylon rain pants. It
      wasn't that cold yesterday for once. Well half way to work thunder
      started booming and then the heavens opened up - with pea sized hail! I
      standing at a stop light getting pulverized by the deluge and all I
      could do was laugh. Of course it was stinging my legs that were only
      lightly covered. The car behind me pulled alongside and asked if I was
      OK but when he saw me laughing he just grinned and went on.

      It did make dings in the snapdeck though...

      Anne
    • Chris Follmer
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
        Congrats on the Big Day Anne! I remember that day for me, like the sticker says,  "I lost 3500 pounds, ask me how!" I got to pay off my wife's car, not get something cool like disc brakes for the X!
        Chris

        Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:
[...]

        Success isn't defined by the things you have.
        It's defined by the things you don't need

      • Anne Littlebird
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
          There are a few advantages to being single at the moment. :)

          I bought the Subaru when it was a year old. Paid cash (had just sold the
          house so I could do that). I've been debt free for 3 1/2 years now. Made
          a whole lot of changes over the past 3 years and in the last few months
          I've been solidifying those changes.

          If I was still hauling a 6 foot concert grand harp around I'd have a car
          but now I don't need it and even with the used motorcycle I bought the X
          is still my main transportation. The few days during the last few months
          I wasn't on it I really missed it. I missed 2 days for an ice storm and
          2 days with tornado warnings.

          I can't think that any 'thing' has made me so happy as the X has. I
          actually look forward to getting out on it every day. Besides I can't
          wait to ride up to the big Harley Davidson store today - I need to get a
          motorcycle helmet (borrowing one right now) - on the X! The sun is out
          finally so it's a perfect day for a long ride.

          Anne

        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
            ANNE!  I LOVE you!  (in a brotherly way kiddo! No worries!)  How cool!  a couple of ideas for you!  Rain Cape!  Look into that. It MAY be an answer to the riding in the rain problems.  Remember this is technology from the 30s but back then a LOT more people rode bikes as utility machines!  I keep a cheap Dollar General Rain Poncho handy, but they are crap.  about the ONLY thing they are useful for is to keep from getting ENTIRELY soaked and maybe keeping the heat in!

            OK, Ice/winter.  check into Studded tires. ONE solution would be to find a pair of wheels that you can slip on and off your X (if necessary) in a few minutes.  Something compatabile with your brakes and such so that you can keep the Studdies somewhere close.  THAT way, you can slip them on the bike if the forecast calls for ice!   THAT should take care of the ice storm thing.  Also, Tornado warnings???  OK, look, I live in IOWA, the tornado capitol of the midwest.  Remember the movie Twister???  It was shot here!  BUT I think Twisters are over rated as a danger. (OK, I may be stupid!)  But they are often mostly a lot of scare and not much reality.  They can be dangerous of course!  But by using caution, you should have little problem!!

            I was riding home one day from work when the sirens went off and the voice said, "Attention in this area, this is a Tornado Warning...."  I was a mile from home.  LONG mile!!!  ALL uphill!  Wife and Daughters were a bit frantic bby the time I got home, but I never even got RAINED on!

            Be careful out there and HAVE a great time!  remember that you should spend JUST a little on something special or silly!

            BEST to you and congratulations!!  How wonderful!!

            mark

            Chris Follmer wrote:
            > Congrats on the Big Day Anne! I remember that day for me, like the
            > sticker says,  "I lost 3500 pounds, ask me how!" I got to pay off my
            > wife's car, not get something cool like disc brakes for the X!
            > Chris
            >
            > */Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>/* wrote:
            >
            >     Everyone is free to celebrate with me today. The car is sold!!!
            >     I'd said
            >     that I was going to garage the Subaru for a year to see if riding
            >     the X
            >     in all weathers was for me but I really knew it was perfect the first
            >     month into it. So when I was approached by someone hearing that I
            >     might
            >     be willing to sell my car I jumped on it. Why not? Hadn't missed
            >     driving
            >     it anyway.
            >
            >     She was a little skeptical at first that a woman would be selling a
            >     perfectly good car and until she took it too her mechanic she was
            >     convinced that there was something seriously wrong with it that I
            >     wasn't
            >     telling her about. But it checked out perfectly and they told her she
            >     was the crazy one if she didn't buy it.
            >
            >     The exchange of money and title happens this morning at the bank -
            >     had
            >     to find the branch with a notary on duty.
            >
            >     Now I can get the disc brakes for X!
            >
            >     I must admit I laughed my way to work yesterday. The weather report
            >     called for rain off and on. No problem - it was already misting
            >     when I
            >     left so I had on the waxed cotton jacket and light nylon rain
            >     pants. It
            >     wasn't that cold yesterday for once. Well half way to work thunder
            >     started booming and then the heavens opened up - with pea sized
            >     hail! I
            >     standing at a stop light getting pulverized by the deluge and all I
            >     could do was laugh. Of course it was stinging my legs that were only
            >     lightly covered. The car behind me pulled alongside and asked if I
            >     was
            >     OK but when he saw me laughing he just grinned and went on.
            >
            >     It did make dings in the snapdeck though...
            >
            >     Anne
            >

            > Success isn't defined by the things you have.
            > It's defined by the things you don't need

            > it now.
            > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

            ride to believe.
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            The new Iowa state song
            --------------
            It's winter in Iowa
            And the gentle breezes blow
            Seventy miles an hour
            At twenty-five below.
            Oh, how I love Iowa
            When the snow's up to your butt;
            You take a breath of winter
            And your nose gets frozen shut.
            Yes, the weather here is wonderful
            So I guess I'll hang around,
            I could never leave Iowa
            my feet are frozen to the ground
          • Sean Moore
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
              One small tech question:

              With disc brakes does each wheel need a disc on it?  I assume the caliper rides along with the chassis but the discs are semi-permanent on the wheel, correct?  I should go to the bike shop and ask them about 'em.
              .

              --
              Sean Moore
              moore.sean@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
                Yep,

                Each wheel gets a disk. I've not heard anything about replacement rates
                on disks. I was told that I should replace the brake pads every 1-2
                years depending on my mileage.

                So, if Anne follows Mark's advice about spare wheels for ice, she'll
                have to get 4 disks, but only 2 sets of brakes.

                Hmm... we've got word problems for post-oil math books.

                CL

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Congratulations on the car-free! That's got to be a big load off of
                  you--literally and figuratively.

                  When I left the USA for Taiwan, my parents donated my car to the Woodrow
                  Wilson Foundation who 'ferbished it up and gave it to someone who had to
                  have a car to get to work. With peak oil, I can see how the definition
                  of beneficiaries will change.

                  Unfortunately, after 6 years of car-free married life, we got given a
                  clunker SUV for field use. My husband and I agree that we'll keep it as
                  long as I've the field research projects to cover its costs. The
                  problem now is that even with loaning it back to the lab that gave it to
                  us, we're not driving it often enough. So, my husband has started
                  driving it to work sometimes. How's that for going backwards!

                  CL
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                    On 2008-03-01, at 11:17 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
                    > Each wheel gets a disk. I've not heard anything about replacement
                    > rates
                    > on disks. I was told that I should replace the brake pads every 1-2
                    > years depending on my mileage.

                    Except, if you are riding in the winter, and they sand and salt the
                    roads, then everything wears faster. Depends on your mileage, of
                    course -- mine is 50/week -- but I need to take a picture of my rear
                    derailleur jockey wheels and chain, if you want to see filthy and sad
                    (rinsing your bike, post-ride, presumes that you can get water out of
                    the hose).

                    HOWEVER -- disk pads actually come with wear indicators, just like
                    your car disk pads. If you look at the backside of a pad, you'll see
                    two little dimples. Those are bumps on the other side, and when
                    about .25 to .5 mm of material remains, they contact the disk, and
                    make a noise when you brake (I recall that it is not the sort of
                    noise that you ignore, either).

                    So, buy your disk brakes, and buy one spare pair of pads, and seal
                    them tightly and pack them away. My brakes, at least, you can
                    replace the pads with a pair of needle nose pliers, and an Allen
                    wrench to readjust.
                  • Morgan Giddings

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008

                        Great info about the brakes.

                        And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)

                        Congratulations Anne!

                        --
                        Sean Moore
                        moore.sean@...
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                          Thanks Sean! It feels really good.

                          Anne Littlebird
                          Issumatuq Herbals
                          P.O. Box 5161
                          Louisville, KY 40255
                          502-418-1023

                          Sean Moore wrote:

                          > Great info about the brakes.
                          >
                          > And just to make it "official" (I 'gratted in another thread)
                          >
                          > Congratulations Anne!
                          >
                          > --
                          > Sean Moore
                          > moore.sean@... <mailto:moore.sean@...>

                        • Cara Lin Bridgman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                            Hi David,

                            Thanks for the recommendation to get back-up brake pads and to keep them
                            in my bike's tool kit. I've the Avid BB7.

                            No snow anywhere below 1000 m in Taiwan, but lots of sand and grit and
                            lots of salt in the air. Everything rusts (or mildews) in a heart-beat.

                            CL

                            --

                            Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                            Cara Lin Bridgman

                            P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                            Longjing Sinjhuang
                            Taichung County 434
                            Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
                          • Mark Garvey
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                              I ran a Trike for several years with Disc Brakes on the front wheels and there are two things about disc brakes.  FIRST, they work LOTS better than anything else, and second, changing the pads is really not a big deal!  I would keep a set around just in case....BUT, I would not be really worried about them.  FAR easier to change than a rim brake of any kind.  Also wear on them will depend on a lot of factors.  Just like brakes on anything.  If you are always riding the brakes, or like to do the stopsign to stopsign sprints, you will wear the brakes down faster than us old slow folk.

                              mark