Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Tightening headsets for going no-hands

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 29, 2008
      Todd Fahrner wrote:
      > Yet when you lock the front brake and rock the bike back
      > and forth, you shouldn't feel any play in the mechanism.
      >
      > The first clue for me that a headset is going bad is
      > difficulty in riding no-hands, because irregularities in
      > the bearing races mean that the steering binds at certain
      > spots, much like an over-tight headset would feel.

      Hi Todd,

      This is a good point. But what about difficulty riding no-hands on a
      brand new bike? It seems that my headset has been a little on the loose
      side from the very beginning.

      You also mention that when the headset is adjusted right, there is
      absolutely no play. From the very beginning, I've felt a slight
      shifting. At the moment, my adjustment is one of the best in terms of
      minimizing play, but there is still some. It may be hard to see, but
      putting my finger on the upper or lower joints of headset and frame, I
      can feel some play.

      I don't notice any differences in the play as the handlebars move from
      one side to the other. There's no stiffening or locking up.

      CL
    • riggertrev
      Message 79 of 79 , Mar 4, 2008

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

        > a custom deck is by far the best
        >
        > :-)
        >
        > d-

        Congrats on your Big Dummy. The video looks good too.

        Look what I found this morning:

        http://tonka-days.blogspot.com/2008/03/dry-leaf-eco-skate-prototype-with.html

        It links thru my blog (so it's a self-serving shameless plug as well as a .contribution to the discussion) but it's pretty darn cool stuff .

        Kelt.