Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Hauling a kayak

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2008
      Really long boats are conspicuous. There are pictures online of people
      carrying long poles and 2x4's. So, slalom kayaks (3.2 meter length)
      should work--they'll just give you a really long tail....

      I'd say the long-loader is more than worth the cost.

      A few weeks ago, I carried a 9.5 foot metal pole and assorted 7'foot
      2x4s on the side-walk side of my xtracycle. The long loader was a huge
      help. Don't have the pole sticking out too much forward, since it can
      snag on things if you try turning sharp corners. Don't turn sharp
      corners, because the tail end sticks out far. In fact, I was less
      concerned about the length than I was about the overall visibility. The
      pole was gray (on a gray day) and low to the ground. So, I tied a white
      plastic bag and a red blinkie onto the trailing end. I got it all home
      ok through the usual scrum of evening rush-hour motorbikes, buses,
      SUV's, and cars.

      CL

      --

      Please note my new email address: caralinb@...