Re: [rootsradicals] whether the weather!

  • Silivrenion
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 17, 2008
      I find that driving a 50+ pound bike does require some planning and good riding efforts. Regular tires work OK during bad conditions, but will not do much over full ice. We get snow here that changes into an icy, crunchy mess. Every divy in the terrain is a possibility to fall, and the studded tires really help to keep control on these near-off-road obstacles. Road riding, however, is fully doable in the winter without snow tires. Just be careful of sharp turns with black ice...

      On Feb 17, 2008 5:31 PM, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

      y'know, it is sort of funny, as crappy as the weather can get up here, I have never really done much about "snow tires" or anything.  I mostly simply run the tires I have on the bike.  My Primo Comets got me through last winter jkust fine and you might think they woiuld be terrible!  But they worked well enough.  i just swapped to Kenda 2.125 wide tires and have not really had much chance to ride them (the eye thing again) but the few times I have been out on them, they seem very sure footed.   Of course, I ride on ice like I WALK on ice.  carefully and not all that fast.  Falling is not in my plans!

      mark

      On 2008-02-17, at 1:37 PM, Silivrenion wrote:
      > I've been running these tires since November, and have only lost a
      > few studs so far. I do a constant 10-15 miles a day, so they get a
      > lot of wear as it is. I say buy new studded tires regularly... it's
      > worth protecting yourself and your investment from falls. Also, be
      > aware of salt on the roads. Studs act slippery over sand or salt.

      So by your estimate, I am indeed due at least a new front tire,
      because I do a steady 50 miles/week, and these tires date back to
      November of 2006.
      > Also, keep your bike in a warm spot when not riding. This allows
      > all the muck to melt off after a lousy commute.

      I have to hang it to drain the rear brakes.  But look at this mess
      (on the rug, under the bottom bracket and down tube).  Yuck.

      http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_3304&bgcolor=black

      Oh yeah, here's a good picture of why we need studs in the
      northeast.  That's a bike path, not an ice rink.

      http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_3069&bgcolor=black

      ride to believe.
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings: