Re: cost

  • mhr109
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2006
      Hi-- I had my X installed in Boston for about $50 including a new
      chain. Later I added hydrauic discs myself, which I strongly
      recommend for heavy loads in wet (Boston) or hilly (switzerland, where
      I am now) terrain.

      I commuted for years with top-end panniers, and the X beats them hands
      down. Much larger, easier to put things in, and they stay on the bike
      w/o worrying that someone will take them. Plus panniers are a pain to
      carry around, whereas whatever bag you put in the x doesn't have to be.

      if you want to tighten the load you can take off one side of the X and
      the topdeck, which still leaves plenty of room for daytrips. For
      longer trips, I like the X better bcs the load is lower, and the long
      wheelbase gives a smooth ride on pavement or dirt.

      -Michael