Re: Xtracycle Free Radical with foot rests - eBay (item 200199019081 end time Fe

  • kwikfile08
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 10, 2008
      Anne or Mark,

      Who will be getting the trailer with solar panels? Seeing pictures of that will be cool -
      please post....

      Carl

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 10, 2008 10:54 AM, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Gail force winds up again so riding will be interesting today. The
      > > temperature as already dropped at least 30 degrees and is supposed to
      > > get to 16 around midnight when I have to ride home.
      >

      > Boy THAT sounds like fun! We are at -5 right now and windy! Hopefully it
      > will warm up tomorrow!
      >

      > > That being said this is when I miss the ability to jump over small trees
      > > etc. - the ride into work the past 2 weeks has meant redoing routes to
      > > miss the majority of the downed massive trees and debris in the road.
      >

      > the problem with jumping debris may be simply mass and length. I just stop
      > and lift over when I have that. But then I have 30 lbs of e-assist motor.
      > By the way, I am adding a trailer with my second battery for extended range,
      > and a solar charger on top of the trailer! WAY cool!
      >
      > > If
      > > this is what it is like now I hate to see what April will bring which is
      > > our usual month of tornado activity.
      >

      > AH! Iowa has lots of Tornados! Fun fun fun!
      >

      > > It's on my list but not until I have exhausted my old giant with the X
      > > attached.
      > >

      > Me too! I like the BD, but am afraid that they will not have me as a
      > customer for a while! I LOVE it, but can't afford it for a while!
      >
      > mark

    • Anne Littlebird
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 10, 2008
        Thanks Tone - I needed the reminder that I was going to look into
        getting a pair of them. I think I had some years ago and then went with
        clip ins at that time but I need to relook at the power grips. I do need
        the extra pull on hills since up hills are not my forte.

        I got so used to clip ins and I really can't remember my full reason for
        taking them off aside from commuting there are days I'd wear other
        shoes. Although now I carry my work shoes in the bags anyway.

        And I definitely need something to keep my feet from coming off the
        pedal when the gears don't change smoothly. Or when I don't change the
        gears smoothly because I didn't anticipate correctly. There's still
        enough slack in the chain for me to be off my changes.

        And I need to do my own work rather than the bike shop. the mechanic is
        a nice guy but I don't think he quite understand the physics of the X or
        the way I ride.

        Winds have died down but the forecast is for winter storm with ice and
        snow. Guess I'll walk to work.

        Anne

        Tone wrote:

        > Anne,
        >
        > I am not sure if this might be useful to you in your debate on whether
        > to go clipless, etc., but I have always like using Power Grips. They
        > are basically semi-flexible straps, which hook up diagonally across
        > just about any pedal. You can pretty much wear any footwear you want
        > with them and they keep a pretty sturdy hold on your feet. Obviously
        > on the Xtracycle you still will not really be able to whip out bunny
        > hops, but the straps can certainly allow you to pedal on an upstroke
        > if you want extra push going up an incline, and they certainly keep
        > your feet secure from accidentally slipping out when hitting an
        > unexpected bump, etc.
        >
        > A number of years ago when biking in New York City I got doored by a
        > passenger coming out of a cab. Within that split second of reaction
        > time I had, I managed to brake enough and kick off the pedals with my
        > toes without thinking, and that allowed me to dive over the opened
        > door and roll out on the other side with the momentum I had. In the
        > moment I was not even thinking about it, but in retrospect I am not
        > sure if clipless pedals or standard toe-straps would have enabled me
        > to slip out so easily.
        >
        > Nashbar has the set of Power Grips straps alone for $19.95, which can
        > be fitted onto just about any typical pre-existing pedal set a person
        > might own:
        >
        > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108&subcategory=60001077&brand=&sku=1270&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Pedal%20Accessories
        > <http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108&subcategory=60001077&brand=&sku=1270&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Pedal%20Accessories>
        >
        > However, I find it is a lot simpler and in some ways cheaper to buy a
        > combined Power Grip & pedal set for a bit more. Nashbar has the
        > combined set for $34.99 (It is basically like buying a decent quality
        > platform pedal for $15):
        >
        > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108&subcategory=60001181&brand=&sku=1269&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Platform%20Pedals
        > <http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108&subcategory=60001181&brand=&sku=1269&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Platform%20Pedals>
        >
        > Again, I am not sure if any of this is helpful, but it is just my two
        > cents. J Ride safeā€¦ and do not get blown away by those winds!
        >
        > _/TONE/_

      • Anne Littlebird
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 10, 2008
          Good girl!! You'll love it! Certainly made it possible for me to sell
          the car. No regrets. And everyone here is SO helpful. they really know
          their stuff and have certainly been a wealth of information for me.

          It's an awesome bunch of people.

          Anne

          Tracy wrote:

          > HI there, I just joined your group and wanted to say hello in this
          > thread because I bought the
          > free radical in your link. Yay I'm so excited! I've been trying to
          > become car-free and I think
          > this will help me so much. No more wobbling home with groceries
          > overflowing from my pack
          > and panniers!
          >
          > Looking forward to reading more but this is the first post I came across.
          >
          > Tracy

        • Anne Littlebird
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 10, 2008
            That would be my big brother Mark. I'm the numnutz getting the
            motorcycle for my 1800 mile round trips to the White Earth reservation.

            :)

            Anne

            kwikfile08 wrote:

            > Anne or Mark,
            >
            > Who will be getting the trailer with solar panels? Seeing pictures of
            > that will be cool -
            > please post....
            >
            > Carl
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mark Garvey"
            > <lazybee45@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Feb 10, 2008 10:54 AM, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Gail force winds up again so riding will be interesting today. The
            > > > temperature as already dropped at least 30 degrees and is supposed to
            > > > get to 16 around midnight when I have to ride home.
            > >

            > > Boy THAT sounds like fun! We are at -5 right now and windy! Hopefully it
            > > will warm up tomorrow!
            > >

            > > > That being said this is when I miss the ability to jump over small
            > trees
            > > > etc. - the ride into work the past 2 weeks has meant redoing routes to
            > > > miss the majority of the downed massive trees and debris in the road.
            > >

            > > the problem with jumping debris may be simply mass and length. I
            > just stop
            > > and lift over when I have that. But then I have 30 lbs of e-assist
            > motor.
            > > By the way, I am adding a trailer with my second battery for
            > extended range,
            > > and a solar charger on top of the trailer! WAY cool!
            > >
            > > > If
            > > > this is what it is like now I hate to see what April will bring
            > which is
            > > > our usual month of tornado activity.
            > >

            > > AH! Iowa has lots of Tornados! Fun fun fun!
            > >

            > > > It's on my list but not until I have exhausted my old giant with the X
            > > > attached.
            > > >

            > > Me too! I like the BD, but am afraid that they will not have me as a
            > > customer for a while! I LOVE it, but can't afford it for a while!
            > >
            > > mark

          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
              That would be me.   I am working on it at the moment.  I have been running a trailer with a solar charger on it for a couple of years now, but I have a broken circuit in one of the panels at the moment.  I have to patch around that.   My hope is that I can set up with a 24V panel for my spare battery pack and a couple of 12 V panels for a power battery for other things, light, music, etc.

              But the basic trailer was originally pretty good.  I could reasonably get extended range from my battery pack, and if I rode to work in the morning, and left the trailer out in the sun, I could have a fully charged battery when I went home.

              I also carry a battery charger that plugs in. It obviously has more potential for extending range, but you don't have to plug in the solar panel!

              mark

              On Feb 10, 2008 10:18 PM, kwikfile08 <kwikfile08@...> wrote:
              Anne or Mark,

              Who will be getting the trailer with solar panels?  Seeing pictures of that will be cool -
              please post....

              Carl

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

              > On Feb 10, 2008 10:54 AM, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Gail force winds up again so riding will be interesting today. The
              > > temperature as already dropped at least 30 degrees and is supposed to
              > > get to 16 around midnight when I have to ride home.
              >

              > Boy THAT sounds like fun!  We are at -5 right now and windy!  Hopefully it
              > will warm up tomorrow!
              >

              > > That being said this is when I miss the ability to jump over small trees
              > > etc. - the ride into work the past 2 weeks has meant redoing routes to
              > > miss the majority of the downed massive trees and debris in the road.
              >

              > the problem with jumping debris may be simply mass and length.  I just stop
              > and lift over when I have that.  But then I have 30 lbs of e-assist motor.
              > By the way, I am adding a trailer with my second battery for extended range,
              > and a solar charger on top of the trailer!  WAY cool!
              >
              > > If
              > > this is what it is like now I hate to see what April will bring which is
              > > our usual month of tornado activity.
              >

              > AH!  Iowa has lots of Tornados!  Fun fun fun!
              >

              > > It's on my list but not until I have exhausted my old giant with the X
              > > attached.
              > >

              > Me too!  I like the BD, but am afraid that they will not have me as a
              > customer for a while!  I LOVE it, but can't afford it for a while!
              >
              > mark

              ride to believe.
              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Mark  Garvey
              Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

              Post message: Iowaporkchoppers@yahoogroups.com
              Subscribe: Iowaporkchoppers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            • kwikfile08
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
                Any information Pictures, Video or how to specially with Xtracycle or any other commuting
                set-up???

                Peace out...

              • Susan
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                  Given your mechanical abilities as evidenced by your description of
                  retrofitting, then you wouldn't be as frustrated as I at getting
                  powergrips... only finding that the instructions don't match the
                  product. I figured out how to adapt to that pretty well - wasn't that
                  different - but the directions told me to screw the things in through
                  the holes... which don't exist. Grrrr.... And since I'm sort of in
                  between houses, welp, I'm not sure what tool I have that would make a
                  good hole. I managed to make an X to serve for one, but it's not
                  really in the right place. I used a zip-tie instead of screws
                  'cause... I forget why, now. Then the thing got freezing rained on
                  which was really cool beause it froze in a good position.
                  Unfortunately, once it melted, it's not where I ccan grab it.
                  So... I'm goign to try to find those toe clips again... I thought
                  briefly about going clipless on the folder, and perhaps - if I get the
                  "go both ways" pedals. Since it would be a travel bike, welp, I know
                  me. I can *promise* I'd end up forgetting the bike shoes at least 17%
                  of the time ;)
                  HOwever! If you're anything but the disorganized motor moron I
                  am... I did *like* the one that I had on there, and more importantly,
                  even this motor moron learned incredibly quickly and automatically to
                  get in and out of the things.

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                  > Anne,
                  > I am not sure if this might be useful to you in your debate
                  > on whether to go clipless, etc., but I have always like using Power
                  > Grips. They are basically semi-flexible straps, which hook up diagonally
                  > across just about any pedal. You can pretty much wear any footwear you
                  > want with them and they keep a pretty sturdy hold on your feet.
                  > Obviously on the Xtracycle you still will not really be able to whip out
                  > bunny hops, but the straps can certainly allow you to pedal on an
                  > upstroke if you want extra push going up an incline, and they certainly
                  > keep your feet secure from accidentally slipping out when hitting an
                  > unexpected bump, etc.
                  > A number of years ago when biking in New York City I got
                  > doored by a passenger coming out of a cab. Within that split second of
                  > reaction time I had, I managed to brake enough and kick off the pedals
                  > with my toes without thinking, and that allowed me to dive over the
                  > opened door and roll out on the other side with the momentum I had. In
                  > the moment I was not even thinking about it, but in retrospect I am not
                  > sure if clipless pedals or standard toe-straps would have enabled me to
                  > slip out so easily.
                  > Nashbar has the set of Power Grips straps alone for $19.95,
                  > which can be fitted onto just about any typical pre-existing pedal set a
                  > person might own:
                  > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108
                  > <http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108&subcategory=6000107
                  > 7&brand=&sku=1270&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20
                  > Pedal%20Accessories>
                  > &subcategory=60001077&brand=&sku=1270&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop
                  > %20by%20Subcat%3A%20Pedal%20Accessories
                  > However, I find it is a lot simpler and in some ways cheaper
                  > to buy a combined Power Grip & pedal set for a bit more. Nashbar has the
                  > combined set for $34.99 (It is basically like buying a decent quality
                  > platform pedal for $15):
                  > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108
                  > <http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000108&subcategory=6000118
                  > 1&brand=&sku=1269&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20
                  > Platform%20Pedals>
                  > &subcategory=60001181&brand=&sku=1269&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop
                  > %20by%20Subcat%3A%20Platform%20Pedals
                  > Again, I am not sure if any of this is helpful, but it is
                  > just my two cents. :-) Ride safe. and do not get blown away by those
                  > winds!
                  > _TONE_

                • Mark Garvey
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                    On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Susan <maps@...> wrote:
                    Given your mechanical abilities as evidenced by your description of
                    retrofitting, then you wouldn't be as frustrated as I at getting
                    powergrips...

                    Some years ago, I purchased a set of powergrips thinking that they would be a cheap alternative to clipless pedals, but they did not work for me.  I didn't hate them, they just were hard to slip my feet into and wrench my feet out of.   After several different sets of pedals, I eventually got a set of nashbar Bear Trap pedals which grace my X now.  But then, that is part of my overall style that I have developed. I don't WEAR a "clown suit" to ride my bike.  (not disparaging clowns, my profession is clowning)  I don't wear high tech jersies, I don't wear orthopaedic pants, and I will not wear shoes that make me walk funny.  MOST of the time, I don't even bother with the plastic hair net.  I wear T shirts, shorts, jeans, and sneakers or sandals.  Or work shoes.  the bear traps work pretty well, so do platforms and double sided SPD pedals (Yes, I DO have some shoes with cleats on them)

                    My normal cycling costume is a T shirt, jeans or shorts, sandals and a big straw hat or baseball cap!

                    OK, so I am a little less efficient, and a little slower than other riders.  Like that is a big DEAL???

                    mark
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 16, 2008

                      Susan,

                                  It sounds like you may have had an old or interim batch of Power-Grips. I just ordered three pairs of power grip pedals through Nashbar (one to replace my current Power-Grips when they completely go, another for when I get the Big Dummy, and another as an eventual spare for either of those bikes or my wife’s bike). All of the Power-Grip sets I have already come set up with a number of holes for a variation in position.

                                  I mention the old or interim Power-Grips because at one point Power-Grips came without holes. In that design the plate, which normally runs the little through the strap holes into a nut, came as a threaded plate with just a little bolt against a textured thinner pad-plate. The idea with those was to simply forego the need of position holes and instead slide the straps where ever you wanted and tighten the bolt without having it go through the strap into a nut. Instead the little bolt would screw down and push the texture thinner plate onto the strap and the strap would then be sandwiched against a set back-plate.

                                  Over the years I have seen both versions at different times. I also know I encountered the same type you did, which had no holes in the straps and only the bolt and nut configuration. Since I already had experience with Power-Grips I knew a hole in the strap was needed. I think I may have used a hammer and the awl-punch on my Leatherman multi-tool to make the hole.

                                  Anyway, it is very possible some dealers/distributors had (and may even still have) the variations of the older or interim versions in their stock. I would imagine most dealers might not pay attention to the minor detail of how a Power-Grip strap is suppose to connect to the pedal-plate, unless a particular sales person you happen to be dealing with personally uses Power-Grips regularly.

                      Mark,

                                  I too do not use clipless cycling footwear. Well… I kind of do not. I have tried, but never liked, SPD type pedals… so I do not use them. However, I do tend to buy cycling-specific mountain-bike shoes, sneakers, and sandals as well. Those almost always come with the removal “hatch” beneath the ball of the foot, so you can screw in the SPD plate. Naturally I could simply use any of the other normal footwear I own, but I tend to prefer cycling-specific footwear. That is because I am partially flat-foot, so having the stiff sole cycling shoes usually come with make my daily rides and occasional long distance rides more comfortable. Also I find cycling shoes tends to have a harder rubber/material on their bottoms, which does not wear out as easily on the spiky/textured metal pads of pedals.

                                  Anyway, I am saying all this because I totally understand where you are coming from. Like me, you prefer normal looking footwear. I am not sure how long or in what conditions you tried using those Power-Grips you had, but I do know when first using them they are very stiff and rigid. I have always found they break-in after a certain amount of usage, and they pretty much mold to the shape of what you ride in. I believe it also helps to get them soaked, so I recommend leaving your bike (or just your Power-Grip equipped pedals) outside when there is a good rain storm. As soon as the rain lifts (as in before the sun comes out to dry things up) go for a decent length ride. I would imagine that might help break-in the Power-Grips. Of course you could simply bike in wet weather for while as well, which is what I did naturally when I worked as a messenger. I am guessing riding in wet weather might be even better because the Power-Grip would be strained and stretched somewhat while wet and more malleable, then it would dry out in just about the prefect shape.

                                  Hope this helps guys. Ride safe,