Folder on an Xtra

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
      Just curious - reckon I will be finding out for myself soon - how
      easily does a folding bike fit on the saddlebags if I were to say
      "come to my Saturday ride - I'll bring a spare bicycle for you!"
    • Juergen Weichert
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
        I have done it - works fine.

        If you want to put the folder on one side only then it can be done with
        good strapping (bungee cords) or easier with a WideLoader. Alternately
        (depending on the folder) you might try folding it in such a way that
        the hinge is at the back of the FreeRadical (outside the bags) and one
        half of the folder nestles into each FreeLoader bag.

        I can post some pics if you are interested.

        Juergen

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
          On 2008-02-09, at 11:31 AM, Susan wrote:
          > Just curious - reckon I will be finding out for myself soon - how
          > easily does a folding bike fit on the saddlebags if I were to say
          > "come to my Saturday ride - I'll bring a spare bicycle for you!"

          Should be ok. Folding bikes usually weigh about 25 lbs, which
          is well within bounds. A wideloader would help, and failing that,
          a folded towel or tarp to keep the folder from poking holes in
          the saddlebags.

          Plan B, is just to bring a whole bike, or tow the folder unfolded:

          http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_1777/web.jpg

          http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_3054/web.jpg

          http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_3221/web.jpg

          The last bike affected the handling a bit. Again, use a pad of
          some sort to keep the pointy axle bits from harming the saddlebag.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008

                        David mentioned trailing a full bike (unfolded) with its front wheel in one of the freeloaders. I do not have a folding bike (though I would eventually like to have one or two for over-seas touring), but I have hauled fully assembled bikes in two other ways.

                        One was to have the bike standing on its two wheels almost like normal with one wheel on the front end of a wide-loader and the other wheel on the back end of the wide-loader. In this set up I have always used the load-loader bars to keep the bike’s wheel from interfering with my pedaling, etc. Naturally hauling a bike in this manner requires the usage of the freeloader straps hooked appropriately and having extra separate straps or tie-down straps is fairly essential as well. It really helps to be able to tie the front wheel to the down-tube, so that the wheel and handlebars do not rotate, particularly when just setting it all up. Having extra straps to also tie each of the rims to each of the ends of the wide-loaders helps a bunch too. I have only ever carried one fully assembled bike on my Xtracycle in this way, but I can not see why it would not be possible to haul one bike on each side of the Xtracycle if a person was to have two sets of wide-loaders and long-loaders as well as a number of extra straps or cord/rope.

                        The other method to hauling a bike is to actually retrofit a front-wheel quick release mount onto the rear step of the Xtracycle. In this way you can simply slip off your front wheel via its quick-release skewer, then connect the drop outs of the front wheel to the retrofitted mount on your Xtracycle’s rear-step. You can usually find the kind of front wheel mount I am talking about at your local bike shop or just about any cycling mail order catalog under the car accessories category. Nashbar has something similar to the mount I have hooked up to my Xtracycle here:

            http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600071&subcategory=60001022&brand=&sku=15324&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Car%20Rack%20Accessories

                        I had to drill/cut some extra holes in the mounting plate in order to slip in a pair of nautical grade (rust-proof stainless steel) hose clamps, which made it possible to clamp the mounting plate to the rear steps, but that was pretty much the only adjustment I needed to do for the setup. After that all I had to do was pop off the front wheel on any secondary bike, slip in the second bikes front fork into the rear-step quick-release mount, and either strap in only the front wheel into a freeloader of tie up the front wheel to the trailing bike itself. Either way it allows a passenger to still ride on the snap deck.

                        Mostly I have used the mount to trail a spare bike with me when I need to drop of my Xtracycled bike at the bike shop for repairs, then I simply ride the spare bike back home. There was one occasion however, which proved how useful the retrofit was. One time I was riding in New Jersey with a road-racing-bike-riding friend, when one of his spokes on his high-end low-spoke-count rims broke. He was not capable of riding the bike any longer, but we had no problem hooking up his bike to my retrofit mount. He just went for a ride on my snap deck after we called information on our cell phones to find out where the nearest bike shop was. The shop fixed his ride and we ended up only having a 30-45 minute delay because of it.

                        With a combination of both the first bike-hauling rigging I describe along with the retrofitted mount, I do not see why it should not be possible to haul three extra fully assembled bikes on an Xtracycle. One bike would have to trail with its front wheel detached while the other two bikes would be standing on each of the wide-loaders along either side of the Xtracycle. I believe I had photos of some of this posted on Xtracycle Real-Loads photo gallery within the community section, but it seems as if the Xtracycle.com web site may have eliminated that photo gallery and instead established a limited slide-show along with directing viewers to Xtracycle pages on Flickr.com.

            _TONE_

          • Tim Lupfer
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
              On Feb 10, 2008 3:47 PM, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

              > The other method to hauling a bike is to actually retrofit a
              > front-wheel quick release mount onto the rear step of the Xtracycle. In this
              > way you can simply slip off your front wheel via its quick-release skewer,
              > then connect the drop outs of the front wheel to the retrofitted mount on
              > your Xtracycle's rear-step.

              I did something similar to this except with a front hub and a muffler
              clamp. I ground the flange to match the profile of the freeradical and
              clamped it down. it's very stable and, in my estimation, preferable to
              the strapping it in a freeloader method. the hub also allows the bike
              to pivot, doing the headset a favor and ensuring that the skewer
              doesn't slip.
            • Mark Garvey
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
                On Feb 10, 2008 4:11 PM, Tim Lupfer <tim.lupfer@...> wrote:
                On Feb 10, 2008 3:47 PM, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

                >             The other method to hauling a bike is to actually retrofit a
                > front-wheel quick release mount onto the rear step of the Xtracycle. In this

                I had an odd idea!  (ok, nothing new there!)  But I am seriously thinking of building another small trailer with a couple of "hollywood" front fork clamps on one end and a tray for the rear wheel on the other.  then hooking that on the back of my X.  the bike trailer could also serve other purposes as well, but that would work maybe!

                mark