Xtracycle on a TREK 4500 MTB? + Does it Fit on CITY BUS Rack???

  • kwikfile08
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
      1)
      I am on the cusp of getting an xtracycle for my Trek 4500 MTB. Pics and/or experience?
      Curious about it...

      Ques. Deux (2)

      Will a retrofitted MTB fit on a city bus rack ?? I want to go car Free the Bus will take me
      almost there - I need to ride the last seven miles. Looking for real world experience.

      I know, " Man-Up" is what you are thinking. But it is 30 Miles each way. I can shave the first
      ten by car. But do not want to.

      Thoughts and Ideas please...

      Namaste'

      Carl
    • Mighk Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008

        See:

        http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22&p=22&hilit=bus#p22

        Mighk

        >>Will a retrofitted MTB fit on a city bus rack ?? I want to go car Free the Bus will take me
        almost there - I need to ride the last seven miles. Looking for real world experience.<<

      • jerry.wick
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
          I don't have first hand experience but there's some pics of an X on a
          city bus on this webpage, although he had to remove the front wheel.
          http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycle.html

          Jerry

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kwikfile08" <kwikfile08@...>
          wrote:

          > 1)
          > I am on the cusp of getting an xtracycle for my Trek 4500 MTB. Pics
          and/or experience?
          > Curious about it...
          >
          > Ques. Deux (2)
          >
          > Will a retrofitted MTB fit on a city bus rack ?? I want to go car
          Free the Bus will take me
          > almost there - I need to ride the last seven miles. Looking for
          real world experience.

          > I know, " Man-Up" is what you are thinking. But it is 30 Miles
          each way. I can shave the first
          > ten by car. But do not want to.
          >
          > Thoughts and Ideas please...
          >
          > Namaste'
          >
          > Carl
        • Someone Else
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
            http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22&p=22&hilit=bus#p22

            I know someone already quoted this site, but I wanted to add a few tips.  I have taken my rig on transit buses in San Diego a few times (due to mechanical failure I could not fix or physically being unable to make it home), which use the front-of-the-bus racks.  These things will just make the experience a bit easier.

            Make sure the crankarm/pedal on the side of the rack arm is positioned toward the back of the bike.  When you pull the arm up to position over the top tube, it will not get caught on the pedal. You will spend less time loading/unloading and are less likely to have the chain slip off.

            The whole loading process takes a bit of time to get used to.  If possible, try to use the bus as close to the beginning of the route as you can.  I know, most of the time this is out of the question...but at the start of the route, the driver is parked for at least 5 minutes and you have enough time to position the bike without the rush/panic going through your mind with traffic flying by you.

            I've failed at remembering to get a quick photo of the complete setup from the front on the few times I've done it.  Anyone else have any hints for easier bus use?

          • Phil Good-Elliott
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
              I don't know about a 4500. We have a 4300. Here's an old shot of it.

              -Phil
            • Jeff Youngstrom
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
                Mine is a Trek 6500. It barely fits. The problem is that the seat
                stays are so fat that they stick out far enough to press against the
                uprights at the front of the freerad. There's a picture here:

                http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/22100662/in/set-515126/

                This prevented me from having the tongue of the freerad below the
                chainstays which I think would result in better handling than I get
                now. (I can't really ride no-handed)

                I haven't seen a 4500 to know if it would have the same problem.

                jeffy
              • Nick Dallery
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
                  xtracycle on a trek 4600.
                  It fits perfectly. I even was able to place a bobike maxi (no picture
                  yet)
                  You should not have any problems at all. From what I understand my
                  4600 is the same frame as 4500 with slightly different components (for
                  european markets). It was sold as a replacement to the 4500 when
                  stocks ran low a few years ago.
                  good luck

                  nick
                • Devian Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
                    i wonder of the suspension, if not using a rigid fork.
                    that is...
                    from what i experienced of the 4500 I had around, the Jett fork was really soft.

                    On Feb 7, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Nick Dallery wrote:

                    xtracycle on a trek 4600.
                    http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/photos/ view/14ca? b=3