Re: [rootsradicals] Shimano Alfine rear hub for bigger rider?

  • phaedrus
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
      I'm interested in the answer to this as well.

      I've already had the rear-wheel for my BD built up so if the answer's
      no, I'm in trouble, but I'm pretty confident with these words from
      Sheldon Brown regarding the Rohloff:

      "It is a shame that the hub is only available in 32 holes, but I have
      been persuaded that 32 spokes, bedded in widely spaced flanges with no
      wheel dish, are stronger than 48 spokes on a dished wheel with the
      narrow flanges necessitated by 9 speed cassettes."

      Anyway, I recommend going with strong spokes. I think both DT-Swiss
      and Wheelsmith make 2.3mm/2.0mm butted spokes. I believe my wheel was
      built out with 2.0mm non-butted spokes. From Peter White:

      "Wheelsmith DB spokes are 2.0mm at the ends, and 1.7mm in the middle.
      They make a heavy duty spoke for tandems as well, the DH13, which is
      2.3mm at the elbow, and 2.0mm all the way to the threaded end. DH13
      spokes are extremely strong and should only be used with very strong,
      stiff rims. Lightweight rims are likely to crack around the spoke
      holes with heavy spokes like the DH13. "
      http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/spokes.asp

      I also recommend a nice strong rim. I went with Velocity Cliffhangers.

      I also recommend fat, lower pressure tires like the Schwalbe Big Apple
      2.15 or 2.35.

      Also, make sure you can stop with all that weight - be sure to read
      Surly's spew on the BD: http://www.surlybikes.com/spew19.html

      So, basically, good spokes and good rims and you should be set with a
      symmetrical hub. My current xtracycle has a shimano nexus 8 with Sun
      Rhyno Lites and I've carried between 350 and 400 lbs (including my
      weight) for 10+ mile rides.

      For a final confidence booster, Surly designed the BD to work with a
      Rohloff which only comes in 32 spokes, so you should be good with 32
      or 36.

      - phaedrus

      On Feb 1, 2008 4:57 PM, thedistrict303 <graydavid@...> wrote:
      > so the plan is to build up a big dummy with the new shimano alfine
      > rear hub, which is either 32 or 36 spokes (i can't tell which, does
      > anyone know?). assuming the wheel is well-built, with good spokes and
      > good sturdy rims (salsa delgados, sun rhynolites, etc), should this be
      > a reliable rear wheel for an xtracycle build? i'm about 280 lbs, and
      > plan to use it mostly for commuting on paved surfaces, but also for
      > some LIGHT trail riding and off road touring--nothing too crazy, no
      > drops, etc. i will, however, probably have a child or two on the back,
      > which will add anywhere between 40-60 pounds, along with a few pounds
      > of gear/lunch. i may even take the wife out for a evening ride around
      > town, in which case the load would be about 400 pounds. are WELL BUILT
      > 32/36 spoke wheels adequate for that much weight? am i pushing my
      > luck? is this spoke count just stupid for my load-bearing needs?
      >
      > i really like internal-geared hubs, and would like to use the alfine
      > if possible, since it's rated for off-road use. obviously, the front
      > wheel would be just as well built, but i know i can get a higher spoke
      > count up front. will using bigger tires help cushion the wheels from
      > damage? also, i know that the alfine hubs are just now entering the
      > market, but any experience with other shimano internal hubs (nexus)
      > would be invaluable, since i expect their load-bearing capacity is
      > probably similar.
    • thedistrict303
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
        ah, yes. the dishing. that logic makes sense. forgot about that. it
        really does make a difference--the rear wheel on my fixie is only 32
        spokes, but has taken a serious beating and is still true. thanks!