Re: tires

  • abneycat
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

      > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
      > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
      > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
      > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
      > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
      > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
      > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
      > thanks-Brian

      Ritchey Innovaders are another tire which is similar to the Avocet
      tires, they're treaded, but with an angled tread that remains *very*
      fast and well rolling even on pavement. I have a pair of these, and
      despite how treaded they appear, from the rolling side they're really
      quite smooth and perform really well on pavement. They really handle
      and perform exceptionally well in just about everything but deep mud
      and snow.

      I would suggest these as an alternative if people are having a hard
      time getting a hold of the Avocet Cross II tires.
    • Silivrenion
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
        If anyone's into winter and snow riding, I recommend Hakkapellitta W106 700c tires. 106 Steel Carbide studs on each wheel, they perform excellent over ice, frozen snow, and cut right through powder and slush. Be wary of road salt with these however, as that will cause a decrease in friction and you have a danger of slipping on top of sand or salt.

        --
        Steve Morley
        http://silivrenion.com