Re: [rootsradicals] Re: tires

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
      Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
      them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.

      Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
      (rivbike.com).

      David
    • brian
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
        I ordered them from cambria bicycle outfitters. I ordered online, I
        actually ordered 26 x 1.9. I wanted a little bit larger tire. As far
        as the K model I'm not sure, they're webstite stated three different
        options but did not give you a choice. I figured I wanted the K model
        but at this point I'll try anything. They did have other sizes listed
        as in stock. -Brian

        > Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
        > them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.
        >
        > Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
        > (rivbike.com).
        >
        > David

      • Morgan
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
          Hi Brian,
          I've seen those reviews on MTBR, and I'm not sure what's up with those - maybe there was
          a bad batch. I've been using the Conti Town + Country tires for about 4 years now, and I
          have not had a single flat that could be blamed on the tire (the only flat I've had was due
          to a broken spoke that punctured the tube from the inside out). I ride over gravel, glass,
          dirt, pavement, curbs - you name it. I don't use the tires for hard core offroad, but I do
          use them for just about everything else. Everyone else I know who has tried them also
          likes them and has had a positive experience. I seem to get at least a few thousand miles
          out of a pair, so their durability is good too.

          Morgan

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

          > Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried to get some schwalbe
          > marathons but had a hard time finding any, I had a set of
          > continental town and countries in my hand today but kept thinking of
          > some reviews that I read online about some quality issues so after
          > reading TONE'S advice I ordered a set of avocets. I should have
          > them in a days. Thanks again

        • abneycat
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

            > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
            > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
            > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
            > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
            > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
            > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
            > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
            > thanks-Brian

            Ritchey Innovaders are another tire which is similar to the Avocet
            tires, they're treaded, but with an angled tread that remains *very*
            fast and well rolling even on pavement. I have a pair of these, and
            despite how treaded they appear, from the rolling side they're really
            quite smooth and perform really well on pavement. They really handle
            and perform exceptionally well in just about everything but deep mud
            and snow.

            I would suggest these as an alternative if people are having a hard
            time getting a hold of the Avocet Cross II tires.
          • Silivrenion
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
              If anyone's into winter and snow riding, I recommend Hakkapellitta W106 700c tires. 106 Steel Carbide studs on each wheel, they perform excellent over ice, frozen snow, and cut right through powder and slush. Be wary of road salt with these however, as that will cause a decrease in friction and you have a danger of slipping on top of sand or salt.

              --
              Steve Morley
              http://silivrenion.com