RE: [rootsradicals] Re: tires

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008

      Brian,

                  I am glad my advice was helpful to you. I am curious where you ordered your Avocets, since I do not believe you can purchase them directly from Avocet’s web site. Did you place the order through your local bike shop? Also, did you get the “K” version? That does make a difference in my opinion. I wish you the best of luck and good riding on them. Hopefully they will prove themselves as dependable for you as they have been for me.

      _TONE_

    • Someone Else
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
        Brian,

        Do tell how/where you were able to order the tires.  I've been searching around trying to find a way to order them, specifically the Cross II K 26x1.5, and every place I've seen/talked to says they are out.  An email to the company a month or so ago stated they were unsure when they would be making more.

        Beth

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
          Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
          them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.

          Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
          (rivbike.com).

          David
        • brian
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
            I ordered them from cambria bicycle outfitters. I ordered online, I
            actually ordered 26 x 1.9. I wanted a little bit larger tire. As far
            as the K model I'm not sure, they're webstite stated three different
            options but did not give you a choice. I figured I wanted the K model
            but at this point I'll try anything. They did have other sizes listed
            as in stock. -Brian

            > Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
            > them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.
            >
            > Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
            > (rivbike.com).
            >
            > David

          • Morgan
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hi Brian,
              I've seen those reviews on MTBR, and I'm not sure what's up with those - maybe there was
              a bad batch. I've been using the Conti Town + Country tires for about 4 years now, and I
              have not had a single flat that could be blamed on the tire (the only flat I've had was due
              to a broken spoke that punctured the tube from the inside out). I ride over gravel, glass,
              dirt, pavement, curbs - you name it. I don't use the tires for hard core offroad, but I do
              use them for just about everything else. Everyone else I know who has tried them also
              likes them and has had a positive experience. I seem to get at least a few thousand miles
              out of a pair, so their durability is good too.

              Morgan

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

              > Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried to get some schwalbe
              > marathons but had a hard time finding any, I had a set of
              > continental town and countries in my hand today but kept thinking of
              > some reviews that I read online about some quality issues so after
              > reading TONE'S advice I ordered a set of avocets. I should have
              > them in a days. Thanks again

            • abneycat
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

                > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
                > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
                > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
                > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
                > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
                > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
                > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
                > thanks-Brian

                Ritchey Innovaders are another tire which is similar to the Avocet
                tires, they're treaded, but with an angled tread that remains *very*
                fast and well rolling even on pavement. I have a pair of these, and
                despite how treaded they appear, from the rolling side they're really
                quite smooth and perform really well on pavement. They really handle
                and perform exceptionally well in just about everything but deep mud
                and snow.

                I would suggest these as an alternative if people are having a hard
                time getting a hold of the Avocet Cross II tires.
              • Silivrenion
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                  If anyone's into winter and snow riding, I recommend Hakkapellitta W106 700c tires. 106 Steel Carbide studs on each wheel, they perform excellent over ice, frozen snow, and cut right through powder and slush. Be wary of road salt with these however, as that will cause a decrease in friction and you have a danger of slipping on top of sand or salt.

                  --
                  Steve Morley
                  http://silivrenion.com