Re: tires

  • Jeff Ong
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
      Re: tires
      Ugh! I'm trying to find something to replace my Conti T&C tires... they just feel sluggish and inert to me, like they're pre-flatted. I was thinking of the Big Apples -- I would really like something a little bit livelier, that I can lean into a turn a bit.

      you want Continental Town and Country tyres 2.1, with Slime inner tubes

      honestly...

      that set up ROCKS! i ride my xtra a ton, every day, hauling bunches
      of junk.

      and typically they are about $30 ea. i like that...and they are
      available all over the place.

      i vote for Conti's
      http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-BIKE-26X1-9-MTB-CONTINENTAL-TOWN-COUNTRY-2-
      PCS_W0QQitemZ160061742075QQcmdZViewItem

      peace...d

      --

      -----
      Jeff Ong, Manager, Leadcleaner (http://www.leadcleaner.com)
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
        I have Michelin Transworld MTB tires on my X (Trek 4300) and love them. They're fast and
        have withstood lots of riding around town. They have reflective sidewalls so they're great
        for side visibility in the dark.

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008

          Brian,

                      Here in Pennsylvania on my Xtracycled equipped bike I commute on pavement to work and back for 11 miles round trip each day five times a week in pretty much all weather conditions except perhaps icy conditions or snow above three inches (It is not that I could not bike in those conditions, I just choose not to because I am pretty sure drivers would not know how to cope with me on the road and I do not trust their patience or abilities in those conditions). Before moving to PA I worked for several years as a full time bike messenger in NYC with a few of those years equipped with an Xtracycle. As a bike messenger I learned about and came to love Avocet semi-slick inverted-tread Kevlar tires. They have very low rolling resistance for a “mountain bike” tire and seem to last a heck of a long time.

                      The exact tires I recommend are “Avocet Cross II 26x1.5 K” tires. I would not recommend them for ultra off-road muddy/rocky/wet terrain, but dry foot paths or puddles on hard-packed trails are no sweat. I have gone short distances on foot paths in the woods for camping as well as ridden a few hundred miles on converted hard-packed gravely rail trails (local rail-trail down to Baltimore and back). I have also ridden for many miles on rocky gravel along old railway lines (touring from Vienna to Budapest), although that was not the most pleasant riding (nor would not be on pretty much any bicycle tire). By your description it sounds like you are seeking something, which handles well on predominantly paved surfaces, and these tires are one of the smoothest for a 26 inch “mountain bike” set up. Riding on pavement for commuting and errands is what I do most and I love these tires for that.

          Here are a couple of links to Avocet’s site with tire specifications, etc. though I think they only sell through distributors.

          http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2.html

          http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2_specs.html

                      Hope this additional tire suggestion does not confuse your choices more. J

          _TONE_

        • brian
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
            Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried to get some schwalbe
            marathons but had a hard time finding any, I had a set of
            continental town and countries in my hand today but kept thinking of
            some reviews that I read online about some quality issues so after
            reading TONE'S advice I ordered a set of avocets. I should have
            them in a days. Thanks again

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008

              Brian,

                          I am glad my advice was helpful to you. I am curious where you ordered your Avocets, since I do not believe you can purchase them directly from Avocet’s web site. Did you place the order through your local bike shop? Also, did you get the “K” version? That does make a difference in my opinion. I wish you the best of luck and good riding on them. Hopefully they will prove themselves as dependable for you as they have been for me.

              _TONE_

            • Someone Else
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                Brian,

                Do tell how/where you were able to order the tires.  I've been searching around trying to find a way to order them, specifically the Cross II K 26x1.5, and every place I've seen/talked to says they are out.  An email to the company a month or so ago stated they were unsure when they would be making more.

                Beth

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
                  them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.

                  Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
                  (rivbike.com).

                  David
                • brian
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                    I ordered them from cambria bicycle outfitters. I ordered online, I
                    actually ordered 26 x 1.9. I wanted a little bit larger tire. As far
                    as the K model I'm not sure, they're webstite stated three different
                    options but did not give you a choice. I figured I wanted the K model
                    but at this point I'll try anything. They did have other sizes listed
                    as in stock. -Brian

                    > Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
                    > them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.
                    >
                    > Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
                    > (rivbike.com).
                    >
                    > David

                  • Morgan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                      Hi Brian,
                      I've seen those reviews on MTBR, and I'm not sure what's up with those - maybe there was
                      a bad batch. I've been using the Conti Town + Country tires for about 4 years now, and I
                      have not had a single flat that could be blamed on the tire (the only flat I've had was due
                      to a broken spoke that punctured the tube from the inside out). I ride over gravel, glass,
                      dirt, pavement, curbs - you name it. I don't use the tires for hard core offroad, but I do
                      use them for just about everything else. Everyone else I know who has tried them also
                      likes them and has had a positive experience. I seem to get at least a few thousand miles
                      out of a pair, so their durability is good too.

                      Morgan

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried to get some schwalbe
                      > marathons but had a hard time finding any, I had a set of
                      > continental town and countries in my hand today but kept thinking of
                      > some reviews that I read online about some quality issues so after
                      > reading TONE'S advice I ordered a set of avocets. I should have
                      > them in a days. Thanks again

                    • abneycat
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

                        > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
                        > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
                        > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
                        > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
                        > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
                        > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
                        > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
                        > thanks-Brian

                        Ritchey Innovaders are another tire which is similar to the Avocet
                        tires, they're treaded, but with an angled tread that remains *very*
                        fast and well rolling even on pavement. I have a pair of these, and
                        despite how treaded they appear, from the rolling side they're really
                        quite smooth and perform really well on pavement. They really handle
                        and perform exceptionally well in just about everything but deep mud
                        and snow.

                        I would suggest these as an alternative if people are having a hard
                        time getting a hold of the Avocet Cross II tires.
                      • Silivrenion
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                          If anyone's into winter and snow riding, I recommend Hakkapellitta W106 700c tires. 106 Steel Carbide studs on each wheel, they perform excellent over ice, frozen snow, and cut right through powder and slush. Be wary of road salt with these however, as that will cause a decrease in friction and you have a danger of slipping on top of sand or salt.

                          On Feb 4, 2008 2:04 PM, abneycat <live_work_buy_consume_die@...> wrote:

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

                          > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
                          > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
                          > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
                          > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
                          > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
                          > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
                          > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
                          > thanks-Brian

                          Ritchey Innovaders are another tire which is similar to the Avocet
                          tires, they're treaded, but with an angled tread that remains *very*
                          fast and well rolling even on pavement. I have a pair of these, and
                          despite how treaded they appear, from the rolling side they're really
                          quite smooth and perform really well on pavement. They really handle
                          and perform exceptionally well in just about everything but deep mud
                          and snow.

                          I would suggest these as an alternative if people are having a hard
                          time getting a hold of the Avocet Cross II tires.

                          --
                          Steve Morley
                          http://silivrenion.com