Re: Comfort for long distance?

  • marniegalloway
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
      Wow, thank you to everyone for your encouraging advice! I'll
      definitely take a look at my bank account to see if I can swing a bike
      with more gears than the 7d--the marin does seem like a better choice.
      Plus, taking into account how quickly I'd save by not taking the
      train, it seems just as easy to spend a bit more for a better bike in
      the end.

      I'll keep everyone posted when I get my bike later in the month.
      Thanks again, this has been exactly the information I was seeking!

      peace,
      -marnie
    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
        Marnie...One last bit of advice.  do you have a bike NOW??  And if so, why not use THAT for a while to get by?  another option is to ask friends and family if they have a bike you can borrow, steal, use or buy cheap.  I got a pretty nice frame from Freecycle locally (no cost!)  Remember, that IF you have a bike with a basic bottom bracket and spindle, you can put on a double or triple crank if you need to (nashbar has had a sale on stuff lately and I got a decent Shimano Triple for about $12, a derailleur for $8)  So you could start with a halfway decent bike and build it up the way you like.  After all, your bike will be a utility cruiser, not necessarily a flash rig!   But check out Craigs list for your area, put a request on the local Freecycle and scout around.  TONS of people have bikes in their garages that they simply do  not use and will be happy to part with for little or nothing!  come to that, I have a few here myself!  But you are likely too far away.

        mark

        On Feb 1, 2008 11:43 AM, marniegalloway <marniegalloway@...> wrote:
        Wow, thank you to everyone for your encouraging advice! I'll
        definitely take a look at my bank account to see if I can swing a bike
        with more gears than the 7d--the marin does seem like a better choice.
        Plus, taking into account how quickly I'd save by not taking the
        train, it seems just as easy to spend a bit more for a better bike in
        the end.

        I'll keep everyone posted when I get my bike later in the month.
        Thanks again, this has been exactly the information I was seeking!

        peace,
        -marnie

        ride to believe.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Mark  Garvey
        Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

        Post message: Iowaporkchoppers@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: Iowaporkchoppers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2008
          Just chiming in (and wondering how progress is going) - my commute is
          13 miles round trip (or up to 40 if I take the long way home). I've
          also taken the Xtra on the last two GITAP (Grand Illinois Trails and
          parks) rides - as a volunteer so I only did 350-400 miles that week,
          but it's comfortable on the occasional century. It's just not all
          that different from riding a bike. I ride it winter & summer, tho' in
          ice I ride my Gazelle with studded tyres (which didn't fit on the Xtra
          which is on a Giant Nutra which is an entry-level hybrid from the
          early 90's).

          BUT! YOur mileage may vary. Don't be afraid to invest in this thing
          as if it were a car or a partner... as in, somethign you spend time
          very, very close to rather often so that little things mean a lot.
          $20/week adds up fairly swiftly.

          Sue

          1- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "marniegalloway"
          <marniegalloway@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone--
          >
          > I am considering buying one of xtracycle's S.U.B. townie/free radical
          > bikes as a car replacement. I have been relying on public
          > transportation since getting rid of my car a few months ago, but I'm
          > spending $20/week on the train and it takes 45 min to go my 3 miles to
          > work. With that cost and time spent, it seems silly NOT to
          > bicycle-commute.
          >
          > I need a bike that covers 3 needs:
          >
          > 1) hearty enough to handle daily 3 miles 2x a day to work
          > 2) solid enough to serve as a car replacements for heavier loads
          > (groceries, cat litter, furniture?, etc)
          > 3) not too heavy that a 10-mile, 2x a day daily commute is brutal
          > (which will be the case in late Summer)
          >
          > So obviously the SUB was built to cover 1 and 2. But what about 3?
          > Does anyone regularly use their bike+radical for commutes that long?
          > Is it particularly heavy--or, if it is, is it worth it? The SUB seems
          > ideal to me, but if it is so cumbersome that I get discouraged from
          > long rides, I'd rather get a lighter bike.
          >
          > Thank you all for your much appreciated expert advice!

        • akyramoto
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
            HI, My boyfriends townie 21 with the xtra is really light, well for a
            hauling bike. we weighed it at the LBS & it came in @ 40lbs. I dont
            know if that helps you at all, but in my opinion it is a light & very
            capable bicycle. The only thing I personally dont like is that it's
            hard to ride out of the saddle. I will personally get out of it to
            gain some power, but my boyfriend rarely does that, so it works well
            for him.