tires

  • brian
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
      I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
      knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
      fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
      using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
      grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
      I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
      them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
      thanks-Brian
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
        > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
        > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.

        The only reason not to get them is if they don't fit your bike, or if
        you are lucky enough to find something better. I have not found
        anything better yet. I'm running snow tires now, and I they are
        nowhere near as nice.

        The advantages I perceive:

        1) smoother ride, even at full inflation.
        2) rim protection
        3) low rolling resistance. Don't know why, but I measured it head to
        head with a 120psi Bontrager of half the diameter, and the Big Apple
        was better.
        4) SAFER. The tire won't even fit in a misaligned sewer grate.
        Seams in the road don't grab the tire and interfere with steering.
        You ride over sand in the road, instead of squirreling down into it.
        5) higher load rating
        6) full-featured tire -- reflective strip, generator strip.
        7) stay at reasonable inflation for weeks.

        David
      • Dane Buson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
          On Feb 1, brian tripped the electrons lexically so:

          > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
          > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
          > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
          > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
          > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
          > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
          > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.

          I personally like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus at 26x1.75" for my X.
          They're reasonably wide and comfortable for my needs. The big
          advantage is the huge flat resistance. The last thing I want to do
          while hauling kids or groceries is to stop for flats.

          --
          Dane Buson - Buson@...
          "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
            you want Continental Town and Country tyres 2.1, with Slime inner tubes

            honestly...

            that set up ROCKS!  i ride my xtra a ton, every day, hauling bunches of junk.

            and typically they are about $30 ea.  i like that...and they are available all over the place.

            i vote for Conti's

            peace...d

            On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:27 PM, brian wrote:

            I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
            knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
            fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
            using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
            grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
            I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
            them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
            thanks-Brian

          • murray
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2008
              I've just got a new set of tyres myself today. I'm sold on big fat
              freestyle tires. I did want to try some big apples since everyone
              raves about them here, but proved to difficult to get hold of down
              here in New Zealand.
              I find freestyle tires have everything I need for the X. The set of
              tires I've just replaced after 12000 kilometers of mostly loaded
              riding were Geax Tattoos
              http://www.geax.com/vedit/pagina.asp~pagina~1904

              and this time I've replaced them with Maxxis Hookworms
              http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=160

              reasons I like them? Comfortable ride, they are made to withstand high
              pressure and extreme punishment, and they look freakin cool.

              On Feb 1, 2008 5:07 PM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

              > you want Continental Town and Country tyres 2.1, with Slime inner tubes
              >
              > honestly...
              >
              > that set up ROCKS! i ride my xtra a ton, every day, hauling bunches of
              > junk.
              >
              > and typically they are about $30 ea. i like that...and they are available
              > all over the place.
              >
              > i vote for Conti's
              > http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-BIKE-26X1-9-MTB-CONTINENTAL-TOWN-COUNTRY-2-PCS_W0QQitemZ160061742075QQcmdZViewItem
              >
              > peace...d
              >

              > On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:27 PM, brian wrote:
              >

              > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
              > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
              > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
              > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
              > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
              > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
              > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
              > thanks-Brian
              >

              > "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human
              > race." H.G. Wells
              > http://www.AsanaCycles.com

            • Juergen Weichert
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                Big Apples are nice - they give really good "passive suspension" and a
                smooth, easy ride.
                Be sure to check out the Schwalbe Marathon too for touring.
                Juergen

                brian wrote:

                > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
                > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
                > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
                > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
                > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
                > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
                > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
                > thanks-Brian
                >
                > _
              • Jeff Ong
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Re: tires
                  Ugh! I'm trying to find something to replace my Conti T&C tires... they just feel sluggish and inert to me, like they're pre-flatted. I was thinking of the Big Apples -- I would really like something a little bit livelier, that I can lean into a turn a bit.

                  you want Continental Town and Country tyres 2.1, with Slime inner tubes

                  honestly...

                  that set up ROCKS! i ride my xtra a ton, every day, hauling bunches
                  of junk.

                  and typically they are about $30 ea. i like that...and they are
                  available all over the place.

                  i vote for Conti's
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/TIRE-BIKE-26X1-9-MTB-CONTINENTAL-TOWN-COUNTRY-2-
                  PCS_W0QQitemZ160061742075QQcmdZViewItem

                  peace...d

                  --

                  -----
                  Jeff Ong, Manager, Leadcleaner (http://www.leadcleaner.com)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
                    I have Michelin Transworld MTB tires on my X (Trek 4300) and love them. They're fast and
                    have withstood lots of riding around town. They have reflective sidewalls so they're great
                    for side visibility in the dark.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008

                      Brian,

                                  Here in Pennsylvania on my Xtracycled equipped bike I commute on pavement to work and back for 11 miles round trip each day five times a week in pretty much all weather conditions except perhaps icy conditions or snow above three inches (It is not that I could not bike in those conditions, I just choose not to because I am pretty sure drivers would not know how to cope with me on the road and I do not trust their patience or abilities in those conditions). Before moving to PA I worked for several years as a full time bike messenger in NYC with a few of those years equipped with an Xtracycle. As a bike messenger I learned about and came to love Avocet semi-slick inverted-tread Kevlar tires. They have very low rolling resistance for a “mountain bike” tire and seem to last a heck of a long time.

                                  The exact tires I recommend are “Avocet Cross II 26x1.5 K” tires. I would not recommend them for ultra off-road muddy/rocky/wet terrain, but dry foot paths or puddles on hard-packed trails are no sweat. I have gone short distances on foot paths in the woods for camping as well as ridden a few hundred miles on converted hard-packed gravely rail trails (local rail-trail down to Baltimore and back). I have also ridden for many miles on rocky gravel along old railway lines (touring from Vienna to Budapest), although that was not the most pleasant riding (nor would not be on pretty much any bicycle tire). By your description it sounds like you are seeking something, which handles well on predominantly paved surfaces, and these tires are one of the smoothest for a 26 inch “mountain bike” set up. Riding on pavement for commuting and errands is what I do most and I love these tires for that.

                      Here are a couple of links to Avocet’s site with tire specifications, etc. though I think they only sell through distributors.

                      http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2.html

                      http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2_specs.html

                                  Hope this additional tire suggestion does not confuse your choices more. J

                      _TONE_

                    • brian
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3, 2008
                        Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried to get some schwalbe
                        marathons but had a hard time finding any, I had a set of
                        continental town and countries in my hand today but kept thinking of
                        some reviews that I read online about some quality issues so after
                        reading TONE'S advice I ordered a set of avocets. I should have
                        them in a days. Thanks again

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008

                          Brian,

                                      I am glad my advice was helpful to you. I am curious where you ordered your Avocets, since I do not believe you can purchase them directly from Avocet’s web site. Did you place the order through your local bike shop? Also, did you get the “K” version? That does make a difference in my opinion. I wish you the best of luck and good riding on them. Hopefully they will prove themselves as dependable for you as they have been for me.

                          _TONE_

                        • Someone Else
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                            Brian,

                            Do tell how/where you were able to order the tires.  I've been searching around trying to find a way to order them, specifically the Cross II K 26x1.5, and every place I've seen/talked to says they are out.  An email to the company a month or so ago stated they were unsure when they would be making more.

                            Beth

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
                              them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.

                              Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
                              (rivbike.com).

                              David
                            • brian
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                                I ordered them from cambria bicycle outfitters. I ordered online, I
                                actually ordered 26 x 1.9. I wanted a little bit larger tire. As far
                                as the K model I'm not sure, they're webstite stated three different
                                options but did not give you a choice. I figured I wanted the K model
                                but at this point I'll try anything. They did have other sizes listed
                                as in stock. -Brian

                                > Can't help with the Avocets, but for Schwalbe, I have either order
                                > them from Peter White Cycles (he's nearby) or from Schwalbe directly.
                                >
                                > Two other sources of "good stuff" are velo-orange.com and Rivendell
                                > (rivbike.com).
                                >
                                > David

                              • Morgan
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  Hi Brian,
                                  I've seen those reviews on MTBR, and I'm not sure what's up with those - maybe there was
                                  a bad batch. I've been using the Conti Town + Country tires for about 4 years now, and I
                                  have not had a single flat that could be blamed on the tire (the only flat I've had was due
                                  to a broken spoke that punctured the tube from the inside out). I ride over gravel, glass,
                                  dirt, pavement, curbs - you name it. I don't use the tires for hard core offroad, but I do
                                  use them for just about everything else. Everyone else I know who has tried them also
                                  likes them and has had a positive experience. I seem to get at least a few thousand miles
                                  out of a pair, so their durability is good too.

                                  Morgan

                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks everyone for your advice, I tried to get some schwalbe
                                  > marathons but had a hard time finding any, I had a set of
                                  > continental town and countries in my hand today but kept thinking of
                                  > some reviews that I read online about some quality issues so after
                                  > reading TONE'S advice I ordered a set of avocets. I should have
                                  > them in a days. Thanks again

                                • abneycat
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

                                    > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
                                    > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
                                    > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
                                    > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
                                    > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
                                    > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
                                    > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
                                    > thanks-Brian

                                    Ritchey Innovaders are another tire which is similar to the Avocet
                                    tires, they're treaded, but with an angled tread that remains *very*
                                    fast and well rolling even on pavement. I have a pair of these, and
                                    despite how treaded they appear, from the rolling side they're really
                                    quite smooth and perform really well on pavement. They really handle
                                    and perform exceptionally well in just about everything but deep mud
                                    and snow.

                                    I would suggest these as an alternative if people are having a hard
                                    time getting a hold of the Avocet Cross II tires.
                                  • Silivrenion
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      If anyone's into winter and snow riding, I recommend Hakkapellitta W106 700c tires. 106 Steel Carbide studs on each wheel, they perform excellent over ice, frozen snow, and cut right through powder and slush. Be wary of road salt with these however, as that will cause a decrease in friction and you have a danger of slipping on top of sand or salt.

                                      On Feb 4, 2008 2:04 PM, abneycat <live_work_buy_consume_die@...> wrote:

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "brian" <laplander@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm almost finished building up my new x, and I need to replace the
                                      > knobby trail tires with something roadworthy. I need some that are
                                      > fast and will hold up a decent load for touring. I'm planning on
                                      > using this bike for everything( long distance touring, camping,
                                      > grocery shopping, riding to the coffee shop, commuting to work, etc)
                                      > I've noticed a lot of people use big apples, I've been considering
                                      > them, but would like to here some suggestions before I buy them.
                                      > thanks-Brian

                                      Ritchey Innovaders are another tire which is similar to the Avocet
                                      tires, they're treaded, but with an angled tread that remains *very*
                                      fast and well rolling even on pavement. I have a pair of these, and
                                      despite how treaded they appear, from the rolling side they're really
                                      quite smooth and perform really well on pavement. They really handle
                                      and perform exceptionally well in just about everything but deep mud
                                      and snow.

                                      I would suggest these as an alternative if people are having a hard
                                      time getting a hold of the Avocet Cross II tires.

                                      --
                                      Steve Morley
                                      http://silivrenion.com