Comfort for long distance?

  • marniegalloway
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi everyone--

      I am considering buying one of xtracycle's S.U.B. townie/free radical
      bikes as a car replacement. I have been relying on public
      transportation since getting rid of my car a few months ago, but I'm
      spending $20/week on the train and it takes 45 min to go my 3 miles to
      work. With that cost and time spent, it seems silly NOT to
      bicycle-commute.

      I need a bike that covers 3 needs:

      1) hearty enough to handle daily 3 miles 2x a day to work
      2) solid enough to serve as a car replacements for heavier loads
      (groceries, cat litter, furniture?, etc)
      3) not too heavy that a 10-mile, 2x a day daily commute is brutal
      (which will be the case in late Summer)

      So obviously the SUB was built to cover 1 and 2. But what about 3?
      Does anyone regularly use their bike+radical for commutes that long?
      Is it particularly heavy--or, if it is, is it worth it? The SUB seems
      ideal to me, but if it is so cumbersome that I get discouraged from
      long rides, I'd rather get a lighter bike.

      Thank you all for your much appreciated expert advice!
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
        which "Townie" are you considering?

        my personal experience is that 100 miles per week is totally doable.  hopefully your route is safe and flat.  that would be GREAT!

        personal ability on a bicycle is obviously the limiting factor.  for a novice, i think 100 miles per week is attainable between now and summer.

        peace...d

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
          thanks so much for your fast response devian! i live in chicago--just
          about as flat as a city can get--and the bike path to downtown (the 10
          mile trek) is right by the lake in a separate bike path. very safe
          indeed. i am a casual power lifter so i'm strong, but you're right, i
          think having these months to build bicycle-riding endurance will be
          good for the longer distances.

          i'm thinking of getting the Townie 7d S.U.B.--any advice to the contrary?

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
          wrote:

          > which "Townie" are you considering?
          >
          > my personal experience is that 100 miles per week is totally doable.
          > hopefully your route is safe and flat. that would be GREAT!
          >
          > personal ability on a bicycle is obviously the limiting factor. for
          > a novice, i think 100 miles per week is attainable between now and
          > summer.
          >
          > peace...d
          > http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/photos/browse/a691

        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
            powerlifter....cool!
            i'd opt for the Marin Novato  if you can afford the extra $200.
            otherwise...i think the 7d is GREAT!

            i will tell you this much...
            there is a strong possibility you could become addicted to the bicycle lifestyle!

            with that said...you may want to keep your thoughts in that direction of "progression"
            meaning...you never know...you may "out grow" the Townie 7d.
            basically meaning you may end up wanting more gears, going further, faster, heavier loads, etc.

            peace...d

            wrote:

            > which "Townie" are you considering?
            >
            > my personal experience is that 100 miles per week is totally doable.
            > hopefully your route is safe and flat. that would be GREAT!
            >
            > personal ability on a bicycle is obviously the limiting factor. for
            > a novice, i think 100 miles per week is attainable between now and
            > summer.
            >
            > peace...d
            > http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/photos/ browse/a691

          • murray
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
              I do over 30 miles a day on my X all year round. Usually loaded up
              with my kite aerial photography gear too, just incase i need it (four
              kites two cameras, lines, winders, etc) . I only have one small hill
              on the commute. When I first started riding I couldn't do it everyday
              but it only took a few months before I was used to it and wouldn't
              miss my daily ride if I could help it. You'll be amazed what your body
              is capable of if you try.
              I would say you'll have no trouble if you stick to it.

              On Feb 1, 2008 12:00 PM, marniegalloway <marniegalloway@...> wrote:

              > thanks so much for your fast response devian! i live in chicago--just
              > about as flat as a city can get--and the bike path to downtown (the 10
              > mile trek) is right by the lake in a separate bike path. very safe
              > indeed. i am a casual power lifter so i'm strong, but you're right, i
              > think having these months to build bicycle-riding endurance will be
              > good for the longer distances.
              >
              > i'm thinking of getting the Townie 7d S.U.B.--any advice to the contrary?
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
              >
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > which "Townie" are you considering?
              > >
              > > my personal experience is that 100 miles per week is totally doable.
              > > hopefully your route is safe and flat. that would be GREAT!
              > >
              > > personal ability on a bicycle is obviously the limiting factor. for
              > > a novice, i think 100 miles per week is attainable between now and
              > > summer.
              > >
              > > peace...d
              > > http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/photos/browse/a691

            • Mark Garvey
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
                On Jan 31, 2008 4:28 PM, marniegalloway <marniegalloway@...> wrote:
                Hi everyone--

                I am considering buying one of xtracycle's S.U.B. townie/free radical
                bikes as a car replacement. I have been relying on public
                transportation since getting rid of my car a few months ago, but I'm
                spending $20/week on the train and it takes 45 min to go my 3 miles to
                work. With that cost and time spent, it seems silly NOT to
                bicycle-commute.

                Yeah, especially since my normal time to go 3.5 miles to our downtown area is about 18 minutes and back at 25 minutes!  Saves you about 40-45 minutes a DAY!  yeow!

                I need a bike that covers 3 needs:

                1) hearty enough to handle daily 3 miles 2x a day to work
                2) solid enough to serve as a car replacements for heavier loads
                (groceries, cat litter, furniture?, etc)
                3) not too heavy that a 10-mile, 2x a day daily commute is brutal
                (which will be the case in late Summer)

                I have been using my bike with the SUB since last summer for my daily commute of 7 Hilly miles.  Before the X I had a basic bike with a rack (same bike sans the X) a recumbent Trike and a recumbent bike.  All work!  The SUB is no worse than any of the others as far as cumbersome or anytning goes./ It IS definitely easier to ride on  hills and is super for carrying "stuff".  gear, groceries, farmers market produce, about anything you want to carry of reasonable size.

                Weight does not seem to be an issue really.  I have ridden my Xtracycle both WITH a power assist (adds 30 lbs to my bike!) and without the E assist.   (take off the 20 lb battery pack and the 8 lb motor)  time for the 7 miles is 40-45 minutes on the SUB no power assist, 30 minutes with PA.  But then I have som e really big hills!

                So obviously the SUB was built to cover 1 and 2. But what about 3?
                Does anyone regularly use their bike+radical for commutes that long?
                Is it particularly heavy--or, if it is, is it worth it? The SUB seems
                ideal to me, but if it is so cumbersome that I get discouraged from
                long rides, I'd rather get a lighter bike.

                Thank you all for your much appreciated expert advice!

                ride to believe.
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Mark  Garvey
                Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                Post message: Iowaporkchoppers@yahoogroups.com
                Subscribe: Iowaporkchoppers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
                  On 2008-01-31, at 5:28 PM, marniegalloway wrote:
                  > 1) hearty enough to handle daily 3 miles 2x a day to work
                  > 2) solid enough to serve as a car replacements for heavier loads
                  > (groceries, cat litter, furniture?, etc)
                  > 3) not too heavy that a 10-mile, 2x a day daily commute is brutal
                  > (which will be the case in late Summer)
                  >
                  > So obviously the SUB was built to cover 1 and 2. But what about 3?
                  > Does anyone regularly use their bike+radical for commutes that long?
                  > Is it particularly heavy--or, if it is, is it worth it? The SUB seems
                  > ideal to me, but if it is so cumbersome that I get discouraged from
                  > long rides, I'd rather get a lighter bike.

                  It's not at all cumbersome. I commute twice a week, 10 miles one
                  way, all year long, and sometimes hit 4 or 5 days during the summer.
                  Especially in the flats, the weight is not an issue -- 50 lbs of
                  load, and I can still ride no-hands on an unpaved trail (but I am
                  good at riding no-hands, and weigh 220 lbs, and the size of the
                  "counterweight" does matter).

                  I also favor the Novato over the Townie somewhat. The Townie is more
                  comfortable for casual riding, but you'll get a bit more power
                  sitting higher over the pedals on the Novato. You might want to swap
                  out the bars on the Novato for (say) Nitto Albatross (an easy
                  conversion). Fancier conversions would be to moustache or dropped
                  bars; that requires brake levers (Diacompe 287V) and probably bar-
                  ends or bar-ends+thumbies.

                  David
                • Anne Littlebird
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
                    Hey Marnie!

                    I commute daily 3 miles each way - some days it's longer depending on
                    where I need to run errands before or after work. So 6-8 miles Monday
                    through Friday is normal. Weekends is a lot more. Typical Saturdays run
                    15-25 miles and then 10 on Sunday.

                    The X handles it all! I would agree with Devian though that it might be
                    better to get the Marin. Usually I use 7 out of my 21 gears but there
                    are days with more weight and our hills that I like having a few extra.

                    So far except for the really bad weather days I've had no problems with
                    the X. really bad weather I walk to work which is good exercise too.

                    I'm more than very happy with what it will handle and how well I have
                    adapted.

                    Anne Littlebird
                    Issumatuq Herbals
                    P.O. Box 5161
                    Louisville, KY 40255
                    502-418-1023

                    marniegalloway wrote:

                    > Hi everyone--
                    >
                    > I am considering buying one of xtracycle's S.U.B. townie/free radical
                    > bikes as a car replacement. I have been relying on public
                    > transportation since getting rid of my car a few months ago, but I'm
                    > spending $20/week on the train and it takes 45 min to go my 3 miles to
                    > work. With that cost and time spent, it seems silly NOT to
                    > bicycle-commute.
                    >
                    > I need a bike that covers 3 needs:
                    >
                    > 1) hearty enough to handle daily 3 miles 2x a day to work
                    > 2) solid enough to serve as a car replacements for heavier loads
                    > (groceries, cat litter, furniture?, etc)
                    > 3) not too heavy that a 10-mile, 2x a day daily commute is brutal
                    > (which will be the case in late Summer)
                    >
                    > So obviously the SUB was built to cover 1 and 2. But what about 3?
                    > Does anyone regularly use their bike+radical for commutes that long?
                    > Is it particularly heavy--or, if it is, is it worth it? The SUB seems
                    > ideal to me, but if it is so cumbersome that I get discouraged from
                    > long rides, I'd rather get a lighter bike.
                    >
                    > Thank you all for your much appreciated expert advice!

                  • Philip Chase
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
                      Marnie,

                      My commute is 4.5 miles one way and I do it about 4 days a week now.
                      My X is attached to a bike rigged substantially similar to the Marin
                      Novato but probably heavier. The only thing that makes me suffer is
                      low tire pressure. Rolling resistance is the enemy--not weight. Buy
                      yourself a good floor pump with a gauge and check your tires at least
                      twice a month to keep those slick, high-pressure tires at the maximum
                      rated pressure.

                      When I rode my touring bike to work I only road 2 days a week--3 if I
                      got lucky. I've only been riding the X for 3 months but now I bike 3
                      days per week minimum--usually 4. The difference is now I can deliver
                      the kids to school in the morning on the X then proceed from there to
                      work. In the afternoons I can pickup my daughter at swim practice. I
                      don't have to use alternative transport (car for me) just because my
                      regular bike can't handle my kid cargo. My biggest obstacle to 5 days
                      a week is my lack of rain gear.

                      If you are concerned about the summer distance or the summer heat read
                      the many threads on electric assist bikes while you "train" for the
                      summer commute. E-assist is expensive, but compared to $20/wk for the
                      train week after week, it could be pretty cheap.

                      I think you will find the X is an enabler--not a burden. You might
                      not have kids to haul like I do, but I bet your 10 mile ride will take
                      you past a grocer, a hardware store, a movie rental outlet, a liquor
                      store, a pharmacy, a bakery, etc. Any of those stops you needed to
                      make already provides a great way to break up the ride. With the X
                      you can bring home damn near anything you buy.

                      Philip

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "marniegalloway"
                      <marniegalloway@...> wrote:

                      > Hi everyone--
                      >
                      > I am considering buying one of xtracycle's S.U.B. townie/free radical
                      > bikes as a car replacement. I have been relying on public
                      > transportation since getting rid of my car a few months ago, but I'm
                      > spending $20/week on the train and it takes 45 min to go my 3 miles to
                      > work. With that cost and time spent, it seems silly NOT to
                      > bicycle-commute.
                      >
                      > I need a bike that covers 3 needs:
                      >
                      > 1) hearty enough to handle daily 3 miles 2x a day to work
                      > 2) solid enough to serve as a car replacements for heavier loads
                      > (groceries, cat litter, furniture?, etc)
                      > 3) not too heavy that a 10-mile, 2x a day daily commute is brutal
                      > (which will be the case in late Summer)
                      >
                      > So obviously the SUB was built to cover 1 and 2. But what about 3?
                      > Does anyone regularly use their bike+radical for commutes that long?
                      > Is it particularly heavy--or, if it is, is it worth it? The SUB seems
                      > ideal to me, but if it is so cumbersome that I get discouraged from
                      > long rides, I'd rather get a lighter bike.
                      >
                      > Thank you all for your much appreciated expert advice!

                    • Mighk Wilson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                        I own a Marin Novato + X and am pretty happy with it, except for some component choices, which I can always upgrade later. I added bar-ends on the straight bars for more hand positions.

                        (Just rode 30 miles round trip last night to teach a safety course, carrying a laptop, projector and various show & tell stuff).

                        Weight is an issue if you have lots of hills (not an issue here in Fla.) or lots of stop & go. Once you're wound-up to cruising speed on the flats your weight is irrelevant. An X does have poorer aerodynamics than a short bike though, particularly due to the Freeloaders.

                        If you don't plan to haul heavy loads (and depending on your own weight) you may be able to get away with somewhat narrower and higher pressure tires than come stock on the Novato (1.5" that take 80 psi). That might help a bit with rolling resistance.

                        Mighk

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Wow, thank you to everyone for your encouraging advice! I'll
                          definitely take a look at my bank account to see if I can swing a bike
                          with more gears than the 7d--the marin does seem like a better choice.
                          Plus, taking into account how quickly I'd save by not taking the
                          train, it seems just as easy to spend a bit more for a better bike in
                          the end.

                          I'll keep everyone posted when I get my bike later in the month.
                          Thanks again, this has been exactly the information I was seeking!

                          peace,
                          -marnie
                        • Mark Garvey

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 8, 2008
                              Just chiming in (and wondering how progress is going) - my commute is
                              13 miles round trip (or up to 40 if I take the long way home). I've
                              also taken the Xtra on the last two GITAP (Grand Illinois Trails and
                              parks) rides - as a volunteer so I only did 350-400 miles that week,
                              but it's comfortable on the occasional century. It's just not all
                              that different from riding a bike. I ride it winter & summer, tho' in
                              ice I ride my Gazelle with studded tyres (which didn't fit on the Xtra
                              which is on a Giant Nutra which is an entry-level hybrid from the
                              early 90's).

                              BUT! YOur mileage may vary. Don't be afraid to invest in this thing
                              as if it were a car or a partner... as in, somethign you spend time
                              very, very close to rather often so that little things mean a lot.
                              $20/week adds up fairly swiftly.

                              Sue

                              1- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "marniegalloway"
                              <marniegalloway@...> wrote:

                              > Hi everyone--
                              >
                              > I am considering buying one of xtracycle's S.U.B. townie/free radical
                              > bikes as a car replacement. I have been relying on public
                              > transportation since getting rid of my car a few months ago, but I'm
                              > spending $20/week on the train and it takes 45 min to go my 3 miles to
                              > work. With that cost and time spent, it seems silly NOT to
                              > bicycle-commute.
                              >
                              > I need a bike that covers 3 needs:
                              >
                              > 1) hearty enough to handle daily 3 miles 2x a day to work
                              > 2) solid enough to serve as a car replacements for heavier loads
                              > (groceries, cat litter, furniture?, etc)
                              > 3) not too heavy that a 10-mile, 2x a day daily commute is brutal
                              > (which will be the case in late Summer)
                              >
                              > So obviously the SUB was built to cover 1 and 2. But what about 3?
                              > Does anyone regularly use their bike+radical for commutes that long?
                              > Is it particularly heavy--or, if it is, is it worth it? The SUB seems
                              > ideal to me, but if it is so cumbersome that I get discouraged from
                              > long rides, I'd rather get a lighter bike.
                              >
                              > Thank you all for your much appreciated expert advice!

                            • akyramoto
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                                HI, My boyfriends townie 21 with the xtra is really light, well for a
                                hauling bike. we weighed it at the LBS & it came in @ 40lbs. I dont
                                know if that helps you at all, but in my opinion it is a light & very
                                capable bicycle. The only thing I personally dont like is that it's
                                hard to ride out of the saddle. I will personally get out of it to
                                gain some power, but my boyfriend rarely does that, so it works well
                                for him.