Any Ideas for some stong Hubs?

  • Matt Gnome
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
      Could someone recomment some strong decent hubs for a 9 speed wheel set build for  Big Dummy ????

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
        On 2008-01-29, at 10:18 PM, Matt Gnome wrote:
        > Could someone recomment some strong decent hubs for a 9 speed wheel
        > set build for Big Dummy ????

        Value: Shimano XT M-760 DISK
        Be$t: Phil Wood

        At least, that was the discussion that I had with the wheel builder
        guy when it came to get a new one for my bike.
        I ended up going with the Shimano, which as a good thing, because now
        I only use the built wheel in the winter (it gets fewer miles, and
        somewhat less load).

        David
      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2008
          http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21654&subcategory_ID=5310
          i have this wheelset
          its cheap, and strong.
          good wheelset
          and best of all

          $115!

          On Jan 29, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Matt Gnome wrote:

          Could someone recomment some strong decent hubs for a 9 speed wheel set build for  Big Dummy ????

          Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

          http://www.AsanaCycles.com

        • cmears1963
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2008
            Hi

            Do you think these rims (rhynolite) would work with 1.5
            inch tires? Or are they too wide?

            Thanks

            -Carl

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert
            <asanacycles@...> wrote:

            > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?
            > SKU=21654&subcategory_ID=5310
            > i have this wheelset
            > its cheap, and strong.
            > good wheelset
            > and best of all
            >
            > $115!
            >
            > On Jan 29, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Matt Gnome wrote:
            >
            > > Could someone recomment some strong decent hubs for a 9 speed
            wheel
            > > set build for Big Dummy ????
            > >

            > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
            Yahoo!
            > > Search.
            > >

            > "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for
            the
            > human race." H.G. Wells
            > http://www.AsanaCycles.com

          • Jeremiah Ducate
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
              i've got rhynolites with 1.5" tires on my x right now.
              they are compatible, but i'm planning on going back to
              schwalbe marathon 1.75's soon, when i get new ones. i
              find the 1.5" tires to be not stable enough,
              especially with a lot of weight. i think the
              marathons are built much stronger as well.

              re: Shimano Alfine rear hub for bigger rider
              i think 36 spokes on the back are enough even for the
              loads you're talking about. if it's well built by a
              good shop with a stout rim. i don't know about the
              durability of the hub with big loads. it's defiitely
              beyond what it's built for. if you do many hills it
              may not have enough gear range either.

              "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." - Bill Nye, the Science Guy

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs