Long loader as work stand

  • Jeff Youngstrom
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2008
      I discovered a while back that if you detach the top fastener of a
      long loader on the drive side of the bike and flip it down toward the
      ground you can use it as a light-duty stand with the regular kick
      stand on the off side to keep your xtra-equipped bike from tipping
      over while you remove the rear wheel to fix a flat tire. Did it for
      the second time last night so thought I'd share the trick here.

      Here's a picture of the first time I used it this way:
      http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/1663280786/in/set-515126/

      Might suggest an everyday flip down stand design to someone handier than me.

      j.
      p.s. Anybody got a favorite bike-carryable tire pump they can
      recommend? I've got one of those little mini half-length pumps, but it
      seems stupid to carry something so small (and hard to use) on the X.
    • coolgnomeman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2008
        --Good idea mate, nice bike as well
        - In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Youngstrom" <jeffy@...> wrote:

        > I discovered a while back that if you detach the top fastener of a
        > long loader on the drive side of the bike and flip it down toward the
        > ground you can use it as a light-duty stand with the regular kick
        > stand on the off side to keep your xtra-equipped bike from tipping
        > over while you remove the rear wheel to fix a flat tire. Did it for
        > the second time last night so thought I'd share the trick here.
        >
        > Here's a picture of the first time I used it this way:
        > http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/1663280786/in/set-515126/
        >
        > Might suggest an everyday flip down stand design to someone handier
        than me.

        > j.
        > p.s. Anybody got a favorite bike-carryable tire pump they can
        > recommend? I've got one of those little mini half-length pumps, but it
        > seems stupid to carry something so small (and hard to use) on the X.

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2008
          I have a "mongoose" pump that I picked up from a Target store.  It is not the GREATEST pump, but it works in an emeergency and will get the tire up enough to get me home or to a gas station.  since I went to the fatter, 40 psi tires recently, it should do the job admirably.  My HOMe pump is a basic Black pump from Nashbar which has a gauge built in.  you could carry that on an X OK, but why?  the Mongoose pump cost me under a double sawbuck, and fits easily into the pockets on the FRs (along with the other 20 or so lbs of crap I always seem to carry!::::sigh:::)  It also converts from Presta to Schrader and back easily.

          mark

          On Jan 29, 2008 5:51 PM, coolgnomeman <coolgnomeman@...> wrote:
          --Good idea mate, nice bike as well
          - In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Youngstrom" <jeffy@...> wrote:

          > I discovered a while back that if you detach the top fastener of a
          > long loader on the drive side of the bike and flip it down toward the
          > ground you can use it as a light-duty stand with the regular kick
          > stand on the off side to keep your xtra-equipped bike from tipping
          > over while you remove the rear wheel to fix a flat tire. Did it for
          > the second time last night so thought I'd share the trick here.
          >
          > Here's a picture of the first time I used it this way:
          > http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/1663280786/in/set-515126/
          >
          > Might suggest an everyday flip down stand design to someone handier
          than me.

          > j.
          > p.s. Anybody got a favorite bike-carryable tire pump they can
          > recommend? I've got one of those little mini half-length pumps, but it
          > seems stupid to carry something so small (and hard to use) on the X.

          ride to believe.
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Mark  Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Post message: Iowaporkchoppers@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: Iowaporkchoppers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 30, 2008
            bike pump

            blackburn frame pump
            they have a great warranty
            and its a good pump

            d-

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2008
              This one caught my eye, but I have not yet made the leap and tried it.

              http://www.quickex.com/201-143-stationary.htm

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2008
                im pretty sure i have a Cyclaire pump somewhere in my storage...
                i'll go look...

                d-

                On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:38 AM, David Chase wrote:

                This one caught my eye, but I have not yet made the leap and tried it.

                http://www.quickex. com/201-143- stationary. htm

                > On Jan 29, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Jeff Youngstrom wrote:
                >> j.
                >> p.s. Anybody got a favorite bike-carryable tire pump they can
                >> recommend? I've got one of those little mini half-length pumps,
                >> but it
                >> seems stupid to carry something so small (and hard to use) on the X.

              • Juergen Weichert
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2008
                  I like the Topeak Road Morph. Small, light, and has folding foot and
                  handle and a short hose so it can pretend to be a floor pump. You can
                  also take it apart and get parts for it if needed. The "road" version
                  takes a bit longer to inflate high volume tires but allows higher pressures.
                  Thanks
                  Juergen

                  Devian Gilbert wrote:

                  > im pretty sure i have a Cyclaire pump somewhere in my storage...
                  >
                  > http://www.cyclaire.com/bikepump.html
                  > <http://www.cyclaire.com/bikepump.html>
                  > i'll go look...
                  >
                  > d-
                • phaedrus
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2008
                    > p.s. Anybody got a favorite bike-carryable tire pump they can
                    > recommend? I've got one of those little mini half-length pumps, but it
                    > seems stupid to carry something so small (and hard to use) on the X.

                    I'm a big fan of the Topeak Road Morph or Topeak Turbo Morph G
                    http://www.topeak.com/t8/products/minipumps/minimain.php

                    - phaedrus
                  • jparks781
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 30, 2008
                      One more vote for the Topeak Morph variants. The frame mount for the
                      first one I got is really nice; the second one I never got around to
                      mounting and I carry it in a bag, I can't remember what the mount is like.

                      But the ability to use the pump as a floor pump while on the road or
                      trail (have I ever gotten a flat on the trail? maybe not) is great
                      which is why I bought another one even though I have a couple of old
                      metal Zefal HP pumps that seem to last forever.

                      I guess I bought "Mountain Morph" models, without the gauge. Gauge
                      wasn't available when I got the first one, seemed too expensive an
                      option when I bought the second.

                      Joel

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I like the Topeak Road Morph. Small, light, and has folding foot and
                      > handle and a short hose so it can pretend to be a floor pump. You can
                      > also take it apart and get parts for it if needed. The "road" version
                      > takes a bit longer to inflate high volume tires but allows higher
                      pressures.
                      > Thanks
                      > Juergen

                    • abneycat
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 30, 2008
                        I'd like to put a mention down for the Blackburn Mammoth. Its a more
                        substantial pump than some of those little half-size ones, capable of
                        filling up a *large* volume tire really quite fast. Durable and
                        simple/easy to maintain, you can fill both Schraeder and Presta with
                        it, and its well suited to the typical wider tires on an Xtracycle.
                        Good match.

                        Weaknesses? Well, it doesn't do high PSI (>75) well. If you find a
                        roadie dead in the water without a pump, you can fill his tires enough
                        to make him roll again, but not enough to *completely* restore a 90-
                        100PSI road tire. I also wouldn't mount it upside down on the frame of
                        your bike, it tends to open on you when mounted that way. I just throw
                        mine into the inner pocket of one of the freeloaders.

                        The Mammoth is a product thats been around since 1996, which doesn't
                        happen with many cycling items unless they're good.