Peapod alternative

  • awade1975
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
      Hey y'all,

      I just saw this
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/12578791@N00/2165260800/

      which gave me an idea on the current peapod shortage. Go out and look
      for a bobike mini as long as your child is less than 33lbs/15 kg. I
      know there are US retailers that carry them, or look on ebay. Though
      that is not a bobike mini in the picture (not sure what the brand is),
      minis are made to attach to your stem like the one shown and could be
      adapted to attach to your seatpost.

      Incidentally, I have a bobike mini on my stem and a maxi (peapod) and
      take both kids on the X, with neither child riding on the deck
      routinely yet. I am waiting for the seat pad they were showing at
      interbike.
    • mac stricklen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
        I second this recommendation of the Bobike Mini--My daughter had ridden around in one for the last year and I (and she) couldn't be happier with it.  I'm pretty bummed that she's approaching the weight limit.  Not only does she like being up front and right in the action, it lets us talk to each other more easily, and I think it actually improves the bike's handling.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          On Jan 4, 2008, at 5:17 AM, awade1975 wrote:

          > Incidentally, I have a bobike mini on my stem and a maxi (peapod) and
          > take both kids on the X, with neither child riding on the deck
          > routinely yet. I am waiting for the seat pad they were showing at
          > interbike.

          reminds me, i've been meaning to post this...

          here's how to make your own padded snapdeck:
          (photos of my completed snapdeck are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipdiaz/sets/72157603637587385/
          )

          1) go to http://www.xtracycle.com/snap-piece-p-101.html and order four
          snap piece hooks

          2) go to a fabric store that carries upholstery fabric; buy 1/2 a yard
          of marine vinyl in whatever color you like (i chose bright red), and a
          piece of 2" thick upholstery foam that is at least as big as your
          snapdeck

          3) get a piece of 3/8" plywood (birch ply works well); trace the
          snapdeck outline onto it along with the placement of the holes

          4) cut out your new snapdeck with a jigsaw or bandsaw; drill the four
          holes for the snap pieces (same diameter as the bolt); don't worry
          about sanding the sides - they will be covered by the vinyl

          5) give one side of the plywood a couple layers of varnish to make it
          weather resistant (doesn't matter which side); this is the side that
          will be facing the rear wheel

          6) install the four snap pieces on the finished side of the plywood
          with a hex wrench - check your original snapdeck for proper
          orientation; be careful not to bend the point on the snap piece "nail"
          when installing them - the nail should go straight in as you tighten
          the hex bolt

          7) cut out the foam to fit the snapdeck; it doesn't have to look good,
          but make it fit closely; i put the foam down on a cutting mat,
          squished it down with the new snapdeck, and then cut around the deck
          with an x-acto knife

          8) glue the foam to the snapdeck just enough so it doesn't move
          around; a hot glue gun works well for this

          9) put the vinyl face-down on a table, then set your padded snapdeck
          on top, foam-side down so you're looking at the bottom

          10) use a staple gun to tack the vinyl on the underside of the deck
          (the side facing you); work your way around the deck, pulling the
          vinyl slightly to tighten it around the foam; don't pull too tightly
          or the foam will get compressed too much; fold the vinyl over itself
          to keep the sides looking good; if you don't like how it's going, you
          can always pull out some staples and re-do it

          11) after it's stapled all around, take a utility knife or x-acto and
          cut around the bottom of the snapdeck to take off the excess vinyl

          12) snap it on your xtracycle and go! your passenger's hiney will
          thank you.
        • jparks781
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Philip.X.Diaz <st_indigo@...> wrote:

            > here's how to make your own padded snapdeck:
            > (photos of my completed snapdeck are at
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipdiaz/sets/72157603637587385/
            > )
            >
            > 1) go to http://www.xtracycle.com/snap-piece-p-101.html and order four
            > snap piece hooks

            > 11) after it's stapled all around, take a utility knife or x-acto and
            > cut around the bottom of the snapdeck to take off the excess vinyl

            That's pretty sweet. But why wouldn't you extend the vinyl all the
            way across to meet itself at the other side? Wouldn't you get some
            protection of the wood from the vinyl? I suppose it would trap
            moisture... but doesn't the current implementation hold some moisture
            between the vinyl and the board bottom and edge?

            Joel
          • Philip.X.Diaz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
              On Jan 4, 2008, at 6:35 PM, jparks781 wrote:

              > That's pretty sweet. But why wouldn't you extend the vinyl all the
              > way across to meet itself at the other side? Wouldn't you get some
              > protection of the wood from the vinyl? I suppose it would trap
              > moisture... but doesn't the current implementation hold some moisture
              > between the vinyl and the board bottom and edge?

              i suppose you could wrap the whole thing in vinyl, but then you'd have
              trouble getting the vinyl around the snap pieces. as it is now, some
              moisture gets under the edge of the vinyl, but it dries out.

              FYI, i never did get around to varnishing the underside of my
              snapdeck, but it still looks good after 11 months. keep in mind
              though that i live in California, so your milage may vary.

              -philip-
            • rktrujillo
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
                This seat is made in Japan by OKG. I do not know if it is available
                outside Japan. It has two hooks that go over the handlebars. Max
                weight is 15kg. It works great and only about $30 US.