Re: [rootsradicals] Day 6 Bicycle with an Xtracycle

  • Bruce Hallman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
      > potential Xtracycle host. http://www.day6bicycles.com/

      It looks to me like it could work. The Day6 chain seems long already,
      and it is an open question whether making the chain even longer by
      adding and Xtracycle will make it 'too long'. My guess is that it
      would work.

      Using recuments for cargo bikes is already of interest to a lot of
      people. Especially considering the good aerodynamics of 'bents, it
      begs for the cargo 'tailbox' to be streamlined for good airflow.
      Google search on 'recument tailbox' to see more.

      And,

      http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/tailbox/barracudatailbox.htm
    • tytanup
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
        I think you might want to check out:

        http://www.angletechcycles.com/bikes/freighter/index.htm

        These long-wheelbase recumbents look much more comfy than the day6
        bikes. If you look at the seating posture of the couple riding the
        day6 on the webpage home...they look only slightly higher up than a
        person riding a Rans Stratus or Formula. The comfort of the Stratus
        is very much like sitting in a favorite chair, I know I've ridden one.
        I currently ride a Rans V-rex, which is a short-wheelbase recumbent.
        I don't think an xtracycle conversion would work well on a
        short-wheelbase, but the long-wheelbase 'bents look very much at ease
        with the loads. And with the added benefit of having a lower
        bottombracket and seat height, one could easily have their feet down
        on the ground flat-footed.

        Might be worth a look.
      • jparks781
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "tytanup" <blue73thing@...> wrote:

          > I don't think an xtracycle conversion would work well on a
          > short-wheelbase, but the long-wheelbase 'bents look very much at ease
          > with the loads.

          Why do you think so? Have you seen Juergen's cargo trike?