Day 6 Bicycle with an Xtracycle

  • macwinch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi Guys

      I'm a long time lurker interested in your thoughts on these bikes as a
      potential Xtracycle host. http://www.day6bicycles.com/

      My interest is in creating a family cargo bike which could be used by
      multiple riders with just a little adjustment.

      Your comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Simon
    • Bruce Hallman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
        > potential Xtracycle host. http://www.day6bicycles.com/

        It looks to me like it could work. The Day6 chain seems long already,
        and it is an open question whether making the chain even longer by
        adding and Xtracycle will make it 'too long'. My guess is that it
        would work.

        Using recuments for cargo bikes is already of interest to a lot of
        people. Especially considering the good aerodynamics of 'bents, it
        begs for the cargo 'tailbox' to be streamlined for good airflow.
        Google search on 'recument tailbox' to see more.

        And,

        http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/tailbox/barracudatailbox.htm
      • tytanup
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
          I think you might want to check out:

          http://www.angletechcycles.com/bikes/freighter/index.htm

          These long-wheelbase recumbents look much more comfy than the day6
          bikes. If you look at the seating posture of the couple riding the
          day6 on the webpage home...they look only slightly higher up than a
          person riding a Rans Stratus or Formula. The comfort of the Stratus
          is very much like sitting in a favorite chair, I know I've ridden one.
          I currently ride a Rans V-rex, which is a short-wheelbase recumbent.
          I don't think an xtracycle conversion would work well on a
          short-wheelbase, but the long-wheelbase 'bents look very much at ease
          with the loads. And with the added benefit of having a lower
          bottombracket and seat height, one could easily have their feet down
          on the ground flat-footed.

          Might be worth a look.
        • jparks781
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "tytanup" <blue73thing@...> wrote:

            > I don't think an xtracycle conversion would work well on a
            > short-wheelbase, but the long-wheelbase 'bents look very much at ease
            > with the loads.

            Why do you think so? Have you seen Juergen's cargo trike?