Re: on e-assist

  • tda0818
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
      I'd be interested.

      --urbino

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...>
      wrote:

      > I have been using (and selling) e-assist systems for several years now.
      > There is no question about it - e-assist gets more folks out on bikes
      > and certainly extends the utility of any bike but especially cargo
      bikes.

      > I feel that electric assist should supplement, not replace human power
      > as the primary motive force on the bike. As others have noted there is
      > no "need" for electric on a bike given sufficient health and bicycle
      > gearing, and time. You can get up any grade with just about any load,
      > albeit at a crawl in some cases. Electric levels the playing field
      > allowing those with heavy loads (personal or cargo!) to make it up
      > grades in decent time at decent (regular cruising) speeds. Electric
      > should not be seen as a way to go faster, but rather easier and more
      > frequently. Most laws concerning electric bikes limit top (assisted)
      > speeds to 20mph or 32km/h here in Canada. (reasonable - this is a quick
      > cruising speed for most cyclists).
      >
      > There are many systems out there and it is vitally important to work
      > with someone who understands them and can guide you to the best system
      > for your needs. I would be happy to comment further about the ones I
      > have used if folks are interested.
      >
      > Juergen
      >
      > Juergen Weichert
      > 613-746-7685
      > Acclivity Solutions
      > www.acclivity.ca

    • David Eichelberger
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
        I second the motion.
        Love,
        Dave

        > I have been using (and selling) e-assist systems for several years now.
        > There is no question about it - e-assist gets more folks out on bikes
        > and certainly extends the utility of any bike but especially cargo
        bikes.

        > I feel that electric assist should supplement, not replace human power
        > as the primary motive force on the bike. As others have noted there is
        > no "need" for electric on a bike given sufficient health and bicycle
        > gearing, and time. You can get up any grade with just about any load,
        > albeit at a crawl in some cases. Electric levels the playing field
        > allowing those with heavy loads (personal or cargo!) to make it up
        > grades in decent time at decent (regular cruising) speeds. Electric
        > should not be seen as a way to go faster, but rather easier and more
        > frequently. Most laws concerning electric bikes limit top (assisted)
        > speeds to 20mph or 32km/h here in Canada. (reasonable - this is a quick
        > cruising speed for most cyclists).
        >
        > There are many systems out there and it is vitally important to work
        > with someone who understands them and can guide you to the best system
        > for your needs. I would be happy to comment further about the ones I
        > have used if folks are interested.
        >
        > Juergen
        >
        > Juergen Weichert
        > 613-746-7685
        > Acclivity Solutions
        > www.acclivity. ca

      • Bruce Hallman
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
          On Dec 31, 2007 11:12 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
          > > A fascinating book that delves into this is "Bicycling and the Law" by
          > > Bob Minonski.

          > > Bicycle travel is a Constitutional protected right,
          > > motor vehicle travel is not.
          >
          > If this about bicycle travel as a protected constitutional right is
          > true, then it ought to be broadcast widely. Too many cars think they
          > own the road.

          Read the Minonski book to learn the details, but specifically the
          Constitution protects the right of interstate travel. And, court
          cases have ruled that this is meaningless without also there being a
          right of intrastate travel. And, considering that the right to drive
          an automobile is revocable, (for instance, due to being underage, or
          due to a conviction for drunk driving) then therefore the right to the
          road for bicycles is constitutionally protected. This is legal
          theory, Constitutional, that the lawyers use to contest (and win)
          nearly every attempt by cities and states to pass laws to prohibit
          bicycles on roads. To successfully prohibit bicycles from roads
          requires a very compelling reason in the courts, and has largely
          failed.

          Also, most state law is based on the 'pre-automobile' origin of the US
          Vehicle codes, designed primarily to regulate horse carriages, and
          bicycles sharing the road. Essentially every state has a variation on
          the law "bicycles have all the rights and duties" of the road as
          vehicles clause.

          Again, read the Minonski book, it is fascinating.
        • tda0818
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
            Mionske is the author's name, for anybody who's looking for the book.

            http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Law-Your-Rights-Cyclist/dp/1931382999/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199249074&sr=1-1

            --urbino

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:

            > Again, read the Minonski book, it is fascinating.

          • MH
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hi Juergen. Something I added to my list is a - chopper for sculptured
              beauty. I've been looking at chopper cruisers for several years and
              just last week I picked up a Christmas Special, a PhatCycles.com
              Modified Stretch for half price at my local bike shop. Its a single
              speed. I suppose that falls into the simplicity category. I went in
              for a XtraCycle and couldn't pass up the deal. I plan on getting my X
              cargo bike sometime when its warmer out. To satisfy my interest I've
              been collecting some online photos for my home slide showing of the X at
              work. I hope to put the X into overtime duty this summer doing some
              trail building. -Mark