Re: [rootsradicals] Re:on e-assist

  • Juergen Weichert
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
      Velomobiles are faster than just about anything else out there.
      Juergen

      tda0818 wrote:

      > The Go-One is one sleek machine, alright, but $10,000? Ay, carumba!
      >
      > There's no way it provides 9 thousand dollars worth of value over an X
      > -- or even, say, $6k worth of value over a seriously tricked out road
      > bike or very nice recumbent. Does it do anything a normal bike can't
      > do? I don't see anything. I mean, I guess it'll keep the weather
      > off, but that's something, say, $500 worth of well-designed layering
      > will do, head to toe. What does the other $5.5k get you? (Not turn
      > signals, which should be mandatory on a rig like this. They're an
      > extra thousand bucks.)
      >
      > These questions aren't aimed at anybody here, btw. They're just me
      > thinking out loud, trying to figure out what the market is for a $10k
      > recumbent. ISTM they're banking entirely on the "cool" factor. I
      > don't get it. I guess not many people do; they say they've sold less
      > than 50 of them.
      >
      > --urbino

    • tda0818
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
        I'd be interested.

        --urbino

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...>
        wrote:

        > I have been using (and selling) e-assist systems for several years now.
        > There is no question about it - e-assist gets more folks out on bikes
        > and certainly extends the utility of any bike but especially cargo
        bikes.

        > I feel that electric assist should supplement, not replace human power
        > as the primary motive force on the bike. As others have noted there is
        > no "need" for electric on a bike given sufficient health and bicycle
        > gearing, and time. You can get up any grade with just about any load,
        > albeit at a crawl in some cases. Electric levels the playing field
        > allowing those with heavy loads (personal or cargo!) to make it up
        > grades in decent time at decent (regular cruising) speeds. Electric
        > should not be seen as a way to go faster, but rather easier and more
        > frequently. Most laws concerning electric bikes limit top (assisted)
        > speeds to 20mph or 32km/h here in Canada. (reasonable - this is a quick
        > cruising speed for most cyclists).
        >
        > There are many systems out there and it is vitally important to work
        > with someone who understands them and can guide you to the best system
        > for your needs. I would be happy to comment further about the ones I
        > have used if folks are interested.
        >
        > Juergen
        >
        > Juergen Weichert
        > 613-746-7685
        > Acclivity Solutions
        > www.acclivity.ca

      • David Eichelberger
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
          I second the motion.
          Love,
          Dave

          > I have been using (and selling) e-assist systems for several years now.
          > There is no question about it - e-assist gets more folks out on bikes
          > and certainly extends the utility of any bike but especially cargo
          bikes.

          > I feel that electric assist should supplement, not replace human power
          > as the primary motive force on the bike. As others have noted there is
          > no "need" for electric on a bike given sufficient health and bicycle
          > gearing, and time. You can get up any grade with just about any load,
          > albeit at a crawl in some cases. Electric levels the playing field
          > allowing those with heavy loads (personal or cargo!) to make it up
          > grades in decent time at decent (regular cruising) speeds. Electric
          > should not be seen as a way to go faster, but rather easier and more
          > frequently. Most laws concerning electric bikes limit top (assisted)
          > speeds to 20mph or 32km/h here in Canada. (reasonable - this is a quick
          > cruising speed for most cyclists).
          >
          > There are many systems out there and it is vitally important to work
          > with someone who understands them and can guide you to the best system
          > for your needs. I would be happy to comment further about the ones I
          > have used if folks are interested.
          >
          > Juergen
          >
          > Juergen Weichert
          > 613-746-7685
          > Acclivity Solutions
          > www.acclivity. ca

        • Bruce Hallman
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
            On Dec 31, 2007 11:12 PM, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
            > > A fascinating book that delves into this is "Bicycling and the Law" by
            > > Bob Minonski.

            > > Bicycle travel is a Constitutional protected right,
            > > motor vehicle travel is not.
            >
            > If this about bicycle travel as a protected constitutional right is
            > true, then it ought to be broadcast widely. Too many cars think they
            > own the road.

            Read the Minonski book to learn the details, but specifically the
            Constitution protects the right of interstate travel. And, court
            cases have ruled that this is meaningless without also there being a
            right of intrastate travel. And, considering that the right to drive
            an automobile is revocable, (for instance, due to being underage, or
            due to a conviction for drunk driving) then therefore the right to the
            road for bicycles is constitutionally protected. This is legal
            theory, Constitutional, that the lawyers use to contest (and win)
            nearly every attempt by cities and states to pass laws to prohibit
            bicycles on roads. To successfully prohibit bicycles from roads
            requires a very compelling reason in the courts, and has largely
            failed.

            Also, most state law is based on the 'pre-automobile' origin of the US
            Vehicle codes, designed primarily to regulate horse carriages, and
            bicycles sharing the road. Essentially every state has a variation on
            the law "bicycles have all the rights and duties" of the road as
            vehicles clause.

            Again, read the Minonski book, it is fascinating.
          • tda0818
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 1, 2008
              Mionske is the author's name, for anybody who's looking for the book.

              http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Law-Your-Rights-Cyclist/dp/1931382999/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199249074&sr=1-1

              --urbino

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:

              > Again, read the Minonski book, it is fascinating.

            • MH
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2008
                Hi Juergen. Something I added to my list is a - chopper for sculptured
                beauty. I've been looking at chopper cruisers for several years and
                just last week I picked up a Christmas Special, a PhatCycles.com
                Modified Stretch for half price at my local bike shop. Its a single
                speed. I suppose that falls into the simplicity category. I went in
                for a XtraCycle and couldn't pass up the deal. I plan on getting my X
                cargo bike sometime when its warmer out. To satisfy my interest I've
                been collecting some online photos for my home slide showing of the X at
                work. I hope to put the X into overtime duty this summer doing some
                trail building. -Mark