Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Newest and proud owner

  • Juergen Weichert
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
      I have carried a 20" extension ladder, collapsed to 10'. It stuck out
      the back and out the front - I mounted it so that the balance point of
      the ladder was centred on the middle of the wide loader. Handling was
      great and I was able to ride through (short sections of) busy traffic.
      Long Loaders help, or use some other way to offset the load at an angle
      so that your pedal area is clear. I also used a bright warning flag at
      the back end of the ladder. Just watch your clearance on turns as the
      load sticks out a bit - give yourself more margin all around.
      Juergen

      Nick Dallery wrote:

      > Thank you for all of your responses.
      > I guess my biggest worry about carrying a surfboard is not the load or
      > weight in itself but more of the shape. I guess I have not yet found a
      > proper way to strap the board efficiently on. It seems that it would
      > slide out easily.
      > I shouldn't be that worried because for about 15 years now I have
      > strapped boards on roof racks and have never lost one or come close.
      > I'll probably outfit the wideloader with insulation foam and give it a
      > try this week.
      > I have today, successfully hooked the kids trailer and carried them in
      > it. the real challenge will be carrying the board and the trailer
      > because the board will probably stick out of the back.
      >
      > nick

    • Jeff Youngstrom
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
        On Jan 1, 2008 6:47 AM, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:
        > I have carried a 20" extension ladder, collapsed to 10'. It stuck out
        > the back and out the front - I mounted it so that the balance point of
        > the ladder was centred on the middle of the wide loader. Handling was
        > great and I was able to ride through (short sections of) busy traffic.

        I've carried an extension ladder too with similar ease to what Juergen
        reports. Even snapped a picture:
        http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/66091181/in/set-515126/

        share a picture once you get your surf board moving!

        jeffy
      • Nick Dallery
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
          Nice pictures,
          I did it yesterday with all ease, my concerns are gone. The ride was
          smooth. The board never moved. Unfortunately I did not snap any
          pictures, I definetely will on my next attempt.
          On a plus side, I hung my wetsuit accross the board and thru the straps
          on the way back. It was almot dry when I got home. I found a new
          definition for the xtracle: DRYER.