Newest and proud owner

  • Nick Dallery
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2007
      I, this evening, became the latest xtracycle owner.
      With lack of proper tools and knowledge, it took me all day and finally
      some help from a bike mechanic to convert my Trek 4600 mtb into an SUB.
      For the little loads that I have carried so far (wife and kids) the
      handling is great.
      My biggest surprise was the first impression I got riding it 'empty'.
      That rear wheel being so far gave me such a feeling of safety. It felt
      as if before you could spin out so easily.
      I am really happy with it.
      I have also purchased the wide and long loader for my surfboard, but am
      not yet ready to trust it. Can anyone reassure me with that aspect.

      Thanks,
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
        If kayaks on mountain-bike trails work (see video clips at the Xtracycle
        website) then surfboards should be a piece of cake. Practice with an
        extension ladder if you want.

        I did buy a bunch of bungie blinkies to attach to anything that sticks
        out too much in one way or another.

        I find that the bulkier my load gets, the more room I get from passing
        cars.

        CL

        Nick Dallery wrote:
        > I have also purchased the wide and long loader for my surfboard, but am
        > not yet ready to trust it. Can anyone reassure me with that aspect.
      • Morgan
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
          Hi Nick,
          Welcome, and congratulations!

          Regarding the surfboard: I've strapped my whitewater kayak on the Xtra a few times, and
          it's no problem to ride with at all. On the other hand, I once strapped on my 12' Pyranha
          Speeder kayak, and that was a bit much... I was able to ride the bike around my
          neigborhood, but it was relatively unstable due to the combination of long and heavy load.
          So, now when I carry the longer boat I use the trailer.

          I've also carried an 8x10' carpet (rolled up), and that worked quite well.

          It takes a short while to get used to the extra load, but if you just take it easy it shouldn't
          be any problem at all!

          Morgan G

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Dallery" <cndallery@...> wrote:

          > I, this evening, became the latest xtracycle owner.
          > With lack of proper tools and knowledge, it took me all day and finally
          > some help from a bike mechanic to convert my Trek 4600 mtb into an SUB.
          > For the little loads that I have carried so far (wife and kids) the
          > handling is great.
          > My biggest surprise was the first impression I got riding it 'empty'.
          > That rear wheel being so far gave me such a feeling of safety. It felt
          > as if before you could spin out so easily.
          > I am really happy with it.
          > I have also purchased the wide and long loader for my surfboard, but am
          > not yet ready to trust it. Can anyone reassure me with that aspect.
          >
          > Thanks,

        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
            On Dec 30, 2007 12:55 AM, Nick Dallery

            I have also purchased the wide and long loader for my surfboard, but am
            not yet ready to trust it.  Can anyone reassure me with that aspect.

            Thanks,

            Lemme see, reassurance....on what?  weight out to one side?  Naw!  no worries!  I carried a 60 lb box with a bicycle and stuff in it out there, and then later hauled a case of beer on one side.  And I KNOW that a case of beer weighs more than a surfboard.....inexperienced as I am with surfing.  the only time I lived within walking distance of an ocean, was when I lived in Alaska as a kid and you didn't DARE get into the water up there!  But as an adult, I have lived in IOWA.   I mean really, there just isn't MUCH surfing in Iowa.  But if you are worried about weight on one side, I wouldn't.  Just throw a cooler of your favorite beverage on the other rack to balance if you arer really nervous, and head off!

            Welcome to the happy and odd bunch!  You will find a lot of strange things sitting on your bike!  Just wait until the day you find yourself halfway home from the grocery store with 6 or 8 bags of groceries and you realize that you never even CONSIDERED how to load them on, you simply chuked them in the bags and took off, no squeezing a few cans in here or a bottle in there or trying to tuck something else in a pocket or in your shirt just to wobble home.  You simply load them on like you would in any other vehicle and head home!  Or to another shop for something else if need be.

            that is the beauty of teh X in a nutshel!  It doesn't convert a bike into a drudge, it converts a bike from a "toy" into a "tool".  and while I really like toys.....i like tools better!

            mark

            Mark  Garvey
            Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

            Post message: Iowaporkchoppers@yahoogroups.com
            Subscribe: Iowaporkchoppers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          • Devian Gilbert
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
              Nick congrats:

              i have yet to loose anything off of my xtra.
              the other day i put my 4k roadbike on it.
              if that makes you feel any better
              practice loading it up.

              what i'd caution, is how much sticks off the back, if any.
              what sticks off the back, depending on how low it is, could touch the pave when you exit driveways, go off of curbs, etc.

              with the long loader, like a silly guy, i decided to put it on the "drive side" of the bike, only to realized...duhhh...uh dude...the kick stand is on the "non drive side"
              which pretty much means that to place a load on your xtracycle, its easiest to start loading on the side with the kick stand, as to allow for weight.  otherwise, once you start loading from the "drive side" of the bike, all it wants to do is topple.

              in short, i've found it easiest to load on the kick stand side first.  go ahead and use the utility of a kick stand.

              hope it helps...

              peace....d

              On Dec 29, 2007, at 10:55 PM, Nick Dallery wrote:

              I, this evening, became the latest xtracycle owner.
              With lack of proper tools and knowledge, it took me all day and finally
              some help from a bike mechanic to convert my Trek 4600 mtb into an SUB.
              For the little loads that I have carried so far (wife and kids) the
              handling is great.
              My biggest surprise was the first impression I got riding it 'empty'.
              That rear wheel being so far gave me such a feeling of safety. It felt
              as if before you could spin out so easily.
              I am really happy with it.
              I have also purchased the wide and long loader for my surfboard, but am
              not yet ready to trust it. Can anyone reassure me with that aspect.

              Thanks,

            • tda0818
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
                Congrats and welcome, Nick!

                I just want to second what Mark said. I've had my X for about 5
                weeks, now, and I've made nearly all my grocery runs on it. I never
                buy 6 or 8 bags of groceries at a time (not even in a car -- I just
                don't need that much), but I have already had the experience of being
                able to just load whatever onto the bike, and go.

                My grocery stores are between my office and home, so I often stop on
                the way home and pick up whatever I happen to be low on. One night
                last week, I rode home with the following in my FreeLoaders (nothing
                on the SnapDeck):

                1 backpack (containing office clothes & shoes, and rain pants)
                1 lunch bag
                1 Extra fleece jacket
                1 gallon of milk
                1 lb. of ground beef
                1 lb. of sliced turkey
                1 small package of chicken breasts
                2 loaves of bread
                3 boxes of energy bars
                1 family-size box of cereal
                1 large jar of peanut butter
                3 jugs of Gatorade
                8-10 assorted bungies (none used)
                some zip ties (none used), a couple garbage bags, and some bike tools

                There are some bulky, heavy items there, some soft ones you don't want
                squished, some wet ones, and some you don't want getting wet. It took
                me about a minute to load it all on the bike and adjust the straps,
                and it all got home in as good a condition as it would in the trunk of
                a car (possibly better, since the FreeLoaders hold things in place).

                It's nice to have the option of carrying my office clothes backpack on
                my back, but I've never needed to. Not once. The FreeLoaders just
                keep swallowing stuff. It's really kind of astonishing how easy and
                automatic it is to just stick everything in them -- and how quickly it
                becomes that easy and automatic.

                I've been somewhat critical of some aspects of the FL's, but that
                doesn't mean they (in conjunction with the rest of the X) aren't
                extremely useful just as they are. The X is just the coolest, most
                useful bike going. Period.

                --urbino

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
                  On Dec 30, 2007 9:35 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

                  in short, i've found it easiest to load on the kick stand side first.  go ahead and use the utility of a kick stand.

                  hope it helps...

                  peace....d

                  By the way, I would like to chime in here about UNLOADING the bike!  On one of my first few trips to the grocery store, (Well it took MORE than one which gives you an idea of how smart I really AM!) I rolled up into my driveway, parked the bike on the kickstand, and grabbed the bags from the side NEAREST me!  IE the Kickstand side.  this meant that the OTHER 4-5 bags of groceries were on the OTHER side and as soon as I turned around to take the bags inside the house, the bike crashed down on the drive side!  I am not sure, but I think I heard a sly chuckle and a faint "dork!" from the bike.  I will remind you that I did this MORE THAN ONCE.  I won't tell you how MANY times, but it wasn't 2 either!  :::sigh::: it happens!

                  Oh, that and watch the lateral clearance with the wide loaders!  I LOVE mine but occasionally i will skark the Wide loaders on a post, a tree or a curb!  I have learned to stay a bit wider than i really think I need to!  I have put on wider bars so that if the bars won't slip through a gap, I know the bike needs to be lifted over!

                  Keep it same!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007

                    On Dec 30, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Mark Garvey wrote:

                    Oh, that and watch the lateral clearance with the wide loaders!  I LOVE mine but occasionally i will skark the Wide loaders on a post, a tree or a curb!  I have learned to stay a bit wider than i really think I need to!  I have put on wider bars so that if the bars won't slip through a gap, I know the bike needs to be lifted over!

                    ditto on wide loaders.
                    often times suddenly you cannot lane split, or ride down the shoulder of all the cars in traffic.
                    so be mindful of the bikes girth

                    d-
                  • Nick Dallery
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 30, 2007
                      Thank you for all of your responses.
                      I guess my biggest worry about carrying a surfboard is not the load or
                      weight in itself but more of the shape. I guess I have not yet found a
                      proper way to strap the board efficiently on. It seems that it would
                      slide out easily.
                      I shouldn't be that worried because for about 15 years now I have
                      strapped boards on roof racks and have never lost one or come close.
                      I'll probably outfit the wideloader with insulation foam and give it a
                      try this week.
                      I have today, successfully hooked the kids trailer and carried them in
                      it. the real challenge will be carrying the board and the trailer
                      because the board will probably stick out of the back.

                      nick
                    • Juergen Weichert
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                        I have carried a 20" extension ladder, collapsed to 10'. It stuck out
                        the back and out the front - I mounted it so that the balance point of
                        the ladder was centred on the middle of the wide loader. Handling was
                        great and I was able to ride through (short sections of) busy traffic.
                        Long Loaders help, or use some other way to offset the load at an angle
                        so that your pedal area is clear. I also used a bright warning flag at
                        the back end of the ladder. Just watch your clearance on turns as the
                        load sticks out a bit - give yourself more margin all around.
                        Juergen

                        Nick Dallery wrote:

                        > Thank you for all of your responses.
                        > I guess my biggest worry about carrying a surfboard is not the load or
                        > weight in itself but more of the shape. I guess I have not yet found a
                        > proper way to strap the board efficiently on. It seems that it would
                        > slide out easily.
                        > I shouldn't be that worried because for about 15 years now I have
                        > strapped boards on roof racks and have never lost one or come close.
                        > I'll probably outfit the wideloader with insulation foam and give it a
                        > try this week.
                        > I have today, successfully hooked the kids trailer and carried them in
                        > it. the real challenge will be carrying the board and the trailer
                        > because the board will probably stick out of the back.
                        >
                        > nick

                      • Jeff Youngstrom
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                          On Jan 1, 2008 6:47 AM, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:
                          > I have carried a 20" extension ladder, collapsed to 10'. It stuck out
                          > the back and out the front - I mounted it so that the balance point of
                          > the ladder was centred on the middle of the wide loader. Handling was
                          > great and I was able to ride through (short sections of) busy traffic.

                          I've carried an extension ladder too with similar ease to what Juergen
                          reports. Even snapped a picture:
                          http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/66091181/in/set-515126/

                          share a picture once you get your surf board moving!

                          jeffy
                        • Nick Dallery
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
                            Nice pictures,
                            I did it yesterday with all ease, my concerns are gone. The ride was
                            smooth. The board never moved. Unfortunately I did not snap any
                            pictures, I definetely will on my next attempt.
                            On a plus side, I hung my wetsuit accross the board and thru the straps
                            on the way back. It was almot dry when I got home. I found a new
                            definition for the xtracle: DRYER.