RE: [rootsradicals] new to group and don't yet have an Xtracycle, but hope to relatively soon.

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 29, 2007

      Devian,

                  I am not sure what carbon wheel brand you used and disliked. That company named Spin, which is what my first carbon wheel set was from, has been out of business for a number of years now. There are not too many carbon wheel makers out there. If you were not talking about Spin were you talking about Areo?

                  On Aerospoke wheels the carbon spokes are “fused” with the metal rim, so once an Aerospoke’s rim is shot so is the major carbon fiber part of the wheel. However, you are pretty much correct about an Aerospoke’s hub. Removal or replacement of an Aerospoke hub is a bit more involved than just pressing into the carbon “spokes”, but you are fairly accurate. I believe the procedure just requires a special hand tool, which Aerospoke sells.

                  In fact I have actually had to replace my rear hub once or twice. I am not sure if it was twice because I forget if one time I just replaced my rear gear cassette or also had the rear hub replaced. Anyway, when messengering in winter apparently rain, grit, and road salt seeped into the internal freewheel mechanism. Eventually when it got extremely cold the moisture froze and that made the parts inside act up, which in turn wore things down inside. For a while I just thought my long chain was stretching, some crap was on my gears, or my gears themselves were wearing down because it simply felt like chain skipping. Unfortunately I discovered the problem was in the hub too late and the whole time I happened to be wearing things down even more.

                  Fortunately my bike shop was able to extract the worn hub and it was sent back to Aerospoke, where they replaced or repaired the hub then sent it back. If I remember correctly, hub replacement is either free as part of their warranty or relatively inexpensive, but I do believe the user pays at least part of the shipping costs.

                  I hope that helps you a bit. Ride safe,