Compatability

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 4:43 PM
      I'm back with more questions after mulling things over a bit.

      Here is a link to a photo of a Specialized Ground Control model bike from 1996 (found the
      image on Google). I own a similar model, made a bit later, with similar suspension. Can
      anyone tell me if I can put a FreeRadical on this successfully/safely? Thanks!

      http://home.bak.rr.com/decat/stable.htg/sgc.jpg

      -Phil
    • Matt McKinney
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 5:19 PM
        i've heard that suspension bikes are a no go with xtracycles due to the longer wheelbase. turning a corner on suspension with an xtracycle means you stand a good chance of slamming a pedal into the ground ... but that's just what one fairly knowledgeable guy told me. another thing to consider is that the longer wheelbase of a bike + free radical means you have a bit softer ride anyway.

        Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:
        I'm back with more questions after mulling things over a bit.

        Here is a link to a photo of a Specialized Ground Control model bike from 1996 (found the
        image on Google). I own a similar model, made a bit later, with similar suspension. Can
        anyone tell me if I can put a FreeRadical on this successfully/safely? Thanks!

        http://home.bak.rr.com/decat/stable.htg/sgc.jpg

        -Phil

      • James Francis DeVoge, III
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5 5:13 AM
          My experience on this, from trying to use a Specialized frame when I
          received my FreeRad, is that the length of the chainstay was not
          enough. I had a 2004 Allez Triple (700c), and ended up buying a Surly
          frame because the compact frame geometry on the Allez made the
          chainstays too short. With the Surly, my pedals still scrape on turns
          sometimes due I guess to long cranks and wheelbase, but with attentive
          riding this happens less and less. I am not sure that suspension would
          work either, as Matt said. An added bonus, the steel of the Surly
          frame, as well as the long wheelbase, makes for a _sweet_ and
          comfortable ride.

          Good luck!
          Jeff