The X Downunder

  • ross@xtracycle.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2001
      G'day roots,

      So i've been travelling with my SUB and of course enjoying. Australia is an ideal place for sure-- flat, good weather, wide roads, small towns and the ever-present need to have one's surfboard on hand. As I ride down the beach a not-uncommon comment to overhear is, "now that's the way to carry a surfboard." I'm sure many of you have heard similar things.

      However, I feel the need to report on a use less explored in most of our day-to-day riding-- and yet one that is fast becoming, in my mind, a real winner. This little sleeper is the transport of hitch-hikers. While inside circles have reported on how disarmed potential riders were by the sight of a bicycle, I feel that a recent experience here has rightfully consecrated the activity.

      While riding home the other night I saw a girl walking along the road, and though she didn't have her thumb up, it was clear that she needed a ride. I quickly determined that, if she were adventurous, she would be able to sit comfortably-- even though I had a large box of groceries and my backpack already loaded up. So I slowed down and asked. I must say, she seemed to saddle up with glee. But here is the best part. As we were riding, she learned that I was from California and told me about her recent adventures in the USA. Turns out she hitched across the whole of the US last year, LA to NYC. I also learned that hitching is her preferred mode of transport. As I dropped her off at her house she confessed that "that was the best hitch i've ever had." Now wouldn't you agree that she has the adequate credentials to sumarily place the X at the top of the hitching foodchain?

      So get out there and saddle up with a new friend!

      yours in sport-joy-utility cycling,
      ross

      E-mail@... is brought to you by
      the Stanford Alumni Association and Critical Path.