Re: 7/8 outer diameter aluminum tubing

  • Joe Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2006
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
      > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
      > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
      >
      > Anything less expensive?
      >
      > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
      > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
      >
      > -Rick
      > Madison, WI

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      Rick,

      I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
      outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
      eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
      and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
      You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
      as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
      but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
      0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
      cranking on it, but it works
      Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
      tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
      bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
      bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
      plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
      one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
      over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
      enough to bring the aluminum taut.
      I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
      into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
      two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
      length.
      Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

      Cheers,

      Joe
    • Rick White
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2006
        Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
        bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
        long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
        side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
        horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
        copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
        heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
        flat black paint.

        I'll post pictures in a few days.

        -Rick

        http://mail.yahoo.com