car-free vacation tips

  • Kipchoge Spencer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2006
      We're going to have a contest pretty soon where people send in their plans for a car-free or car-light vacation. As part of the contest, we'll also have a Web page with tips on car-free/light vacations. I'd love to share some ideas from the roots community, so please email any tips/ideas you have about car-free/light vacationing.

      --
      Kipchoge Spencer

      29085 Highway 49
      North San Juan CA 95960
      530/292-1401
      www.pleasantrevolution.net
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2006
        The obvious car-free vacation is a bike tour ;-) Some of them are
        even heavy on the vacation and light on the cycling.

        I, too, wish I could hypnotize the legions of people who are simply
        sure that they are physiologically or psychologically incapable of
        using a bicycle for transportation. I'm 45.... but don't look it....
        because, I suspect, of that bicycling habit. People assume I was never
        a common automotive couch potato; I must be especially devoted, or
        something. (There's a *great* thread on the teamestrogen forum about
        fat ladies bicycling ... all about how much it doesn't matter how fast
        you're going; what's far more important is *you're* in charge of the
        journey.

        I remember that other "fuel crisis" in the 70's. I don't remember a
        lot of the media coverage of it. However, I don't remember the blithe
        acceptance that all paths towards easing dependence on oil assumed
        utter dependence on automobiles.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Kipchoge Spencer"

      • TheJonesgal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2006