Re: [rootsradicals] ARGH!

  • Forrest Halford
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
      On Tue, 04 Dec 2007, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote...
      "Oh honey, if I had the debt that went with that thing, I'd be a
      little stressed too... bless your heart"

      you can quote me on that one.

      Woo

      >Morgan wrote:
      >> I need to vent.
      >> Sometimes drivers can be soooo stupid.
      >>
      >> I sure could have used a witty quip. Any ideas? It will probably
      make me feel better!

      .......__o ....O
      .......\<, .....\-/\-
      ....( )/ ( ) ....(O)^(O)
    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
        Most excellent, that did make me smile!

        Morgan

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest Halford" <fdh@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote...
        > "Oh honey, if I had the debt that went with that thing, I'd be a
        > little stressed too... bless your heart"
        >
        > you can quote me on that one.
        >
        > Woo

      • akyramoto
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
          I get the 'GET OFF THE ROAD' thing alot where I ride. I usually try to
          respond with 'HAVE A GREAT DAY!!' with a big smile. kill 'em with
          kindness. lol.

          I've noticed that some people completely loose brain function when
          they see a cyclist. On the way to REI my boyfriend & I were going
          over an overpass, one that had an off ramp for the freeway. since we
          were going about 8mph up this thing we motioned to a car that was
          getting on the road - to pass us, so that we could cross that lane &
          get into the 'new' bike lane after the on ramp. The guy looks at us,
          we motioned some more 'come on!! gooooo' then he completely stops! and
          waits for us to pass. guess its better than getting merged into, but
          people seem to forget how to think & drive around bicycles. Almost
          like we're crazed people & we might dash out into traffic at any
          moment!! I dunno. crazy stuff.
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@...> wrote:

          > Most excellent, that did make me smile!
          >
          > Morgan
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest Halford" <fdh@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote...
          > > "Oh honey, if I had the debt that went with that thing, I'd be a
          > > little stressed too... bless your heart"
          > >
          > > you can quote me on that one.
          > >
          > > Woo

        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
            once a girlfriend pointed out that guys in cars often , stop, to let the girls walk by
            so they can check them out.
            On Dec 4, 2007, at 12:46 PM, akyramoto wrote:

            I get the 'GET OFF THE ROAD' thing alot where I ride. I usually try to
            respond with 'HAVE A GREAT DAY!!' with a big smile. kill 'em with
            kindness. lol.

            I've noticed that some people completely loose brain function when
            they see a cyclist. On the way to REI my boyfriend & I were going
            over an overpass, one that had an off ramp for the freeway. since we
            were going about 8mph up this thing we motioned to a car that was
            getting on the road - to pass us, so that we could cross that lane &
            get into the 'new' bike lane after the on ramp. The guy looks at us,
            we motioned some more 'come on!! gooooo' then he completely stops! and
            waits for us to pass. guess its better than getting merged into, but
            people seem to forget how to think & drive around bicycles. Almost
            like we're crazed people & we might dash out into traffic at any
            moment!! I dunno. crazy stuff.
            --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@... > wrote:

            > Most excellent, that did make me smile!
            >
            > Morgan
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Forrest Halford" <fdh@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote...
            > > "Oh honey, if I had the debt that went with that thing, I'd be a
            > > little stressed too... bless your heart"
            > >
            > > you can quote me on that one.
            > >
            > > Woo

          • Mighk Wilson
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
              >>I get the 'GET OFF THE ROAD' thing alot where I ride. I usually try to
              respond with 'HAVE A GREAT DAY!!' with a big smile. kill 'em with
              kindness. lol.<<

              My new response to that is, "enjoy your next fill up!"

              Mighk
            • tda0818
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
                I usually go with, "Dickless yuppie!" on such occasions, Morgan. YMMV.

                --urbino

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
                  I saw a sign at a Mobil station driving home today (snow tires
                  not on the bike yet), along the lines of "Start saving gas now ..."
                  and thoughts of petty larceny danced through my head.

                  But I didn't do it, of course. :-)

                  David

                  On 2007-12-04, at 4:54 PM, Mighk Wilson wrote:
                  > >>I get the 'GET OFF THE ROAD' thing alot where I ride. I usually
                  > try to
                  > respond with 'HAVE A GREAT DAY!!' with a big smile. kill 'em with
                  > kindness. lol.<<
                  >
                  > My new response to that is, "enjoy your next fill up!"
                  >
                  > Mighk

                • Devian Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 4, 2007
                    LOL!
                    i like that one!

                    my bro in LA once had a huge pile of stickers
                    "100% BEEF"
                    so they use to just have them quick at the ready
                    like in the holster for your cell phone
                    so they'd just slap it on the rear of the car.
                    crazy messenger style...

                    laffs.....d
                    On Dec 4, 2007, at 4:13 PM, tda0818 wrote:

                    I usually go with, "Dickless yuppie!" on such occasions, Morgan. YMMV.

                    --urbino

                    --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@... > wrote:

                    > I need to vent.
                    > Sometimes drivers can be soooo stupid.
                    >
                    > I'm coming up the road, and this guy in a Lexus (faux rich person
                    car) pulls right out in
                    > front of me, while looking straight at me. I slam on brakes. Then
                    he proceeds to go 5mph
                    > down the road in front of me, looking for a parking spot. So I pass
                    him and give him a
                    > "look" (a "you stupid moron" look). No gestures or anything, just a
                    look. He honks at me!

                    > Now this was a wimpy guy in a lexus, and having been almost run over
                    by such a guy just
                    > 3 days ago, I decided to say something. So I stop, "What did you
                    honk at me for?"

                    > "Because you gestured at me"
                    >
                    > "No I didn't" I say
                    >
                    > "Then go away and don't talk to me"
                    >
                    > Then he tried to dismiss me, repeatedly saying "go away," as a king
                    would dismiss a lowly
                    > servant. Of course, he seemed a little scared, too. And no less
                    by a female (of course, a
                    > 6' tall one who is pretty fit and not intimidated by much!)
                    >
                    > Of course he assumed that because he was in a Lexus and I was on a
                    bike, that he was
                    > superior to me and could tell me what to do. I told him he was an
                    idiot, and then decided
                    > to leave well enough alone, and went on my way.
                    >
                    > I sure could have used a witty quip. Any ideas? It will probably
                    make me feel better!

                    > Who was it that mentioned the other day how stupid drivers are this
                    time of year? It is
                    > really true - I don't know what's causing it, but there's been a
                    sudden rash of drivers
                    > joining the stupid train lately.
                    >
                    > Morgan G

                  • Morgan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2007
                      I like the "kill em with kindness" credo, except sometimes I am just not capable after
                      someone has done something so stupid. I am working on it.....

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mighk Wilson" <mwilson@...> wrote:

                      > >>I get the 'GET OFF THE ROAD' thing alot where I ride. I usually try to
                      > respond with 'HAVE A GREAT DAY!!' with a big smile. kill 'em with
                      > kindness. lol.<<
                      >
                      > My new response to that is, "enjoy your next fill up!"
                      >
                      > Mighk

                    • Morgan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2007
                        Yes, I used to think all cyclists should carry a paintball gun (with permanent paint), with
                        the ability to shoot a particular color for different types of bad drivers. We could have red
                        for clueless drivers, brown for aggressive drivers, blue for cell phone drivers, etc. Once a
                        car got "marked" by its driver doing something stupid, that would warn other bikers that
                        this person was a menace. And for those drivers doing lots of stupid things, they would
                        end up with a car covered in multi-color paint.

                        Not that I'm suggesting this in real life.... I'm sure it has many illegal aspects. But it sure
                        would be fun!

                        Morgan

                        ps - "dickless yuppie" would have driven this guy crazy, I will have to keep it in mind next
                        time!

                        > On Dec 4, 2007, at 4:13 PM, tda0818 wrote:
                        >
                        > > I usually go with, "Dickless yuppie!" on such occasions, Morgan. YMMV.
                        > >
                        > > --urbino
                      • a_henrichs
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2007
                          When you hear "Get off the road!" you could always reply with a
                          confusing (to the motorist) "Thanks! You too!"

                          Andy

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:

                          > I get the 'GET OFF THE ROAD' thing alot where I ride. I usually try to
                          > respond with 'HAVE A GREAT DAY!!' with a big smile. kill 'em with
                          > kindness. lol.
                        • Cara Lin Bridgman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 5, 2007
                            That's great! It also expresses my sentiment most of the time--all
                            these cars are in my way!

                            Fortunately for my blood pressure and hostility levels, I almost never
                            get yelled at here in Taiwan. It's usually construction workers
                            hollaring 'Hello!'--and that's not something to complain about.

                            I can see that "Thanks! You, too!" working in many other situations, too.

                            '@*#& you!"
                            'Thanks! You, too!'

                            'Your mamma'
                            'Thanks! Yours, too!'

                            Just spreading sweetness and light...

                            CL

                            a_henrichs wrote:
                            > When you hear "Get off the road!" you could always reply with a
                            > confusing (to the motorist) "Thanks! You too!"
                            >
                            > Andy
                            >
                            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:
                            >> I get the 'GET OFF THE ROAD' thing alot where I ride. I usually try to
                            >> respond with 'HAVE A GREAT DAY!!' with a big smile. kill 'em with
                            >> kindness. lol.
                          • Susan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 11, 2007
                              I can just see and hear you sayin' this one :D :P
                              (Practicing it with the proper Kentucky accent, tho' it'll be missing
                              a *little* something...)

                            • caralinb@ms68.hinet.net
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
                                Hi Susan,

                                That great response wasn't mine, but Woo's!

                                My KY accent needs some real work. I'm one of the no-accent internationals, with some CA, IN, TN, and 'Chinese' leaking through enough to confuse people about where I'm from.

                                CL
                                currently in San Diego for a bug conference, but based in Taiwan