Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Synchronicity

  • TheJonesgal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2006
      Wow! I get a kick out of reading all the emails on here. The rest of you are way more experienced and knowledgeable about bikes and biking. I'm learning!
      And reading you can go 20 - 45 mph! And the miles you ride!

      I ride a Raleigh 7 speed (girl-bike) with an xtracycle attachment. I commute about 3 miles each way to work! Twice a week, I carry my guitar (which is why I bought the xtracycle)
      I don't have a speedometer on the bike, but it takes me about 25 minutes to do those 3 miles!

      I think people like me are who we need to be "recruiting" to the idea of biking and xtracycling. I'm 50 years old and have been xtracycling for about a year and a half now. I bike to work and also to do some shopping. I live across the street from 3 grocery stores, so I do that shopping mainly on foot.

      If we could get the "old" ladies like me out of cars, wouldn't it be great?

      Gerry

    • Matt McKinney
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2006
        i love your email. i love the idea that someone, somewhere gets it. and 45 m.p.h. +? i'm an xtracycler and bike commuter (a dozen uprights hang in my garage and each morning is a lovely session of picking out  the ride for the day) but no fairinged wheels in my garage. yet.

        iam me <budhaboy@...> wrote:
        What I can't figure out is;  how any self proclaimed intelligent being
        would even drive one of those death boxes....  You should be ashamed,
        or at least sheepishly embarrassed... ;^)

        Seriously though,  I stopped driving almost nine years ago.  I own two
        recumbent bicycles,  a standard upright and my xteracycle....

        For relatively short jaunts, (twenty miles or less), I tend to enjoy
        my upright.  Curb hopping,  wheelie popping and a lifetime of
        familiarity makes this a standard in any truly sapien hominid home.

        Commuting and one or two day long distance runs,  (fifty plus miles a
        day),  I consistently choose a recumbent.  My Burly full suspension is
        comfortable at consistent speeds of fifteen to twenty five MPH,  and
        my fairinged Easy Racer eats up the miles cruising at 45+ MPH

        But invariably I find myself tooling around on my xtracycle.  I can't
        imagine dragging one or two extra wheels just to fetch food from the
        farmers market.  Two bottles of wine with a pound of asparagus,  ten
        pounds of brown rice, five pounds of oranges, bread, beagles, some
        cereal and my lovely mate all brought three miles home.

        How did humans survive before this lemming like psychosis of cars cars
        everywhere????

        It's a pity that few people outside of the xtraycycle realm are
        speaking up for our great grand children.... I mean,  heck,  I can
        hardly go anywhere without my eyes watering and my lungs burning from
        the putrid stench of auto exhaust.

        So,  I answer to your query;  Yes,  you can comfortably and easily
        become emancipated from the short sighted and self destructive
        delusion that you can't live without a car.....

        Free your mind,  and your ass will follow.   ;^D

        hth

        Enjoy

        Peace

        iam me

        serlacausa.org

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "enaidiam" <diane@...> wrote:

        > Hi all -- I just joined this group the other day. I'm in Silicon
        Valley and I am so tired of the