Rear Wheel Drags on Snapdeck Under Load

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
      When carrying a passenger sometimes, The rear wheel will drag on the
      top of the snapdeck. It has created a nice little wear groove on the
      underside of the snapdeck, but I'm really worried that the tires are
      taking a large amount of wear from this.

      If I do decide to mount studded tires for the winter, I'll have the
      problem that pieces of metal will be dragging into the snapdeck and
      causing lots of fun problems.

      I am kind of wondering if there's any way to raise the snapdeck up by
      a little bit? I figure if I do that, I can help extend the life of my
      rear tire at least a little more.

      I am using 700c tires, dual mode brake levers for compatibility with
      the xtracycle.

      Thanks!

      Tonight: First night riding in ice conditions. I don't have studded
      tires yet, but I find my tire makes a nice dragging sound on the back
      wheel because of ice and show debris dragging against salt from the road.
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
        possibly maybe, perhaps...
        some pvc pipe cut into say....10mm sections
        small pipe
        remove the Freeloader rack out of the Freeradical
        then drop 4 of those 10mm sized pvc "rings" into the Freeradical frame
        you know...
        where the Freeloader frame inserts.

        my 2cents

        peace...d

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
          On 2007-12-03, at 1:04 AM, Steve wrote:
          > If I do decide to mount studded tires for the winter, I'll have the
          > problem that pieces of metal will be dragging into the snapdeck and
          > causing lots of fun problems.
          >
          > I am kind of wondering if there's any way to raise the snapdeck up by
          > a little bit? I figure if I do that, I can help extend the life of my
          > rear tire at least a little more.

          With studded tires, there is no issue of tire wear at all; they will
          quickly carve a little groove in your snapdeck.
          It hasn't gone all the way through mine yet, but it is an issue, and
          I recommend finding some way to boost
          the freeloaders up a quarter inch or so. This has come up before.

          David
        • akyramoto
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
            My roomate had the same problems. she has the 700c free rad kit -
            which comes with little plastic 'risers' that go into the bottom of
            your v racks - it raises the v racks & snapdeck about an inch or so.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <silivrenion@...> wrote:

            > When carrying a passenger sometimes, The rear wheel will drag on the
            > top of the snapdeck. It has created a nice little wear groove on the
            > underside of the snapdeck, but I'm really worried that the tires are
            > taking a large amount of wear from this.
            >
            > If I do decide to mount studded tires for the winter, I'll have the
            > problem that pieces of metal will be dragging into the snapdeck and
            > causing lots of fun problems.
            >
            > I am kind of wondering if there's any way to raise the snapdeck up by
            > a little bit? I figure if I do that, I can help extend the life of my
            > rear tire at least a little more.
            >
            > I am using 700c tires, dual mode brake levers for compatibility with
            > the xtracycle.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Tonight: First night riding in ice conditions. I don't have studded
            > tires yet, but I find my tire makes a nice dragging sound on the back
            > wheel because of ice and show debris dragging against salt from the
            road.

          • Chris Follmer
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
              I had run into this issue awhile back because I wanted a fender. What I did was went to the hardware store and bought some nuts that were just a little smaller than the holes in the free radical frame. I put some duct tape around them so they wouldn't rattle and set them in each hole. The nuts I used were 1/2" tall so the snap deck went up that high and I got my fender on.
              Chris

              On 2007-12-03, at 1:04 AM, Steve wrote:
              > If I do decide to mount studded tires for the winter, I'll have the
              > problem that pieces of metal will be dragging into the snapdeck and
              > causing lots of fun problems.
              >
              > I am kind of wondering if there's any way to raise the snapdeck up by
              > a little bit? I figure if I do that, I can help extend the life of my
              > rear tire at least a little more.

              With studded tires, there is no issue of tire wear at all; they will
              quickly carve a little groove in your snapdeck.
              It hasn't gone all the way through mine yet, but it is an issue, and
              I recommend finding some way to boost
              the freeloaders up a quarter inch or so. This has come up before.

              David

              Success isn't defined by the things you have.
              It's defined by the things you don't need