Minor snapdeck problem solved

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
      position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
      some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
      strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
      snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
      and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

      That is all.

      David
    • akyramoto
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
        I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
        border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
        puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.

        I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
        tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).

        the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
        bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
        over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
        back of the X.

        it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
        future for the dogs.

        http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg

        http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
        wrote:

        > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
        > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
        happen.

        > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
        > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
        > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
        >
        > Devian Gilbert wrote:
        > >
        > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
        > >
        > > that is, you pedal
        > > go up hill
        > > dog jumps out, runs along side
        > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
        > >
        > > I've only seen it once
        > > a guy touring thru Monterey
        > > i was impressed
        > >
        > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
        > >
        > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
        on tour
        > > leave LA and see something
        > > breath fresh air, etc
        > >
        > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
        > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
        > > bicycle
        > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
        > >
        > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
        > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
        > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
        > >
        > > peace...d
        > >
        > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
        > >

        > >> Devian,
        > >>
        > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
        > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
        > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
        > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
        > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
        > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
        > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
        bike
        > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
        > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
        > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
        > >> drive-side.
        > >>
        > >> _/TONE/_
        > >>

        > --
        > Anne Littlebird
        > Issumatuq Herbals
        > P.O. Box 5161
        > Louisville, KY 40255
        > 502-418-1023

      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
          i like the bikes at work trailer

          wrote:

          > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
          > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
          happen.

          > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
          > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
          > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
          >
          > Devian Gilbert wrote:
          > >
          > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
          > >
          > > that is, you pedal
          > > go up hill
          > > dog jumps out, runs along side
          > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
          > >
          > > I've only seen it once
          > > a guy touring thru Monterey
          > > i was impressed
          > >
          > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
          > >
          > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
          on tour
          > > leave LA and see something
          > > breath fresh air, etc
          > >
          > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
          > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
          > > bicycle
          > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
          > >
          > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
          > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
          > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
          > >
          > > peace...d
          > >
          > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
          > >

          > >> Devian,
          > >>
          > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
          > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
          > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
          > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
          > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
          > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
          > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
          bike
          > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
          > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
          > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
          > >> drive-side.
          > >>
          > >> _/TONE/_
          > >>

          > --
          > Anne Littlebird
          > Issumatuq Herbals
          > P.O. Box 5161
          > Louisville, KY 40255
          > 502-418-1023

        • murray
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
            I haul my dog in a custom made box which is the same size as the
            wideloader. Maybe it's just my dog but she doesn't move around much at
            all. If your going to carry a dog on a bike I recommend a small breed.
            My girl is a fox terrier / basenji cross and only weighs about 7.5kg
            which happens to balance with my camping gear just nicely. She can't
            jump into the box easily which was a good thing when I was training
            her. She can jump out if she 'really' wants to but the high sides make
            it difficult for her... but she is happy to sit and wait in there
            while I shop etc.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/425711459/in/set-72157600058035927/

            On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

            > i like the bikes at work trailer
            >

            > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
            >

            > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
            > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
            > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
            >
            > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
            > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
            >
            > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
            > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
            > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
            > back of the X.
            >
            > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
            > future for the dogs.
            >
            > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg
            >
            > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
            > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
            > happen.
            > >
            > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
            > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
            > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
            > >
            > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
            > > >
            > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
            > > >
            > > > that is, you pedal
            > > > go up hill
            > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
            > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
            > > >
            > > > I've only seen it once
            > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
            > > > i was impressed
            > > >
            > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
            > > >
            > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
            > on tour
            > > > leave LA and see something
            > > > breath fresh air, etc
            > > >
            > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
            > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
            > > > bicycle
            > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
            > > >
            > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
            > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
            > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
            > > >
            > > > peace...d

            > bike

            > > --
            > > Anne Littlebird
            > > Issumatuq Herbals
            > > P.O. Box 5161
            > > Louisville, KY 40255
            > > 502-418-1023

          • tda0818
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
              You sound like a good brother, Devian.

              --urbino

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
              wrote:

              > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
              > tour
              > leave LA and see something
              > breath fresh air, etc
              >
              > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
              > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
              > bicycle
              > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
              >
              > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
              > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
              > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
              >
              > peace...d

            • Devian Gilbert
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                awesome!
                that is exactly what i had in my head
                probably some kind of stray photo-memory synaptic loop thought goin round and round in my noodle
                and wow!
                of course...just use coroplast
                i use to use coroplast for R/C Glider stuff
                i could go all out on it
                make a nice box like that, and line it with carpet or something

                my brother's dog, Ranger, i think is about 30lbs
                i think i can make this work

                as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it was stated in the Jenson USA website
                i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                i simply want to build up a new rig

                perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                once the BD is done.

                On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@ mac.com> wrote:

                > i like the bikes at work trailer
                >

                > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
                >

                > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
                > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
                > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
                >
                > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
                > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
                >
                > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
                > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
                > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
                > back of the X.
                >
                > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
                > future for the dogs.
                >
                > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2080907503_ 1b92b93933. jpg
                >
                > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2081693100_ 1421cccefa. jpg
                > --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@. ..>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                > happen.
                > >
                > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                > >
                > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                > > >
                > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                > > >
                > > > that is, you pedal
                > > > go up hill
                > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                > > >
                > > > I've only seen it once
                > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                > > > i was impressed
                > > >
                > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                > > >
                > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                > on tour
                > > > leave LA and see something
                > > > breath fresh air, etc
                > > >
                > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                > > > bicycle
                > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                > > >
                > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                > > >
                > > > peace...d

                > bike

                > > --
                > > Anne Littlebird
                > > Issumatuq Herbals
                > > P.O. Box 5161
                > > Louisville, KY 40255
                > > 502-418-1023

              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                  good brother or not
                  its up to the individual to use the resources
                  i can only simply provide a bike
                  its just a bike
                  but we all know...
                  its often times the simple things in life that count

                  someone once referred to me as "A Fat Tire Evangelist."
                  lol
                  i still get laffs from that
                  but i guess its pretty much true

                  peace...d
                  www.AsanaCycles.com

                  wrote:

                  > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
                  > tour
                  > leave LA and see something
                  > breath fresh air, etc
                  >
                  > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                  > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                  > bicycle
                  > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                  >
                  > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                  > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                  > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                  >
                  > peace...d

                • Jeff Youngstrom
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                    On Dec 1, 2007 8:55 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                    > Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
                    > position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
                    > some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
                    > strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
                    > snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
                    > and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

                    I was having a similar problem and solved it by positioning the deck
                    with the clips overlapping the freeloader where it wraps around the
                    v-racks. No motion since and it doesn't seem to be doing the
                    freeloaders any harm. Your tape solution would give more flexibility
                    of where to stick the deck, though. Nice.

                    jeffy
                  • crazylven
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                      > as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                      > this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it
                      > was stated in the Jenson USA website
                      > i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                      > i simply want to build up a new rig
                      >
                      > perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                      > or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                      > once the BD is done.

                      Devian,
                      I  just looked at these pics the other day on Flickr
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1553138531
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1554004404
                      There is your green - I like it too.

                      -Crazy