Minor snapdeck problem solved

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
      position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
      some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
      strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
      snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
      and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

      That is all.

      David
    • Anne Littlebird
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
        Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
        but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to happen.

        Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
        tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
        difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!

        --
        Anne Littlebird
        Issumatuq Herbals
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
          I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
          border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
          puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.

          I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
          tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).

          the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
          bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
          over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
          back of the X.

          it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
          future for the dogs.

          http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg

          http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
          wrote:

          > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
          > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
          happen.

          > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
          > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
          > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
          >
          > Devian Gilbert wrote:
          > >
          > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
          > >
          > > that is, you pedal
          > > go up hill
          > > dog jumps out, runs along side
          > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
          > >
          > > I've only seen it once
          > > a guy touring thru Monterey
          > > i was impressed
          > >
          > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
          > >
          > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
          on tour
          > > leave LA and see something
          > > breath fresh air, etc
          > >
          > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
          > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
          > > bicycle
          > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
          > >
          > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
          > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
          > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
          > >
          > > peace...d
          > >
          > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
          > >

          > >> Devian,
          > >>
          > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
          > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
          > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
          > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
          > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
          > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
          > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
          bike
          > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
          > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
          > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
          > >> drive-side.
          > >>
          > >> _/TONE/_
          > >>

          > --
          > Anne Littlebird
          > Issumatuq Herbals
          > P.O. Box 5161
          > Louisville, KY 40255
          > 502-418-1023

        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
            i like the bikes at work trailer

            wrote:

            > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
            > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
            happen.

            > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
            > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
            > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
            >
            > Devian Gilbert wrote:
            > >
            > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
            > >
            > > that is, you pedal
            > > go up hill
            > > dog jumps out, runs along side
            > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
            > >
            > > I've only seen it once
            > > a guy touring thru Monterey
            > > i was impressed
            > >
            > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
            > >
            > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
            on tour
            > > leave LA and see something
            > > breath fresh air, etc
            > >
            > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
            > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
            > > bicycle
            > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
            > >
            > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
            > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
            > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
            > >
            > > peace...d
            > >
            > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
            > >

            > >> Devian,
            > >>
            > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
            > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
            > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
            > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
            > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
            > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
            > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
            bike
            > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
            > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
            > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
            > >> drive-side.
            > >>
            > >> _/TONE/_
            > >>

            > --
            > Anne Littlebird
            > Issumatuq Herbals
            > P.O. Box 5161
            > Louisville, KY 40255
            > 502-418-1023

          • murray
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
              I haul my dog in a custom made box which is the same size as the
              wideloader. Maybe it's just my dog but she doesn't move around much at
              all. If your going to carry a dog on a bike I recommend a small breed.
              My girl is a fox terrier / basenji cross and only weighs about 7.5kg
              which happens to balance with my camping gear just nicely. She can't
              jump into the box easily which was a good thing when I was training
              her. She can jump out if she 'really' wants to but the high sides make
              it difficult for her... but she is happy to sit and wait in there
              while I shop etc.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/425711459/in/set-72157600058035927/

              On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

              > i like the bikes at work trailer
              >

              > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
              >

              > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
              > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
              > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
              >
              > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
              > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
              >
              > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
              > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
              > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
              > back of the X.
              >
              > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
              > future for the dogs.
              >
              > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg
              >
              > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
              > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
              > happen.
              > >
              > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
              > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
              > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
              > >
              > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
              > > >
              > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
              > > >
              > > > that is, you pedal
              > > > go up hill
              > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
              > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
              > > >
              > > > I've only seen it once
              > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
              > > > i was impressed
              > > >
              > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
              > > >
              > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
              > on tour
              > > > leave LA and see something
              > > > breath fresh air, etc
              > > >
              > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
              > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
              > > > bicycle
              > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
              > > >
              > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
              > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
              > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
              > > >
              > > > peace...d

              > bike

              > > --
              > > Anne Littlebird
              > > Issumatuq Herbals
              > > P.O. Box 5161
              > > Louisville, KY 40255
              > > 502-418-1023

            • tda0818
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                You sound like a good brother, Devian.

                --urbino

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
                wrote:

                > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
                > tour
                > leave LA and see something
                > breath fresh air, etc
                >
                > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                > bicycle
                > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                >
                > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                >
                > peace...d

              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                  awesome!
                  that is exactly what i had in my head
                  probably some kind of stray photo-memory synaptic loop thought goin round and round in my noodle
                  and wow!
                  of course...just use coroplast
                  i use to use coroplast for R/C Glider stuff
                  i could go all out on it
                  make a nice box like that, and line it with carpet or something

                  my brother's dog, Ranger, i think is about 30lbs
                  i think i can make this work

                  as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                  this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it was stated in the Jenson USA website
                  i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                  i simply want to build up a new rig

                  perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                  or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                  once the BD is done.

                  On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@ mac.com> wrote:

                  > i like the bikes at work trailer
                  >

                  > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
                  >

                  > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
                  > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
                  > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
                  >
                  > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
                  > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
                  >
                  > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
                  > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
                  > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
                  > back of the X.
                  >
                  > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
                  > future for the dogs.
                  >
                  > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2080907503_ 1b92b93933. jpg
                  >
                  > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2081693100_ 1421cccefa. jpg
                  > --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@. ..>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                  > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                  > happen.
                  > >
                  > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                  > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                  > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                  > >
                  > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                  > > >
                  > > > that is, you pedal
                  > > > go up hill
                  > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                  > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                  > > >
                  > > > I've only seen it once
                  > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                  > > > i was impressed
                  > > >
                  > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                  > > >
                  > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                  > on tour
                  > > > leave LA and see something
                  > > > breath fresh air, etc
                  > > >
                  > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                  > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                  > > > bicycle
                  > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                  > > >
                  > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                  > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                  > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                  > > >
                  > > > peace...d

                  > bike

                  > > --
                  > > Anne Littlebird
                  > > Issumatuq Herbals
                  > > P.O. Box 5161
                  > > Louisville, KY 40255
                  > > 502-418-1023

                • Devian Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                    good brother or not
                    its up to the individual to use the resources
                    i can only simply provide a bike
                    its just a bike
                    but we all know...
                    its often times the simple things in life that count

                    someone once referred to me as "A Fat Tire Evangelist."
                    lol
                    i still get laffs from that
                    but i guess its pretty much true

                    peace...d
                    www.AsanaCycles.com

                    wrote:

                    > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
                    > tour
                    > leave LA and see something
                    > breath fresh air, etc
                    >
                    > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                    > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                    > bicycle
                    > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                    >
                    > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                    > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                    > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                    >
                    > peace...d

                  • Jeff Youngstrom
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                      On Dec 1, 2007 8:55 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                      > Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
                      > position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
                      > some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
                      > strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
                      > snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
                      > and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

                      I was having a similar problem and solved it by positioning the deck
                      with the clips overlapping the freeloader where it wraps around the
                      v-racks. No motion since and it doesn't seem to be doing the
                      freeloaders any harm. Your tape solution would give more flexibility
                      of where to stick the deck, though. Nice.

                      jeffy
                    • crazylven
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                        > as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                        > this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it
                        > was stated in the Jenson USA website
                        > i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                        > i simply want to build up a new rig
                        >
                        > perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                        > or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                        > once the BD is done.

                        Devian,
                        I  just looked at these pics the other day on Flickr
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1553138531
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1554004404
                        There is your green - I like it too.

                        -Crazy