Minor snapdeck problem solved

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
      position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
      some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
      strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
      snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
      and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

      That is all.

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

        Devian,

                    I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole bike will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike’s left side or some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the drive-side.

        _TONE_

      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
          i mean, WHILE MOVING.
          that is, you pedal
          go up hill
          dog jumps out, runs along side
          and hops back in at the top of the hill

          I've only seen it once
          a guy touring thru Monterey
          i was impressed

          i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog

          these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on tour
          leave LA and see something
          breath fresh air, etc

          he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
          and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a bicycle
          however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble

          daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
          but i keep concocting idears to liberate
          as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.

          peace...d

          On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:

          Devian,

                      I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole bike will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike’s left side or some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the drive-side.

          _TONE_

        • Anne Littlebird
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
            Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
            but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to happen.

            Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
            tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
            difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!

            --
            Anne Littlebird
            Issumatuq Herbals
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
              I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
              border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
              puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.

              I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
              tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).

              the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
              bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
              over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
              back of the X.

              it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
              future for the dogs.

              http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg

              http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
              wrote:

              > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
              > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
              happen.

              > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
              > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
              > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
              >
              > Devian Gilbert wrote:
              > >
              > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
              > >
              > > that is, you pedal
              > > go up hill
              > > dog jumps out, runs along side
              > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
              > >
              > > I've only seen it once
              > > a guy touring thru Monterey
              > > i was impressed
              > >
              > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
              > >
              > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
              on tour
              > > leave LA and see something
              > > breath fresh air, etc
              > >
              > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
              > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
              > > bicycle
              > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
              > >
              > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
              > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
              > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
              > >
              > > peace...d
              > >
              > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
              > >

              > >> Devian,
              > >>
              > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
              > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
              > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
              > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
              > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
              > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
              > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
              bike
              > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
              > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
              > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
              > >> drive-side.
              > >>
              > >> _/TONE/_
              > >>

              > --
              > Anne Littlebird
              > Issumatuq Herbals
              > P.O. Box 5161
              > Louisville, KY 40255
              > 502-418-1023

            • Devian Gilbert
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                i like the bikes at work trailer

                wrote:

                > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                happen.

                > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                >
                > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                > >
                > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                > >
                > > that is, you pedal
                > > go up hill
                > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                > >
                > > I've only seen it once
                > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                > > i was impressed
                > >
                > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                > >
                > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                on tour
                > > leave LA and see something
                > > breath fresh air, etc
                > >
                > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                > > bicycle
                > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                > >
                > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                > >
                > > peace...d
                > >
                > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
                > >

                > >> Devian,
                > >>
                > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
                > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
                > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
                > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
                > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
                > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
                > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
                bike
                > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
                > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
                > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
                > >> drive-side.
                > >>
                > >> _/TONE/_
                > >>

                > --
                > Anne Littlebird
                > Issumatuq Herbals
                > P.O. Box 5161
                > Louisville, KY 40255
                > 502-418-1023

              • murray
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                  I haul my dog in a custom made box which is the same size as the
                  wideloader. Maybe it's just my dog but she doesn't move around much at
                  all. If your going to carry a dog on a bike I recommend a small breed.
                  My girl is a fox terrier / basenji cross and only weighs about 7.5kg
                  which happens to balance with my camping gear just nicely. She can't
                  jump into the box easily which was a good thing when I was training
                  her. She can jump out if she 'really' wants to but the high sides make
                  it difficult for her... but she is happy to sit and wait in there
                  while I shop etc.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/425711459/in/set-72157600058035927/

                  On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

                  > i like the bikes at work trailer
                  >

                  > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
                  >

                  > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
                  > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
                  > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
                  >
                  > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
                  > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
                  >
                  > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
                  > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
                  > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
                  > back of the X.
                  >
                  > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
                  > future for the dogs.
                  >
                  > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg
                  >
                  > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                  > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                  > happen.
                  > >
                  > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                  > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                  > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                  > >
                  > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                  > > >
                  > > > that is, you pedal
                  > > > go up hill
                  > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                  > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                  > > >
                  > > > I've only seen it once
                  > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                  > > > i was impressed
                  > > >
                  > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                  > > >
                  > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                  > on tour
                  > > > leave LA and see something
                  > > > breath fresh air, etc
                  > > >
                  > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                  > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                  > > > bicycle
                  > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                  > > >
                  > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                  > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                  > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                  > > >
                  > > > peace...d

                  > bike

                  > > --
                  > > Anne Littlebird
                  > > Issumatuq Herbals
                  > > P.O. Box 5161
                  > > Louisville, KY 40255
                  > > 502-418-1023

                • tda0818
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                    You sound like a good brother, Devian.

                    --urbino

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
                    wrote:

                    > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
                    > tour
                    > leave LA and see something
                    > breath fresh air, etc
                    >
                    > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                    > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                    > bicycle
                    > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                    >
                    > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                    > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                    > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                    >
                    > peace...d

                  • Devian Gilbert
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                      awesome!
                      that is exactly what i had in my head
                      probably some kind of stray photo-memory synaptic loop thought goin round and round in my noodle
                      and wow!
                      of course...just use coroplast
                      i use to use coroplast for R/C Glider stuff
                      i could go all out on it
                      make a nice box like that, and line it with carpet or something

                      my brother's dog, Ranger, i think is about 30lbs
                      i think i can make this work

                      as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                      this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it was stated in the Jenson USA website
                      i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                      i simply want to build up a new rig

                      perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                      or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                      once the BD is done.

                      On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@ mac.com> wrote:

                      > i like the bikes at work trailer
                      >

                      > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
                      >

                      > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
                      > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
                      > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
                      >
                      > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
                      > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
                      >
                      > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
                      > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
                      > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
                      > back of the X.
                      >
                      > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
                      > future for the dogs.
                      >
                      > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2080907503_ 1b92b93933. jpg
                      >
                      > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2081693100_ 1421cccefa. jpg
                      > --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@. ..>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                      > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                      > happen.
                      > >
                      > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                      > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                      > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                      > >
                      > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                      > > >
                      > > > that is, you pedal
                      > > > go up hill
                      > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                      > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                      > > >
                      > > > I've only seen it once
                      > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                      > > > i was impressed
                      > > >
                      > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                      > > >
                      > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                      > on tour
                      > > > leave LA and see something
                      > > > breath fresh air, etc
                      > > >
                      > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                      > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                      > > > bicycle
                      > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                      > > >
                      > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                      > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                      > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                      > > >
                      > > > peace...d

                      > bike

                      > > --
                      > > Anne Littlebird
                      > > Issumatuq Herbals
                      > > P.O. Box 5161
                      > > Louisville, KY 40255
                      > > 502-418-1023

                    • Devian Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                        good brother or not
                        its up to the individual to use the resources
                        i can only simply provide a bike
                        its just a bike
                        but we all know...
                        its often times the simple things in life that count

                        someone once referred to me as "A Fat Tire Evangelist."
                        lol
                        i still get laffs from that
                        but i guess its pretty much true

                        peace...d
                        www.AsanaCycles.com

                        wrote:

                        > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
                        > tour
                        > leave LA and see something
                        > breath fresh air, etc
                        >
                        > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                        > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                        > bicycle
                        > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                        >
                        > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                        > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                        > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                        >
                        > peace...d

                      • Jeff Youngstrom
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                          On Dec 1, 2007 8:55 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                          > Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
                          > position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
                          > some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
                          > strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
                          > snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
                          > and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

                          I was having a similar problem and solved it by positioning the deck
                          with the clips overlapping the freeloader where it wraps around the
                          v-racks. No motion since and it doesn't seem to be doing the
                          freeloaders any harm. Your tape solution would give more flexibility
                          of where to stick the deck, though. Nice.

                          jeffy
                        • crazylven
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                            > as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                            > this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it
                            > was stated in the Jenson USA website
                            > i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                            > i simply want to build up a new rig
                            >
                            > perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                            > or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                            > once the BD is done.

                            Devian,
                            I  just looked at these pics the other day on Flickr
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1553138531
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1554004404
                            There is your green - I like it too.

                            -Crazy