Re: The Eagle Has Landed!

  • Morgan Giddings
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

      Morgan, I'm glad you're ok!

      I had a similar thing happen on the X a while back, though it was a rear stay rather than front.  However, the fortunate thing with the X is that due to the long wheelbase, I did not go over the handlebars, instead, the tire just skidded the bike to a halt.

      I wonder if these fender stays need more serious consideration as potential safety hazards?  Or maybe it is just people named Morgan that have these problems!

      I wish you a quick recovery,
      Morgan G

      Posted by: "Morgan Scherer" morganes@...   morganelene

      Sat Dec 1, 2007 9:35 pm (PST)

      Speaking of bike accidents...

      I got to provide worry and spectacle for folks yesterday when my front
      fender stay came loose, got caught in my spokes and precipitously
      stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
      and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!
      My helmet is cracked through and thoroughly scuffed. I was unconscious
      for a while, as when I came to I heard the sirens approaching (a
      spectator had called 911). Luckily, I'm fine. Sprained shoulder and
      wrist and bruised, but that's all! My bike's fork is all bent up
      though. Luckily I wasn't on the X with the kids (although, no fenders
      on Xena, so it couldn't have happened anyway, lol). The sunset that
      night was particularly beautiful, coming home from the hospital after my
      brief brush with mortality.

      Moral of the story: I don't think I'll go on a ride anytime soon
      without checking my fender and rack stays for adequate tightness!

      Morgan Scherer
    • Bruce Hallman
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
        On Dec 1, 2007 9:35 PM, Morgan Scherer <morganes@...> wrote:

        > stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
        > and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!

        Wow. Yes, thank goodness for helmets. They really work!
      • Anne Littlebird
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
          I've had several near misses the last few days - people are more
          distracted with the holidays I think. It's time to be more than extra
          careful.

          Anne

          --
          Anne Littlebird
          Issumatuq Herbals
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
            A nice solution to the attention is to always carry a pair of footsies
            along. When they cry out "nice bike!" you stop and smile and offer them
            a ride. Always a winner - once around the block and they will be hooked. :-)

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

              Urbino,

                          Chain tension can sometimes be a problem, especially when your gears and/or chain get slightly worn down and you are cranking hard up an incline. These days I no longer have a multiple gearing on my rear wheel, but instead have opted to go single-speed with a Surly Singleator. The chain tension was still a bit of a problem, but my old bike shop popped open the Singleator removed the spring and manually tightened it up before replacing it.

                          The single speed set up of my bike is most likely NOT something most cargo-hauling Xtracyclists will want to do, but maybe there might be a way of tensing up the spring in a rear derailleur. Also, I have seen a photo of an Xtracycle with a much simpler solution to chain tension. Connect a short bungee cord between the rear derailleur and the rear-step of the FreeRadical frame. I have not tried this myself, but it seems to be pretty sensible.

              _TONE_

            • tda0818
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                Zip ties: is there anything they can't do?

                --urbino

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                wrote:

                > Ouch! Glad you're all right!
                >
                > I had a problem with my rear fender (aluminum at the time). The screw
                > holding it into place came loose and the fender swung around and under
                > the wheel. I'd heard the rattling, but blamed it on a loose snap-deck,
                > since I'd bumped over a few curbs. It happened about 2 years ago. I
                > was probably doing about 40 kph (24 mph) at the time. The 5 m skid
                mark
                > is still on the road. Everything is now reinforced with zip-ties.
                >
                > CL

              • tda0818
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Excellent info as usual, Tone. Thanks!

                  My mechanic did mention that a better rear derailleur (than the stock
                  low-end Shimano on the Townie) would provide better tension. I have
                  some short bungies, so I think I'll give that approach a try.

                  --urbino