Re: The Eagle Has Landed!

  • tda0818
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      Thanks, Mark. I'll shoot you an email.

      As for the issue of getting my X home, I just rode it home! Three
      friends and I rode from the bike shop to my place. One of them is a
      competitive road cyclist, and he knew all kinds of backroads routes.
      Traffic was no problem.

      It was a semi-hilly, windy 10-mile ride, which I'm pretty proud of
      myself for completing, considering I'm nearly 40 and they're all,
      well, not, and they were all on megabuck road bikes and I, well,
      wasn't, and I haven't been on a bike in 10 years.

      They definitely took it easy on me, but, hey, I did all the pedaling
      myself. My daily commute and grocery-getting will be nothing compared
      to that ride.

      Pics on Flickr and Facebook, soon.

      Woohoo!

      --urbino

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

      > The chain has not been a problem for me, but if it worries you you
      can make
      > something out of a skateboard wheel (E-mail me for directions if
      you want)
      > to keep the return side from bouncing around or check a recumbent bike
      > supplier for them. heck, I may even have a couple of old WizWheelz
      idlers
      > around.
      >
      > Transporting. I lashed my e-assist X to a standard bike rack on the
      back of
      > my Mitsubishi Mirage coupe and hauled it home from work one time due to
      > complications in schedule. Even with the 8 lbs of motor on the rear
      end (I
      > put the battery inside the car) it traveled OK for the 7 mile trip. Be
      > careful, but you can do it that way if you like. And my rack is nothing
      > fancy, picked it up ar a garage sale for $5.
      >
      > mark

    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
        yee haw!
        you are well on your way

        congrats on the new rig!

        peace...d

        On Dec 1, 2007, at 2:23 PM, tda0818 wrote:

        Thanks, Mark. I'll shoot you an email.

        As for the issue of getting my X home, I just rode it home! Three
        friends and I rode from the bike shop to my place. One of them is a
        competitive road cyclist, and he knew all kinds of backroads routes.
        Traffic was no problem.

        It was a semi-hilly, windy 10-mile ride, which I'm pretty proud of
        myself for completing, considering I'm nearly 40 and they're all,
        well, not, and they were all on megabuck road bikes and I, well,
        wasn't, and I haven't been on a bike in 10 years.

        They definitely took it easy on me, but, hey, I did all the pedaling
        myself. My daily commute and grocery-getting will be nothing compared
        to that ride.

        Pics on Flickr and Facebook, soon.

        Woohoo!

        --urbino

        --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@. ..> wrote:

        > The chain has not been a problem for me, but if it worries you you
        can make
        > something out of a skateboard wheel (E-mail me for directions if
        you want)
        > to keep the return side from bouncing around or check a recumbent bike
        > supplier for them. heck, I may even have a couple of old WizWheelz
        idlers
        > around.
        >
        > Transporting. I lashed my e-assist X to a standard bike rack on the
        back of
        > my Mitsubishi Mirage coupe and hauled it home from work one time due to
        > complications in schedule. Even with the 8 lbs of motor on the rear
        end (I
        > put the battery inside the car) it traveled OK for the 7 mile trip. Be
        > careful, but you can do it that way if you like. And my rack is nothing
        > fancy, picked it up ar a garage sale for $5.
        >
        > mark

      • tda0818
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
          Thanks, d!

          It was pretty cool, all the way around. The guys at the bike shop had
          been cruising the X website since last night, and they were STOKED.
          They all wanted to have a turn riding it around the parking lot before
          we left. They said customers had been admiring and asking about it
          all morning.

          Then, just before we got back to my place, we rode past the ballet
          school, where some students were standing around outside after
          practice, and one of them hollered, "Nice bike!" as I cruised past (at
          the back of the pack and pretty well gassed, but still rolling).

          If there are any X reps reading, your creation is an enthusiastic HIT
          so far in Memphis.

          --urbino

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
          wrote:

          > yee haw!
          > you are well on your way
          >
          > congrats on the new rig!
          >
          > peace...d

        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
            now you can offer rides!

            :-)

            wrote:

            > yee haw!
            > you are well on your way
            >
            > congrats on the new rig!
            >
            > peace...d

          • Morgan Scherer
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
              Speaking of bike accidents...

              I got to provide worry and spectacle for folks yesterday when my front
              fender stay came loose, got caught in my spokes and precipitously
              stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
              and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!
              My helmet is cracked through and thoroughly scuffed. I was unconscious
              for a while, as when I came to I heard the sirens approaching (a
              spectator had called 911). Luckily, I'm fine. Sprained shoulder and
              wrist and bruised, but that's all! My bike's fork is all bent up
              though. Luckily I wasn't on the X with the kids (although, no fenders
              on Xena, so it couldn't have happened anyway, lol). The sunset that
              night was particularly beautiful, coming home from the hospital after my
              brief brush with mortality.

              Moral of the story: I don't think I'll go on a ride anytime soon
              without checking my fender and rack stays for adequate tightness!

              Morgan Scherer

            • tda0818
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                Ouch. Never a good thing to find oneself coming to, and hearing
                sirens. Glad you're [mostly] alright, Morgan. Will the sprained wing
                keep you from riding for a while?

                --urbino

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan Scherer" <morganes@...>
                wrote:

                > Speaking of bike accidents...
                >
                > I got to provide worry and spectacle for folks yesterday when my front
                > fender stay came loose, got caught in my spokes and precipitously
                > stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
                > and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!
                > My helmet is cracked through and thoroughly scuffed. I was unconscious
                > for a while, as when I came to I heard the sirens approaching (a
                > spectator had called 911). Luckily, I'm fine. Sprained shoulder and
                > wrist and bruised, but that's all! My bike's fork is all bent up
              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Ouch! Glad you're all right!

                  I had a problem with my rear fender (aluminum at the time). The screw
                  holding it into place came loose and the fender swung around and under
                  the wheel. I'd heard the rattling, but blamed it on a loose snap-deck,
                  since I'd bumped over a few curbs. It happened about 2 years ago. I
                  was probably doing about 40 kph (24 mph) at the time. The 5 m skid mark
                  is still on the road. Everything is now reinforced with zip-ties.

                  CL

                  Morgan Scherer wrote:
                  > Speaking of bike accidents...
                  >
                  > I got to provide worry and spectacle for folks yesterday when my front
                  > fender stay came loose, got caught in my spokes and precipitously
                  > stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
                  > and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!
                  > My helmet is cracked through and thoroughly scuffed. I was unconscious
                  > for a while, as when I came to I heard the sirens approaching (a
                  > spectator had called 911). Luckily, I'm fine. Sprained shoulder and
                  > wrist and bruised, but that's all! My bike's fork is all bent up
                  > though. Luckily I wasn't on the X with the kids (although, no fenders
                  > on Xena, so it couldn't have happened anyway, lol). The sunset that
                  > night was particularly beautiful, coming home from the hospital after my
                  > brief brush with mortality.
                  >
                  > Moral of the story: I don't think I'll go on a ride anytime soon
                  > without checking my fender and rack stays for adequate tightness!
                  >
                  > Morgan Scherer
                • Morgan Giddings
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                    Morgan, I'm glad you're ok!

                    I had a similar thing happen on the X a while back, though it was a rear stay rather than front.  However, the fortunate thing with the X is that due to the long wheelbase, I did not go over the handlebars, instead, the tire just skidded the bike to a halt.

                    I wonder if these fender stays need more serious consideration as potential safety hazards?  Or maybe it is just people named Morgan that have these problems!

                    I wish you a quick recovery,
                    Morgan G

                    Posted by: "Morgan Scherer" morganes@...   morganelene

                    Sat Dec 1, 2007 9:35 pm (PST)

[...]

                  • Bruce Hallman
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                      On Dec 1, 2007 9:35 PM, Morgan Scherer <morganes@...> wrote:

                      > stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
                      > and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!

                      Wow. Yes, thank goodness for helmets. They really work!
                    • Anne Littlebird
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                        I've had several near misses the last few days - people are more
                        distracted with the holidays I think. It's time to be more than extra
                        careful.

                        Anne

                        --
                        Anne Littlebird
                        Issumatuq Herbals
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                          A nice solution to the attention is to always carry a pair of footsies
                          along. When they cry out "nice bike!" you stop and smile and offer them
                          a ride. Always a winner - once around the block and they will be hooked. :-)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                            Urbino,

                                        Chain tension can sometimes be a problem, especially when your gears and/or chain get slightly worn down and you are cranking hard up an incline. These days I no longer have a multiple gearing on my rear wheel, but instead have opted to go single-speed with a Surly Singleator. The chain tension was still a bit of a problem, but my old bike shop popped open the Singleator removed the spring and manually tightened it up before replacing it.

                                        The single speed set up of my bike is most likely NOT something most cargo-hauling Xtracyclists will want to do, but maybe there might be a way of tensing up the spring in a rear derailleur. Also, I have seen a photo of an Xtracycle with a much simpler solution to chain tension. Connect a short bungee cord between the rear derailleur and the rear-step of the FreeRadical frame. I have not tried this myself, but it seems to be pretty sensible.

                            _TONE_

                          • tda0818
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                              Zip ties: is there anything they can't do?

                              --urbino

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Ouch! Glad you're all right!
                              >
                              > I had a problem with my rear fender (aluminum at the time). The screw
                              > holding it into place came loose and the fender swung around and under
                              > the wheel. I'd heard the rattling, but blamed it on a loose snap-deck,
                              > since I'd bumped over a few curbs. It happened about 2 years ago. I
                              > was probably doing about 40 kph (24 mph) at the time. The 5 m skid
                              mark
                              > is still on the road. Everything is now reinforced with zip-ties.
                              >
                              > CL

                            • tda0818
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                                Excellent info as usual, Tone. Thanks!

                                My mechanic did mention that a better rear derailleur (than the stock
                                low-end Shimano on the Townie) would provide better tension. I have
                                some short bungies, so I think I'll give that approach a try.

                                --urbino